Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is somewhat of an interesting accounting of a German U-boat attacking barges and the tug. I don't know but I sure as heck wouldn't waste fire power to shoot at a barge of 'lumber'....anyway you can let your eyeballs dance over the words and see what you think.

The Allegheny's accounting of the attack has been attached.

Hope you enjoy​

Attachments

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
U.754's Kriegdagebuch records this attack on the Alleghany, Ontario & Barnegat as follows:-

31.03.1942 at 0808 (C.E.T.): U.754 griff einen Hochseeschlepper und drei Leichtermit Artillerie an. Der schlepper und zwei Leichter wurden versenkt, der dritte Leichter in Brand geschossen, dessen Sinken nicht beobachtet wurde.

The barges are recorded as Ontario (tug?) being 419+tons and the other two as each 914+tons.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I realize the 'tonnage issue'......but still....in my opinion I think 'more important' tonnage would have been a wiser choice, but one thing for sure I was not in the skippers shoes.....

·
Registered
11,516 Posts
When Adm Donitz presented the number of Allied shipping sunk to Adolf it was the numbers that counted in order to receive their iron Cross.

In my humble opinion Donitz and Speer received a light sentence for their War Crimes at Nuremberg.

John.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hugh......What do you mean by a "five star rated thread?" I don't see any stars on my posting or thread.......or am I miss-reading your statement? If you can "enlighten" this old man....I would be delighted.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
If you look Top Right, Bud, you will see a box headed "Rate Thread", all hands are invited to vote as to how they rate a thread: five star indicates, excellent! Click on the word THIS in post#6 to view the thread I made mention of.

( I've been awarded a modest few, such as my videos of Trinity House pilots, and Pilotage on the Hooghly River and one entitled, A Day Off In Kobe)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts