Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People's attitudes towards other people is the biggest change I've noticed.

If you happen to get near another human on a path, you both do that course correction to be on opposite extreme or step off the curb and you both grin at each other in a "we won't be giving either of us the plague today!" style.

The people in the parking bays outside supermarkets are always well natured and everyone is super nice to the poor folk having to steward shoppers.

Washed a car by hand for the first time in 10 years.

Definitely quieter when I'm out.

Less air pollution.

Loving getting on top of the garden, especially after letting it get away last year.

Eating better, but also eating less. Exercising more. So, weight coming down.

Befriending the birds in the garden.

Talking to the wife, ........I've only just heard she's been laid off by Woolworths (*))

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Woolworths big supermarket chain here in Oz, I think there is another in South Africa. Totally unconnected with the other Woolworths.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think we have lost the spirit of this thread, I'm sorry I tried a bit of humor with the Woolworth thing-a-ma-gig and it failed.

OK here we go again:
Lock down haircuts ..................... not really a big issue as when we were at sea it was always a mess ............... unless there was a handy lad onboard that could sort you out.

I sailed on VLCC's in the early 70's as 3rd and 2nd Mate and talk about lock down, even the Old Mans wife looked good at 65+

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Ok , what about some of the predictions of change to our life styles that are cropping up.
We have a very successful airline in Air NZ but the CEO recently retired to have a go at politics, he has the National party leadership in mind.
His just started replacement has come aboard only last month with equally good credentials , he is a Kiwi that has spent the last few years as CEO of Walmart , the USA giant store .
Now with the majority of the fleet parked up on airfields including military bases
apart from a few 777 and 787's being charted by Germany and other nations to get their people home , we have 12000 Germans , mostly back packers stranded here, the airline is just a shadow of its former self.
The new CEO has offered a candid suggestion as to what the re birth might look like and his view is that the passenger business might regrow to less than 50 % of its former self but there will be a rapidly increasing demand for international air freight beyond the recovery period .
Some say he should have stayed with the supermarkets but as he is a proven manager and innovater we will watch thus space .
I am too old to do the sums on relative costs of container ships versus airfreight Although the latter must be considerably higher but a jumbo 747 or it replacements would be far cheaper to build without portholes and seating and with only two pilots, maybe three on long haul , far cheaper to fly.
Just my bit of waffle but permanent dpchanges are bound to set in some where some how

Bob

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
A development suggested as our technology advances into 5 G and beyond is the concept of virtual tourism.
At an establishment near you , you pay a fee then enter a vast room ,screens and mirrors, lights and leads , sound equipment and all with a battered old Land Rover parked central .
You get on board and the lights come on to put you in the midst of the Serengeti and as the vehicle seemingly bumps and rocks as it crosses the terrain you see a huge elephant looming up toward the truck , you smell it , you even feel the waft of its breath as it lumbers past before a lion appears .
Too close for comfort as it paws the driver's window and roars through it's wide open jaws and huge fangs.
Many more close shaves before you end your tour when to be greeted by Sir David Attenborough puts the icing on the cake.

The lights go on , you are ushered out to allow the next tourist a trip and then offered a selection of other virtual tours that might please you.
Canoeing down the rapids ? Visiting the Louvre? Swimming with the sharks ? Lying on a tropical shore with nothing on?
What ever floats you boat , it's reality or as good as , it only costs a fraction of the real thing and your get home to your own Tele programme and bed that night .
This will sink a thousand cruise ships , leave the animals in peace , and cut pollution to the core !
Is this guy dreaming, maybe not.

Bob

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
A development suggested as our technology advances into 5 G and beyond is the concept of virtual tourism.
At an establishment near you , you pay a fee then enter a vast room ,screens and mirrors, lights and leads , sound equipment and all with a battered old Land Rover parked central .
You get on board and the lights come on to put you in the midst of the Serengeti and as the vehicle seemingly bumps and rocks as it crosses the terrain you see a huge elephant looming up toward the truck , you smell it , you even feel the waft of its breath as it lumbers past before a lion appears .
Too close for comfort as it paws the driver's window and roars through it's wide open jaws and huge fangs.
Many more close shaves before you end your tour when to be greeted by Sir David Attenborough puts the icing on the cake.

The lights go on , you are ushered out to allow the next tourist a trip and then offered a selection of other virtual tours that might please you.
Canoeing down the rapids ? Visiting the Louvre? Swimming with the sharks ? Lying on a tropical shore with nothing on?
What ever floats you boat , it's reality or as good as , it only costs a fraction of the real thing and your get home to your own Tele programme and bed that night .
This will sink a thousand cruise ships , leave the animals in peace , and cut pollution to the core !
Is this guy dreaming, maybe not.

Bob
I remember a science fiction book years ago.."We can remember it for you wholesale"..I think

Arnie made a film about it..Total Recall...rubbish

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Ok , what about some of the predictions of change to our life styles that are cropping up.
We have a very successful airline in Air NZ but the CEO recently retired to have a go at politics, he has the National party leadership in mind.
His just started replacement has come aboard only last month with equally good credentials , he is a Kiwi that has spent the last few years as CEO of Walmart , the USA giant store .
Now with the majority of the fleet parked up on airfields including military bases
apart from a few 777 and 787's being charted by Germany and other nations to get their people home , we have 12000 Germans , mostly back packers stranded here, the airline is just a shadow of its former self.
The new CEO has offered a candid suggestion as to what the re birth might look like and his view is that the passenger business might regrow to less than 50 % of its former self but there will be a rapidly increasing demand for international air freight beyond the recovery period .
Some say he should have stayed with the supermarkets but as he is a proven manager and innovater we will watch thus space .
I am too old to do the sums on relative costs of container ships versus airfreight Although the latter must be considerably higher but a jumbo 747 or it replacements would be far cheaper to build without portholes and seating and with only two pilots, maybe three on long haul , far cheaper to fly.
Just my bit of waffle but permanent dpchanges are bound to set in some where some how

Bob
I wonder what this is going to do to Boeing.... can't see much demand for new 'planes for some time to come....

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
No Cisco, I believe that many an airline with provisional orders are cancelling as with the predicted failures. In the business there will be plenty of 'near new low mileage ' bargains to pick up.
Besides Boeing is already toward the red with the latest 737 model problems .

Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts