Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sailed on her on her second trip from brand new,beautiful ship, the one and only air conditioned vessel I ever sailed on, she belonged to Ropners,horrible green colour she was though,we did what was called then the San Tanker run then, one trip down to South America and one to the East coast of the USA,twas said they did that so they did not have to pay us Yanky Bonus,twas about a nine month trip, payed off by mutual agreement in Rotterdam a few days before xmas, some sculldugery by the owners went on there, had to pay me own fare home.
:bur:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello Tony
I sailed on her twice the first time i joined her in Greece and ended up down the carribian doing the island fling then venezula to canada and back down trough panama to mexico and then the states back down to panama were i went on leave that was seven months i rejoined her in stanlow and did another six on her she was a good can but was getting on a bit but had some good times on her

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Think that was the only one time that Ropners were into tankers.
She was supposed to be a great improvement from their regular ships.
Bill

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She was certainly the best ship I ever sailed on, modern, air conditioned, good accomodation,good feeder best crowd I ever sailed with as well,I think she also had a swimming pool but my memory may be at fault there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
When I was in Bowaters running from Cornerbrook Newfoundland to New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore etc with newsprint. The Thrilby was in Cornerbrook with us on one ocassion, the crowd were fighting all the locals including the Mounties, I think her sailing was delayed until most of the crowd that were locked up were released by the Mounties. I hope they worked as hard as they played.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Larry I Rejoined The Thirlby In 74 I Had Erlyer Paid Off In Panama She Was Atlantic Bound Then Wher I Rejoined I Was Told About The Fight In Canada
Jd

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think I must have sailed on the Thirlby towards the end of her life, (March 1980 - Dec 1980) it was dropping apart, the air con never worked, there was always problems with the piston rings and boilers breaking, infact the chief engineer was killed during my time on her. The swimming pool was a bonus though, all them months in the red sea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sailed on thirlby 1963 joined in cardiff up the gulf down to capetown loureno marques lisbon point a pierre trinadad liverpool paid off good ship great crew most from cardiff barry

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another strange memory of Thirlby surfaces, another thing I remember about her,my cabin key was huge brass things like the keys to a bloody castle, not a comfortable thing to carry in yer wrangler pocket ashore,so everybody used to hide em on the air ducts in the alley way.
Memory is weird thing.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I recall working on Thirlby in the late 1950's early 60's at Falmouth Docks, I also saw her at Bandar Mashur, September 1964, while I was on British Resource.
Ropner also had another tanker at this time, Thornaby which was slightly older.
Cheers.
Nigel.

·
Registered
10,061 Posts
We used to look after the Thirlby on her voyages to Stanlow until she was sold for scrap.
I remember Captain Charles Tingle was the Master on most occasions.
Anybody remember him,who sailed with Ropners, if so any info if he is still alive.

Regards
Keith

·
Registered
443 Posts
I sailed on the Thirlby twice near the end of her time with Ropners. May 1979 to Sept 1979 and Feb 1980 to Aug 1980. I was a deck cadet.

Captain Colin Tingle was Master on the first trip and what a remarkable man he was. Superb seaman and character. At least until a couple of years ago I heard he was still around, being present at the unveiling of a memorial on Teeside to lost Ropner men during the wars. (Check it out on the net under Billy McGee).

I have fond memories of the Thirlby and the crowd on her but being up the Arabian Gulf / Red Sea with no AC was no joke.

·
Registered
190 Posts
ray.c

hi guys, I sailed her in jan 61 to may 61, i think we went to mina and back
i think the skipper was a guy called colsdon, we tied barrels of fuel which
broke loose when we went through the B of B in a F10 no body was hurt but it was hairy for bit.(Frogger)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I remember Captain Charles Tingle was the Master on most occasions. Anybody remember him,who sailed with Ropners, if so any info if he is still alive.

Regards
Keith
Captain Colin Tingle is still with us as I saw him the other day. He will 83 next year. He is still as cheerful as ever and bright as a button, though suffering from Myasthenia Gravis, a muscle disorder, he does not let it get him down. He only gave up peddling his bike to the bookies the other year.

Photo's attach. of Colin at the Ropner Memorial unveiling in 2005

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You must have joined her on her next trip Mr Ray,I paid off her 18.12.61 in Amsterdam.
Just looking at me Discharge book the Captains signature is very blurred it could be F or J Hart?
I remember the Thirlby very fondly,my first real deep sea trip.
Another trick of the strangeness of memory I cannot recall the Captains name but I rememberthe crews mess room had those new fangled Glass plates(pyrex or summat) if you dropped on which I did,they shattered into a million wee cubes the flew remarkable distances,I recall spending an hour tracking them down and sweeping them up from the messroom deck.
:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I sailed on the Thrilby For 7 months.Joined her in Curacao from Glasgow.I was asst steward on her.We were chartered to Shell.Curacao was our loading port,we used to go to West Africa,then back,load for the Bahamas.Sometimes we used to do the Maracaibo Lakes in Venezuela.At one point our boat was like Noahs ark,A dog,ducks parrots and at one point a rooster.That only lasted about 4 days,it ended up getting fed to the sharks for ****ting in the mess room.Our crew consisted of cockneys, jocks,scousers.A real mixed bag oh and Arab firemen.We had some really crazy times on that ship.I could fill a book and that is only one trip.We paid off in Norway in November 1974.Suffice to say we had to get rid of most of the livestock before we came to Europe.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My first solo ship as a Marconi sparks in 1964. It would have been in the winter. It was also my first trans-Atlantic flight from Heathrow to New York where I was met at JFK by a taxi-driver who took me across the city to Penn State Station. He gave me some money there and I booked a ticket to Baltimore. Arrived in a very wintry Baltimore at about 2100 hours where I was met by a Dutch technician (probably ITT) who took me down to the ship and then expected me to fix a defective radar with him. Whether it got fixed or not I can't remember. The ship was ok, the run was ok (Shell charter - states coast). It seemed to be load gas oil in either Curacao or Maracaibo and discharge it in Bayonne or Baltimore. I don't seem to remember anywhere else much (perhaps Corner Brook Nfld). I don't remember the captain but the 2nd mate was a man called Paul Fineron who came from York and I think there was an apprentice called Bamforth from Hull. The chief steward was from Whitby and the grub seemed to be mainly hot dogs, but it was ok. The mate was a fart from South Shields who had got married to a much younger woman, and it showed, and the 3rd mate was a sound guy from Glasgow. The crew seemed to be largely Scouse and the bosun I remember as a really good guy. The chippie probably didn't think so because he duffed him up in his bunk one night. Ashore some of the crew were best avoided. When I signed off a few months later in South Shields (Smith's drydock) I realised Ropner was a good company, they gave me my rail ticket home. That was the only time that happened when I worked for Marconi.

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
Marconi were pretty tight, but i'm fairly sure I always got a travel warrant when joining and leaving. I seem to recall that it was a BOT requirement to return you to your homeport.

John T

1 - 20 of 32 Posts