Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being and IT guy I can confirm that this site has been sold to an overseas company. Look at your right hand side, ads, click on there and they get paid... I am done with this site... shame...

·
Administrator
269 Posts
Utter nonsense, Why are people so concerned about who owns it? Why beware?

It is a business they are running, which means they make money!

If you don't like it go elsewhere?

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Which successful business tells its customers to go elsewhere? Whatever happened to "the customer is king?"

·
Administrator
269 Posts
When did the owners tell you to go elsewhere ? And if you become a paying customer when subscription comes in then you may be a customer, at the moment you'r a guest on a commercial platform?

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
Come on. We all have got the message that the gallery users are anxiously, noisily and impatiently awaiting a promised fix (promised investigation anyway) and the bowdlerising feature is lameduckware. Proselyting (and doing so on several forums) for those that still enjoy a quiet wander through the young persons version of SN that remains functional to leave is to what end? Punishment? Spoiling the enjoyment of those whose preferred usage remains functional and, perhaps, functionality enhanced? Why not take some leave and dip back in again occasionally to see if things have become more to your liking? Those of us who also 'do' SH will not turn away the moaners but we may well not be so welcoming to those set on burning her boats as enthusiastically as seems fashionable over here at the moment.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Come on. We all have got the message that the gallery users are anxiously, noisily and impatiently awaiting a promised fix (promised investigation anyway) and the bowdlerising feature is lameduckware. Proselyting (and doing so on several forums) for those that still enjoy a quiet wander through the young persons version of SN that remains functional to leave is to what end? Punishment? Spoiling the enjoyment of those whose preferred usage remains functional and, perhaps, functionality enhanced? Why not take some leave and dip back in again occasionally to see if things have become more to your liking? Those of us who also 'do' SH will not turn away the moaners but we may well not be so welcoming to those set on burning her boats as enthusiastically as seems fashionable over here at the moment.
Well said,Varley.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Being and IT guy I can confirm that this site has been sold to an overseas company. Look at your right hand side, ads, click on there and they get paid... I am done with this site... shame...
:sleep:Bye bye John

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Yes, I'll go along with that.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I can't understand why it was necessary to change the site's format - apart from greed. We were all comfortable with the original layout. I don't remember seeing any posts suggesting the site was somehow lacking or difficult. There were some concerns about spam being hacked onto the site, but it was minimal. So why change it all? Because of some imagined need to be modern and up-to date? With that reasoning, we might as well knock down the Tower of London because it is so old and therefore has no place in the 'modern' gig-economy world.
I always thought that this site was aimed at those who might have been at sea within recent memory and who sought old companions who wished to share their stories. But looks like I'm wrong - it is now designed for the non-seafarers who, unlike we oldies, are likely to buy on-line rubbish. We older seafarers have been drop-kicked into touch! The sad part is when we are gone, who would want Ships Nostalgia?
Dunno if I will stay.

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
Why change the software? The aims should be, and I am sure were here, to make it future-compliant and perform better for the majority - hardware has a finite lifetime and ones existing software does not always port to the new platform and operating system. If that were not a general and obvious routine we would be restricted to painting rude pictograms on our cave wall about the one next -door having whitewashed over our favourite graffito.

Anyone still use a bulletin board?

Of course costs comes in to 'it' and, if a commercial concern, that includes the necessary profit to maintain the interest of investors. Does anyone think SN should be provided at the taxpayers expense? If so which taxpayers?

·
Registered
234 Posts
What other site is there, can somebody recommend a site and post a link. Don't like what I am seeing (layout, search etc) and hearing

·
Registered
7,326 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
But we should add that boat burners and saboteurs will receive less friendly welcome if they start setting fires over there!

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
When did the owners tell you to go elsewhere ? And if you become a paying customer when subscription comes in then you may be a customer, at the moment you'r a guest on a commercial platform?
Steve,

The owners have never communicated with me, I was responding to the advice that you, an Administrator, was giving in your post. I found it unusual and not one that I would expect to be proffered by an employee of any company for which I worked. As for your doubt as to whether or not I am a customer of the site, presumably people such as me who visit the site and make postings, are the sole target of those advertisers who pay the site owners for bringing them potential customers. The advertisers surely do not contribute to the pockets of the site owners from a sense of altruism or of benevolence to the owners, their adminstrators and other employees; they are only interested in the sales potential that the site can bring. As a member I am one of those 'targets' so I consider myself a customer, if only an indirect one, of the advertisers. Sending discouraging messages to members just seems odd.

I have no objections whatever to the site being commercial and supported by advertisers - some external financial mechanism has to fund its operation if it is not to charge users for the privilege - and I do consider free use of the site to be a privilege. For that reason I have no problem with the site changes and, as long as it can be accessed for free, I intend to continue doing so. I far prefer the layout and facilities that were provided by the former platform but can cope with the changes without difficulty and am quite satisfied to continue with the new format. Since I joined in 2005 there have been a number of format or content changes and at each such event there were complaints and threats of departure from members. That is their personal choice and I would not object to anyone deciding to leave the site. I would, however, never consider encouraging them to do so.

Reactions: John Jarman

·
Registered
337 Posts
ohh damn what has happened to this site, when did they change it over, i cant see how the old style was lacking or why it needed to be upgraded older sites can be made to run with minimal issues, the only reason why stuff gets changed is they want to be up to date with everyone else, im still running windows 7 here and dont have issues, i had on another computer i have in my room and i rolled it back to 7, nor do i use any virus protection as its merely malware thats the issue today, and all you do is run malwarebytes to find any issues if performace lacks.

as for futureproofing stuff no such thing as that these days as publishers or site builders keep on making certain software obsolete or they phase newer stuff into sites thus there needs to be upgrades, but upgrades is not really needed as if it dont break why fix it, and in many cases the so called update and fix is sometimes more of an issue then if they ironed out any bugs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts