Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just come across a photo of LADY SOPHIA owned by Thomas Watson ( Sg.) Ltd.In 1962 they had six vessels with a very distinctive livery ;
Light blue hulls with red boot topping and funnels of yellow with light blue band between two red bands.
Their fleet in 1962 ;
LADY SANDRA-LADY SHARON-LADY SONIA-LADY SOPHIA-LADY SYBILLA-LADY SYLVIA.
Could any member please offer details of their operations or cargoes please?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
On Lady Dorothy in 87 relieving. Registered in limassol. mixed crew. Loaded coal in Southampton for Galway but turned out the wrong type of coal and the reciever refused to accept it. Took it to Liverpool and discharged but suffered a lot of damage to the coamings. Terrible feeder as I remember. Cheers janathull

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I have just come across a photo of LADY SOPHIA owned by Thomas Watson ( Sg.) Ltd.In 1962 they had six vessels with a very distinctive livery ;
Light blue hulls with red boot topping and funnels of yellow with light blue band between two red bands.
Their fleet in 1962 ;
Thanks.
There was an illustrated company history including the fleet details published a few years ago by the World Ship Society. Not sure of the author. I think Capt. Ken Garrett

No idea on price but one of their numerous contact address's is
WSS,
Oakwood,
21 The Chantry,
Rooksbridge,
Axbridge,
Somerset
BS26 2TR

Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thomas Watson (Shipping) Ltd.

Hi,

I worked for Thomas Watson Shipping from 1981-1984. I didn't actually get to see any of the ships (I was only an import clerk at the time) but remember the name Lady Sophia. I think they are still in business:

Thomas Watson (Shipping) Ltd
252 St. Margarets Banks, High Street,
ROCHESTER,
ME1 1HY

Tel: 01634 844632

The owners used to be two brothers (John and Peter Bradley) but I don't know if they are still alive. TPeter Bradley had a son, so he may have taken over th business.

Regards

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I thought they had folded sometime at turn of the Century, could be wrong (often are)....their Lady Daphne is the Thames Sailing Barge anchored in St. Katherines Dock near the Tower of London.

geoff

·
Registered
994 Posts
One of there ships that sticks in my mind was the Lady Elsie, Master was Ron Wood and typical of Ron the ship was immaculate in every sense. This would have been early 90's. She occasionally ran to Shoreham with Marble from the Med.

regards
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello I,m John Lane.
I trained on HMS Worcester in 1950/51 and sailed on the Lady Sophia of Thos Watson to get some sea going experience during the summer of '51.
I then did my time with P&O and one voyage on the Strathnaver as 4/o before leaving to join Union Castle. I left in '61 and took up engineering. I was also an RNR officer for 25 years.
Although retired I continue to write articles for magazines and am the author of The Martingale Chronices using a pseudonym.
My web site is www.litcintsales.co.uk

Recently I wrote an article about my trip on the Lady Sophia and am looking for a decent 'photo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
lady sybilla

Their fleet in 1962 ;
Thanks.
I was deckhand on the lady sybilla,we were carrying petoleum coke rotterdam to newcastle,picked up china clay from charlestown,coal to whitstable,grain from holland,and after i payed off she went to channel islands.brain power not so good nowadays but will try again

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was deckhand on the lady sybilla,we were carrying petoleum coke rotterdam to newcastle,picked up china clay from charlestown,coal to whitstable,grain from holland,and after i payed off she went to channel islands.brain power not so good nowadays but will try again
Thanks for those details Dave. well noted. Heres hoping that some ex seamates see your posting.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi,

I worked for Thomas Watson Shipping from 1981-1984. I didn't actually get to see any of the ships (I was only an import clerk at the time) but remember the name Lady Sophia. I think they are still in business:

Thomas Watson (Shipping) Ltd
252 St. Margarets Banks, High Street,
ROCHESTER,
ME1 1HY

Tel: 01634 844632

The owners used to be two brothers (John and Peter Bradley) but I don't know if they are still alive. TPeter Bradley had a son, so he may have taken over th business.
No, not at all in business. As Erimus says, they went out of business at the turn of the century.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I served aboard The Lady Serena back around 1970 at the time if I recall the fleet consisted of The Lady Serena, Sabina, Sabyla, Sabeena, Sheena, Sophia and one other that I cant remember. The Serena was 199 nett tons, 400 something when loaded. When in ballast she drew 3ft 3inches aft and nothing forward due to her forward ballast tank being inoperable. She was 136 ft stem to stern and 29ft 9 inches in the beam. As 4th hand ( the lowest rank aboard) I had to hand pump 70 galls of fuel into the service tank every six hours. every day I had to do the same thing with 1 ton of fresh water, this with one foot either side of the propshaft. Serena was the first in the fleet of her class and unlike later additions had no roller hatches no electric pumps, no luxuries of any kind. The crew consisted of The Skipper ( name of Pete something) The Mate called Geoff, 3rd Hand John Blackery and myself as the general dogs body. We traded from Dundee in the North round to Charlestown and Par in the South. across to France, Belgium and Holland carrying various bulk cargoes. She nearly sank twice in my time aboard, 1st time in the Royal Victoria Dock when the 3rd Hand forgot to shut the seacock and second time after anchoring up at Garrison Point in the Meday overnight, we pulled up the hook and steamed towards our base at Rochester. A cooling pipe split and filled the engine room (which we had just painted and now had bilge oil right up to the top of the bulkheads. Best part was that on this trip the Skipper was on shore leave and the boat was in the hands of Geoff who had join the Serena as mate after losing his Masters ticket following the loss of his former ship as a result of him striking a 1000 ton barge coming out of Rye harbour. His face was a picture thinking he was going to loose another ship. Anyway some of my memories of life aboard the Lady Serena.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thomas Watson Shipping

My name is Dick Massey
I worked for Thomas Watsons shipping
first as mate in the Lady Sylvia in 1958 then master of the Lady sonia
lady Sarita/ Serena/Sybilla ,and more
but only in there smaller ships trading in the north sea and channel
trades, I would be pleased to help answer any questions on these ships.
I collected several of there new buildings from yards in the north of
Holland.
also spent a few years with the Lady Sonia on Charter to eastern counties farmers of Ipswich, but with new owners,

1 - 20 of 29 Posts