Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all

Does anybody have any details/pics concerning the subsequent history of this Tilapa (registered Surrey Shipping Co Ltd) working for E.&F

Tks

NigelC

·
Registered
17 Posts
'Tilapa' was my first trip as 2/eng and it was voyage two (Aug 63-Nov 63) for the ship. The Chief was Percy Longville, Captain Cruickshank, C/Steward Peter Wood, C/Frig Bob Banks. I was having a beer in Bobs cabin, when alongside in Helsinki and we heard on the radio that John F Kennedy had been shot!! Doesn't everybody remember where they were when JFK was shot? Can't remember details of Voyage one other than Ted Jarvis was 2/Eng.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I sailed on the maiden voyage from Germary in 1961 July/nov was Bosun just ddone one trip left to go back to Bernerhaven to take the new SS Turrialba on her maiden voyage
Bosun bill

·
Registered
90 Posts
sailed on tilapa august 68 till feb 69 Nicholson was skipper cannot rmember who else was their I was an asst/stwd. R815614 eddie

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
alongside in Helsinki and we heard on the radio that John F Kennedy had been shot!!
Hi, Bill,
I was first trip 4/E on that one.
Was that the one which loaded in Guayaquil, Ecuador or was it the next one to Bremen which loaded in Guayaquil?
Just recently been e-mailing George Fairgrieve.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
p.s. JFK went down on 22NOV1963. Just noticed that I paid off in Bremen on 26NOV1963 so we must have steamed around there after discharging in Helsinki which was a fairly nippy passage. About three days at 15kn plus entering and leaving port and either through the canal or around the top.

We usually discharged in Bremerhaven so I guess she went in to Bremen for some maintenance. I didn't break it - honest! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts