Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I were in the UK and be able to vote ; cant wait for the final result although that will most likely give us any affirmative direction .
I predict that Scotland Ireland and Wales will all go 93% plus on home rule ; just to confuse the issue .

I hope that some leadership can make the Pound rebound again so that us ex pats can recoup a bit of our pension which has diminished sadly over the last few years ( coupled with the fact that most of us dont have indexed pensions which has doubled the issue over the last few years )
If I moved to USA ; only 100 miles south my pension would be indexed
The World has gone Mad ; Who was at Vimmey Ridge ( Canada if my mind is still working ; dont think the Yanks were there at all )
WW2 Canada also did its bit and more before the US eventually entered the fray when Japan gave them a wake up call .

Back to the plot ; what happens after today for the good of the UK and the rest of the world ????

Can the UK ever take the lead again ; I dream that the can : then I wake up .
Good luck to all Derek

·
Registered
992 Posts
Thanks for the good luck Derek.
Usually it’s evening time when I go to our polling station. Fits in with the working day. No rush & I’m settled in my mind how I’m going to vote.
Today was at the polling station around 07:30. No real rush this time either. Just needed to get it out of the way as soon as possible. Never for me, has voting been such an objectionable task.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I wish I were in the UK and be able to vote ; cant wait for the final result although that will most likely give us any affirmative direction .
I predict that Scotland Ireland and Wales will all go 93% plus on home rule ; just to confuse the issue .

Back to the plot ; what happens after today for the good of the UK and the rest of the world ????

Can the UK ever take the lead again ; I dream that the can : then I wake up .

Good luck to all Derek
Indeed my friend:
A marginal win by either of the 2 main parties and we are back to square one.

This passage taken from a leading US/Global shipping Freight Forwarder that appeared in their weekly news bulletin :

The UK holds another election to determine Brexit and Britain's future
Voters in the United Kingdom head to the polls Thursday for a crucial election that could determine the country's future and how and when it will break off of the European Union.

This will be the fifth major vote in the country in under five years — including two previous general elections, European Parliament elections and the Brexit referendum — a sign of how chaotic British politics have become

The last comment sums things up I fear.

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
Although there is a gigantic amount of bollix coming from politicians of all colours, what has deeply impressed me is the procedures, rules etc that govern the House of Commons. Like it or not the rules are applied and democracy is made to work. If the "House" doesn't agree with something, they will protest and act against it. It keeps a curb on people like Johnson who wanted to break any rule that didn't suit him.
I think Ken Clarke impressed me most of all with his straight talking.
Parliament is great, politicians in general are self seeking ******'s

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
"I think Ken Clarke impressed me most of all with his straight talking."

The last of the "Statesmen"...…..he will be missed.
Here here!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts