Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all visited toilets in pubs, restaurants etc. and it never fails to surprise me the various names that I see in some.

There are, of course the standard 'Gents' & 'Ladies'. I've also seen 'Stags' & 'Hinds' 'Knights' & 'Damsels', but the funniest I've seen is 'Shake Dry' & 'Drip Dry'.

What is the strangest/funniest names you have seen anywhere?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
During the slump in the 1930’s lots of seamen were thrown out of work and this is the tale of one first mate who found himself walking the streets in Tiger Bay Cardiff, thoroughly depressed, down at heel and wondering where the next meal was coming from.
A large car goes by with the driver smoking a big cigar and the mate recognises him as the bosun on his last ship. He waves frantically and the car stops and sure enough it is the bosun. He remarks on the posh car and the bosun explains that he is now the area manager for the Prudential Insurance Company and that business was booming . The mate asks him if there is a possibility of a job and the ex-bosun says – “ Sure – here’s my card. Come to the office tomorrow at ten and I’ll fix you up with a job”
The mate is delighted and gets to the Prudential office next day where the bosun sits behind a big desk with a busty secretary nearby. He tells the mate that he can be a salesman selling insurance policies door to door. He hands him a sheaf of policies and says he will make a fortune in commission – no wage- just commission.
The mate thanks him profusely and hoofs it around the streets of Cardiff, knocking on doors and trying to sell the policies. However, he finds that on-one wants insurance but he plods on all week with not a single sale.
On the Friday, thoroughly brassed off he climbs the steps of a run down Victorian house and knocks on the door.
A little girl answers and he says to her – “ Is your mother in the Prudential ?”
The little girl says – “No – she’s in the Sh**house”
The mate says – “ Well give her these will you” – handing her the sheaf of policies –“ and tell her to wipe her bottom with them “

Hence in our house the toilet is always referred to as “the Prudential”

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Out here the toilets are known as CR's the doors are marked Babai(f) and Lalaki(m)
Soon after arriving here i was stood outside these two doors wondering which was which (in a bus terminal very early morning n Cagayan de Oro) Nobody went in or came out. I ended up boarding the bus as it was about to leave with a full bladder. By the time we reached Monkayo I was first of the bus, I hit the ground running. Man I could have peed for England that day! Much to the amusement of my soon to be wife who later explained which door was which.

Cornwall was much easier with "Yer Tiz" on the door.

·
Premium Member
11,597 Posts
Christmas evening.... Santa and the sleigh is making deliveries. Anyhow, the sleigh is crashed onto the roof of outdoor loo. Santa is covered in all muck. He says to, "Rudolph! I said land on the Schmidt House!"

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a new one for me, Pat.

Love the story, BillyBoy.

Great jokes too :)

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
Outside Gents toilet of the George Inn, Newport IOW. Painted on the wall was the picture of a wizened old farmer type, beard, straw in mouth, string around trouser legs and so on. Saying "Yere tiz m'dears!" Don't know if it's still there these days.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Sign on a train toilet door "Do not use this toilet when the train is standing at the station" Some bright spark wrote underneath
"Except at Chatham"

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
The Karsie,I wonder if the president of Afganistan is called after one,in the toilet at the seamans hotel opposite the Liverpool pool the grafiti read A Happy Xmas to all our readers.Any more graffiti that the brethren can recall,but please none that you wouldn't tell your mother.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
A pub in Dover which was originally called "Dover Tavern" then changed to "The Flotilla" has changed name yet again and is now called "The Duchess". The toilets are now called "Dukes" and "Duchesses".

Alec.

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
During a loo paper shortage on a ship. The purser posted a note on the loo doors directing officer's wives to limit themselves to 3 pieces per visit:
One fore and aft
One athwartships and
One polishing.
(Applause)(Applause)(Pint)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Design question for the engineers amongst us.
Flushing toilet was apparently invented in 1596.
Why, after 500 years, are we still producing toilet bowls where the 'proceeds' do not flush properly and remain half stranded. Surely there must be a perfectly designed toilet somewhere.
Is it the direction of the controlled flush or the angle one sits and aims that causes the problem.
Am sure it is not just me that finds this annoying at times.
Particularly when visiting a strange loo.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts