Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was saddened tonight to hear of the passing of Tommy Smith. Tommy was primarily known as a tough, uncompromising, hard tackling defender but this description hides the fact that he was also a very fine footballer and a beautiful striker of a football. He apparently suffered from a number of ailments in his latter years including dementia and arthritis. I hope he meets up with his beloved Shanks when he gets upstairs and I am sure that Liverpool will pay him his due respects. My thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP Tommy Smith.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
One of the true greats of that famous Liverpool side of the 60's and 70's. I was fortunate to see him at the Boleyn Ground, not many got past him that day!

R.I.P.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Tom was a no nonsense brick wall of a man, rumoured to say to opponents, "You might get past me once Lad, but not a second time.".
He had a real passion for the game and inspired all his team-mates with his personality and football skills.
The 'namby-pamby', fairy-like strikers of today who fall over when a defender breaths on them, would be wanting the likes of Tommy red carded every game.

You were a man in man's game Tom, RIP.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing him play live, he was around when footballers had to stand up and be counted, and he also won plenty of medals..

R.I.P. Tommy

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
A sad day for football especially Liverpool as Shanks Commented he wasn't born he was quarried from rock.Rest in peace Tom and I am sure Shanks will welcome you with open arms.

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
It was said that Liverpool mothers kept his picture on the mantelpiece to keep their kids away from the fire.
Although he was hard, there were others even harder.
I was there at a Merseyside derby game when he tried his tricks with Jimmy Gabriel, who took umbrage and left the bold Tommy on his arce.
He stayed away from JG after that.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom was a no nonsense brick wall of a man, rumoured to say to opponents, "You might get past me once Lad, but not a second time.".
He had a real passion for the game and inspired all his team-mates with his personality and football skills.
The 'namby-pamby', fairy-like strikers of today who fall over when a defender breaths on them, would be wanting the likes of Tommy red carded every game.

You were a man in man's game Tom, RIP.
He apparently said to Bestie, that he might go past and the ball might go past but the two together will not go past him. A real character from when the game was full of characters not like now when they are all media savvy clones.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Before a match against Manchester United Tommy was asked on local radio if he had any advice to give to United and he advised them to wear corduroy shorts.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
One of the original few who made Shanks vision into reality. I'll never forget the commentators surprise when he realised it was Tom who scored the header from the corner in the European cup final in 1977.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts