Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
Technical assistance required please, what exactly is the difference between a Mandal Fairlead Shackle and a Tonsberg Mooring link?
I have been familiar and used the Tonsberg on Tankers I served on, the Mandal not sighted yet.
Thanks in advance.
Yours aye,
Slick

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tonsberg and Mandal Shackles

All,
Thanks for the reply, I am however familiar with the shackles , is there a difference in their applications and uses?
Yours aye,
Slick

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
slick said:
All,
Thanks for the reply, I am however familiar with the shackles , is there a difference in their applications and uses?
Yours aye,
Slick
Slick

We use both kinds offshore in mooring operations. Basically both are used to connect fibre ropes to metal ropes to pass through fairleads. The types we have onboard at present the Mandal has a sheeve in it were the Tonsberg has a fixed pin. We tend to go mainly for the Mandal as get less wear and tear on the fibre ropes.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tonsberg or Mandal

All,
gydnia thanks for the enlightenment
Yours aye,
slick

We use both kinds offshore in mooring operations. Basically both are used to connect fibre ropes to metal ropes to pass through fairleads. The types we have onboard at present the Mandal has a sheeve in it were the Tonsberg has a fixed pin. We tend to go mainly for the Mandal as get less wear and tear on the fibre ropes.[/QUOTE]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts