Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just idly reading the blog on this site- other navies the 'Black TOT day.
It made me wonder back in the 60's on some of the 28's 32, and 16's and field days tank diving, for running repairs and de-sludgeing my memory, plays tricks, However I seem to remember on these occasions the master/captain with the bottle of 4 bells rum would offer a tot on the spot to all the tank diving crew [ all ranks], Maybe I am mistaken, and it was only certain masters???

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
just idly reading the blog on this site- other navies the 'Black TOT day.
It made me wonder back in the 60's on some of the 28's 32, and 16's and field days tank diving, for running repairs and de-sludgeing my memory, plays tricks, However I seem to remember on these occasions the master/captain with the bottle of 4 bells rum would offer a tot on the spot to all the tank diving crew [ all ranks], Maybe I am mistaken, and it was only certain masters???
Spot on David, quite common on Chemical vessels of the 60's and 70's to get a tot of 4 Bells before tank cleaning/diving, particularly on overnight tank cleans. Aaah, 4 Bells Rum, whatever happened to it. I changed the prospective Father in Laws opinion of me by regularly bringing it home from the bond. I went from being a dodgy sailor to a dodgy sailor with a kind heart(Jester)

·
Registered
48 Posts
First trip (Br Laurel) we visited Rostock, then East Germany, 3 times during the winter. Hell of a long standby in sub-zero conditions. At the end of it the C/O - Sidney Plumbe - came around to the cadet's cabins with a bottle and a glass. 4-fingers, and we had to down it in one. It took me a long time to get a liking for rum after that.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Use daily to get tots on the Palm Line going down the West African coast also on the Rose Of Lancaster down the coast it would take the enamel of your teeth,along with the paladin tablets for malaria and that African gin or tombo would send you blind or bonkers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
British Curlew, off Grain in rather rough weather. Forward winch broken. I was picked (4th E) to take the parts and repair the piston with an ER assistant. Took 3 hours as now and then big waves would threaten to wash us away. Job finnished, 2 tots of 4 bells from the chief..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi David your memory is not playing tricks - served my time with BP 1956/60 and after tank cleaning where we had to dig out the buckets of rust from the 'hat-boxes' down the tanks - we would stagger up the ladders with our throats fuzzy with gas from the motor spirit/other fumes to be met by the c/o and half a tumbler full of 4 bells which quickly cleared the throat and fuzzed the brain! Cos not used to liquor only being allowed 2 cans of beer every 10 days back then.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Harveys Crew Rum

When I joined Elders and Fyffes in the 60’s.....crew were given a tot of Harvey’s Crew Rum in the morning after they took their daily paludrine tablet....some used to arrive with a small bottle of coke to water it down. Mate used to dish out rum to crew when hatches and gratings were cleaned ready to load. Some Sundays we had a lovely Rum Punch before lunch. I seem to remember in Tiko (British Cameroons) the Chiefs of the Shore gang who came onboard in Victoria, Shaki, Lomi Samuel used to come up to the Mates cabin each evening for their tot of rum and go through the ritual toasting the Queen and Prince, The Chief and Mr Fyffes. We also took a very fast cabin cruiser up there prior to Independence, so that Fyffes personnel could get out if anything happened

1 - 7 of 7 Posts