Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Sailed from late 1961 to mid '63 on Ellerman's deck apprentice training ship the "City of Lucknow". She was a Blue Ensign vessel, courtesy of the two old menthat I sailed under - Capt. Bernard Theodore Wortley and Capt. O'Neill.

Had a great time but was disappointed recently to note that the web site for several Red Duster training ships did not include her. Contacted the webmaster there who said a) that he didn't know Ellerman Lines had a training ships and b) if any of the ex-apprentices would be prepared to submit photos, anecdotes, etc., he would be prepared to add the "Lucknow" to his site. Are there still any of you out there? I wasn't an apprentice or an Ellerman employee so I don't qualify, but as you were all younger than me, some of you must have survived. Come on there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
City of Lucknow Cadet Ship

I was on the Ellerman Lines City of Lucknow Cadet Ship in the early 60's - Would like to hear from any other cadets undergoing training at that time. My name is Gareth George.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
City of Lucknow.

Hi, Pic of City of Lucknow,
Built 1945. Wm Denny Bros, Dumbarton.
Sold 1967.
All the best.
Barney.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I joined the City of Lucknow in October '62 and sailed on her until she was sold in late '63, along with about seven other 'first trippers' which included Norrie Leslie, John Bell, John Cole, Denis Dick and others whose names have slipped my mind - must be a senior moment!

Sebe (Colin Balderson)

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
City of Lucknow Apprentices

Now there are two of you (yourelf and Sebe) on the site, perhaps you can get together and come up with something to add to the "Rakaia" site so that the CofL and her apprentices are not overlooked and forgotten.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
City of Lucknow

Thank you for the info Derek. Nice photo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello

I was on the City of Lucknow in the early 60's.
I'm terrible at remembering names but I do have some old photos of Shipmates that I will dig out and post. Some names I do remember are John Cole , Norrie Leslie and the infamous Bosun Brightly!
Chris Lofty

·
Registered
4 Posts
I served on the Lucknow from around 1962, I have just posted a photo of her. I do have photos of fellow shipmates, if anyone wants to contact me I can forward them on?
Chris Lofty

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Another well known character on this vessel was Glenn Waage, who unfortunately has 'crossed the bar', but is well remembered.

Sebe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Gareth

I was on the Lucknow in the 60`s, your name rings a bell; Alzheimers hasn't set in quite yet!
I still have some old photos I took back then, you may even be on them.
Please contact me.
Chris Lofty

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
'Senior Moments' are catching up, but here are some of the the names from October 1962 on the trip to US / Aussie / Continent & UK:
Ginger Brough, Tony(?) Shortland, Titus Turner, Nigel Payne, Mike Sewell, Roger West, Garth Halanen, Roger Turnbull, Gavin Dickson, Mike(?) Campbell, Peter(?)Williams, Geoff(?) Pilkington, Chris Lofty, Colin Balderson, John Bell, Dennis Dick, John Cole, Norrie Leslie, Graham(?) Rathbone, Gareth George & Geoff Bromley.
Apologies to the four guys whose names I forget.

Sebe (ColinB) (Thumb)

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
'Senior Moments' are catching up, but here are some of the the names from October 1962 on the trip to US / Aussie / Continent & UK:
Sebe,

I was the R/O on that trip. Do you remember the names of any of the officers? Having been on the ship since 1961, I left her Liverpool, April 1963 at the end of that round-the-world voyage. Can't for the life of me remember anyone except Capt Wortley and Terry Lyons the Extra Chief Officer. Can you add any more?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Hi Ron,

I think the Second Mate was Bloore, the Junior Second Mate was Keith Beverley, who went on to Mobil and was with Noble Denton in US recently. I believe the first trip Third Mate was Brown, but may be mistaken.
Not sure about the Mate, but I recollect a story that he suffered 'mal de mer' on sailing from the first port on every trip, even it the locks, but was fine thereafter.

Sebe

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for that Sebe. Can remember Keith Beverley and the Scotsman Browne but no memory of others. We had a Yorkshire junior second mate called Fletcher on one trip, and a Scots Chief Officer Hutcheon. Which trip that was, I can't remember. The chippy and the QMs were good guys there but names are lost to me.

At some point I must steel myself to spend some money and get the crew lists from the archives of the University of Newfoundland.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Ron - Now that you mention it, the Mate was Hutcheon.
Chippie was John McLoed from the Shetlands. Glenn Waage was the Deck Bosun, Paddy Langhan was Quartermaster and Jim Brightly, ex HMS Exeter @ Battle of River Plate, was Instructional Bosun. Glenn has now crossed the bar, and I later sailed with Jim Brightly, Quartermaster, on the City of Auckland on my first trip as Third Mate.

Sebe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - I think I remember you, it's a long time ago! I certainly remember Captain Worterly RNR! Do yo remember PO Brightley?

Gareth

1 - 20 of 86 Posts