Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CT Bowring/s ore carrier discharging at Glasgow/s General Terminus Quay in 1972 at the end of her days.She was sold for breaking not long afterwards. :sad:

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
mv trinculo

G'day..My first trip was on the MVTrinculo...Nice to see it in the photo(Glasgow)Stirred up a few memories...cheers....Scossie (Night)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks Fairfield..Super duper Mod..Any photo's of the blunt end of the mvTrinculo..And if i can be so bold..A photo of the 1960s wellpark..(ore Carrier)..cheers matie.......Scossie

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Another two which I hope brings back memories. Ever sail under Captain Lyall? I knew his son hence getting on board in Glasgow. That was her last trip if I remember correctly.
The chap walking on deck in the original shot was I think Bowring/s Marine Super or equivalent.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
MV Trinculo

G'day Fairfield..Hope you are well..Exccellent photo's...Sorry mate..Cant remember the Captains name..Luvly man..His daughter came on board for a trip ...I was Chief Engineer orientated...As I joined as Junior Engineer(avoiding
National Service)..Like everyone else ..I was awestruck by it all...I could not get enough when I got rid of my wobbly boots..(sick)..Then back on terror firma When Conscription finished..More firma and less terror..ha'.ha'....cheers..
(Thumb)........PS....How are you mate....The Captain on the trinculo was P.Pedessen...Jist saw it on my Record book..Silly me.. (*))

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks for that. No WELLPARK pic I/m afraid. I/m sure someone else could oblige.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Father Cliff Meredith sailed as an EDH on the Trinculo twice in 1958, in January from Newport returning to Glasgow and from Glasgow in November returning to Middlesbrough in December, this being his last trip after nine years at sea.
If anyone has any more pictures of the Trinculo I would be glad to see them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another two which I hope brings back memories. Ever sail under Captain Lyall? I knew his son hence getting on board in Glasgow. That was her last trip if I remember correctly.
The chap walking on deck in the original shot was I think Bowring/s Marine Super or equivalent.
Sailed with a Captain Lyall on Newer Trinculo in 1978 and his wife was with him.Very memorable trip with about four weeks alongside loading Sugar for Philly.Most memorable moment was shippers party in Lautoka where guests
included Fijiian PM and some members of cabinet.We had all sorts of splendid
exotic food loaded in Singapore previously with Bowring party in mind.Only problem was Grocer got pissed on day of party and all food was still frozen at time of party. we had bits of chicken leg s left over from lunch. Grocer made a half naked appearance looking for a livener at about midnight behind the bar.
The skippers face at thatmoment is a treasured memory

·
Registered
47 Posts
I see there is a good picture of the Trinculo in the files here, it was on the display as I logged in. First Bowring ship with A/C in the saloons, but fitted on top of the Boiler Room!
Cal

·
Registered
26 Posts
CT Bowring/s ore carrier discharging at Glasgow/s General Terminus Quay in 1972 at the end of her days.She was sold for breaking not long afterwards. :sad:
Sailed on the Trinculo 4/10/63, joined her in middlesborough to Pepel
Seirra Leone, ship broke down in the Bay of Biscay, towed back to Cardiff, paided off 8/11/63 Jim Hansell

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Triculo was one of my 'charges' in BSC days and was one of those 'middle-order' ships, like the Denholm vessels which wasn't a brilliant cargo carrier...seem to remember something like 13800/14300 ish winter marks.......

However,mention of the grub........we did a pay-off in the Tees early 60's and the smoked haddock for afternoon tea was memorable.....both in size and quantity and I remember the Federation man, Derek,specially praising the catering staff!

geoff

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Ok

In 1961/2 Trinculo was regular to Tees and the Master instead of just saying he wanted X £'s for payoff would stipulate wxactly how many of each coin he wanted. The same man could look at a long list of figures and give the answer without assistance.......
Who was he??..it wasn't the late Captain Ogden

geoff

1 - 20 of 24 Posts