Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching my dads merchant navy career he was on the Empress of Scotland when she was still a troopship after ww2 in 1947 I know the armaments she was carrying in the war my question is were the armaments still be on board after hostility's ended or would they have been removed very quickly once the war ended ?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I am researching my dads merchant navy career he was on the Empress of Scotland when she was still a troopship after ww2 in 1947 I know the armaments she was carrying in the war my question is were the armaments still be on board after hostility's ended or would they have been removed very quickly once the war ended ?
I did two trips East on HMT Dunera in 1956. I saw no mounted artillery or defensive fixed weapons of any sort on her. We had about 700 troops, and I suppose their arms were stored somewhere.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
what are you asking? Peace time sailings or in times of conflict? I just hope and trust the grey suits in Whitehall, are looking after the UK's interests.
One has to be discrete how to ask a question? Remember the Uk Official secrets act, and in war it is possible for dog to eat dog, and in modern warfare cyber, nuclear, chemical, satellite and space rockets? Best for one to be thoughtful rather than postulate, or look back! International agreements are for 'gentlemen' not rogues and vagabonds.

·
Premium Member
10,423 Posts
Damnit, Sir! Are you suggesting there are fifth columnists within the Auguste portals of SN?

Loose dentures screw maritime adventures?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Damnit, Sir! Are you suggesting there are fifth columnists within the Auguste portals of SN?

Loose dentures screw maritime adventures?
Please do not forget the sunglasses, walking stick, and alzhmiers, and that hearing aid, and off course that tea lady who drifts in and out around the place?
Sir what is life all about! Gossip??? if so May I join you? Please.

·
Registered
895 Posts
After the war a lot of ships still had their gun platforms and deckhead and deck strengthening in place for these platforms, this started to disappear in the early 50's as tons (not tonnes) of steel were involved. This steel alone robbed the vessel of equivalent tons of paying cargo, also as most gun platforms and associated strengthening was above foc'le head, bridge wings and atop poop housings it affected stability. I was on ships built in 1948 that still had to have gun platform scantlings built into their design, as the Cold War was in its infancy and times were uncertain and we often carried out ABC warfare drills on ocean passages well into the fifties

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks seaman 38,I feel I have a better insight into the issues involved such as payload and stability ,so perhaps the guns were removed but the superstructures for them remained for sometime after .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts