Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Never mind Martin, anybody with an interest in the sea/ships is a most welcome addition to the membership. The only TS I came across was when I was with the P&O, met up once with the Empire Fowey in HK and went on board for a few drinks with fellow engineers, they liked sailing on her as she was a good ship down below.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first trip was in Empire Windrush to Singapore and then home in Empire Trooper. Then in 1953 I went to HK in Asturias, on one of her first trooping voyages, and then home in Empire Orwell. I saw Empire Fowey in Singapore in about 1949/50 and my research has told me that she was always a happy ship, as you report. Living near to The Solent gave me a good few chances to see other troopers passing by.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
HI TWO Ttroopships used to come to HULL for repairs and i worked on them EMPIRE PARKSTON EMPIRE WANSBECK. thay tell me the WANSBECK was one of hitlers love for joy ships when it was taken over as a war prize
SAM2182SW

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
my oldest Brother went out to the Korean war on the Empire pride, he came home on the Empire Orwell. He was lucky,As the windrush was fully loaded!! Believe she caught firwe and sank. stand corrected if I am wrong on that point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
while trawling through old threads I came across the discussion on Troopships. Nobody seems to have mentioned the 'Asturias', registered in Belfast. O.N.148146 and G.T.22,444. I sailed on her as Q.M. in 1955/56. We went to Cyprus, Port Said, Aden, Colombo, Singapore, Hong Hong and finally Kure. Wonderful trips (3) and a wonderful ship. Managed by Royal Mail. Scrapped, I believe, about 1957.
Bobarr

·
Registered
6 Posts
Asturias had a final claim to fame when she was used in the film, "A Night To Remember" to represent White Star's "Titanic". Part of her port side was painted black, I believe by students from Glasgow, and can be recognised in the film as the part where the glazed promenade on B Deck gave way to the open section. There is a video about the making of the film.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Empire Orwell, 1955

QUOTE=cheddarnibbles]Empire Orwell Ex Empire Doon; Pretoria was operated by Alfred Holt from Nov.'58 til Feb.'62 as a pilgrim ship sailing from Indonesia to Jeddah under the name GUNUNG DJATI .She replaced TYNDAREUS
Later she was sold to the Indonesian Government for Hadji use and finally as a troopship.
Broken up in 1987.
She was not looked upon as a favourite assignment amongst midshipmen of that era.!!![/QUOTE]

Hello Cheddarnibbles- My brother served in the Royal Hampshire Regiment during his National Service days. Sent to Malaya, and was on the Empire Orwell on his way home for demob prior to April 1955. The Regt came back in 1956 on various ships, incl. this one, but do you know of any sailing dates for early 1955, please ? Rup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Empire Orwell

Rup, if you can get hold of back copies of Lloyds List, you can follow the Orwells route(s). Troopship arrivals were also often announced in the posh papers. Hopefully somebody who sailed on the Orwell all those years ago may have some info for you. Good Luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Troopships.

Further to the discussion on troopships there was also the Vienna which was a prewar LNER ferry and served during the war at Dunkirk and in the Med and was also at D-day. After the war she served as a MOWT troopship on the Harwich - Hook run along with Empire Wansbeck and Empire Parkeston.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Haven't seen a mention of the "ORBITA" on this thread. Sailed back from Singapore in her in 1950 as a kid. Understood that this was her last voyage before beeing scrapped. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
dom

i belive the windrush sank just of gib,may be wrong on that,also ibelive only 4 people lost there lives,one was an eng,who was engaged to be married,his letters to his girl friend about the state of the ship at that time was not alowd in evidence at the inquest.

·
KIWI
473 Posts
Empire Windrush sinking I believe was due to crew not being able to turn off vent fans as a result the fire was assisted considerably.Lloyds as a result insisted on isolating switches being up on boat deck.Empire Fowey had many innovations such as a funnel extension worked hyraulically.Steaming it came up in port down to give a better outline. KIWI

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
yes indeed sad event. remember now that our school caretakers son was an engineer on the windrush a Mr Turnbul. my oldest brother should have been on her but she had enough soldiers on board so he was transfered to the empire Orwell instead. However, many of his souveneers went down with the Windrush i believe..

·
Registered
28 Posts
empire ships

Hi billy boy i have been doing some research on empire boats ,i have a good record on all empire boats were they ended up ,change of names ,a lot of info.on all boats taken over the last 15 years ,i have a record of some magazines that have photos of the boats,allso some details of u boats that sunk some of the empire boats,if you need any info.please let me know i will see if i can help/yours r.s.gilroy.

·
Registered
563 Posts
troopships

ss benalbanach-built charles connell-scotstoun-1940-sunk by ariel torpedeo's-07-01-43 150 mls NW of algiers ------looking for photo's wee bobby

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
troopships

rob15 said:
Hi billy boy i have been doing some research on empire boats ,i have a good record on all empire boats were they ended up ,change of names ,a lot of info.on all boats taken over the last 15 years ,i have a record of some magazines that have photos of the boats,allso some details of u boats that sunk some of the empire boats,if you need any info.please let me know i will see if i can help/yours r.s.gilroy.
Greatful thanks Rob. was on;ly realy interested in the" Pride and the orwel" my older brother traveled on these two during the Korean war crisis. he went out on the Pride and came back on the orwel, should have been the windrush but she was loaded ,so he was transfered to the orwell. thanks again mate
(Thumb)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just a trio of Bibby troopers Dorsetshire,Lancashire,Cheshire. Possibly the Somersetshire she was a hospital ship but may have been a trooper at sometime .
Alex Page

·
Registered
28 Posts
Empire Ken

HI photos of the Empire Ken can be found in the following magazines Shipping today and Yesterday April 1995--1994mag,no 57 Ships Monthly nov.1990.ships yard no.482 best regards Rob.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts