Ships Nostalgia banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
How wonderful: I dont know whether you caught my other posting but I am doing a European project starting on Friday with 6 other countries looking at capturing memories of the 1950's and this is my "memory". Is this out of your own Collection or did you get it somewhere on the web? This may be a little early for my journey on the Orwell, I would have been on the Windrush - Singapore to Colombo in circa 1953, and not on the Orwell until 1956/7 coming back from Colombo to UK. but I do remember either the Green Howards ??? coming back on the Orwell with a lot of them injured and the brass band playing on the top deck every afternoon; and sailing through the Suez Canal and Bay of Biscay. Cant thank you enough.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
EMPIRE WINDRUSH movements 1952/53/54 you will note the details of the fire and her subsequent loss.
Please do not shorten ships names, WINDRUSH, ORWELL. This creates confusion.

Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Empire Orwell

Empire Orwell Ex Empire Doon; Pretoria was operated by Alfred Holt from Nov.'58 til Feb.'62 as a pilgrim ship sailing from Indonesia to Jeddah under the name GUNUNG DJATI .She replaced TYNDAREUS
Later she was sold to the Indonesian Government for Hadji use and finally as a troopship.
Broken up in 1987.
She was not looked upon as a favourite assignment amongst midshipmen of that era.!!!

Hi There.
I dont know about Midshipmen,but I had a great time
on the old Orwell,not the most comfortable ship,but the
happiest by a long shot,I did seven trips on her from the
20/3/55 until 9/11/56.Started off in the crew mess,then
the Leading Hands Mess,then the Officers Mess and finished
as 1st Messroom Steward.

Dave Williams(R583900)
Llanelli

·
Registered
1 Posts
Devonshire

I travelled on the troopship Devonshire as a passenger in June 1960 from Southampton to Cyprus,I was a small blonde lady of 21 and I really enjoyed myself on board. I did get to know one crew member but don't recall his name now! Probably just as well!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Afternoon All.

Still a teenager when I departed Liverpool on board the EMPIRE PRIDE
en-route to Singapore on the 15 July 1953. It took 25 days via Suez with shore leave at Aden and Colombo.
Sleeping in hammocks over the mess table was quite the thing but after arriving in a warmer climate spent most nights sleeping on deck.
For a young lad it was quite the adventure. Not many of us could have taken a trip like that in those days on 49 bob a week (regular) or
29 bob a week (national service)
I spent the next 3 years at RAF Changi with trips to Penang now and again plus a side trip to Saigon.
Departed Singapore for Liverpool on board the DEVONSHIRE on the 31 July 1956 taking 46 days to reach Blighty, with shore leave at Colombo, Mombasa and Capetown. This time we had bunks so no sleeping on deck as the bunks were a little hard to move. (Jester)

Now for some excellent references on Troopships.

Enter into Google search engine.

Gallery No 40 Troopships
Hit enter
Click on. Troopships-British Armed Forces

Enter into Google search engine.

MCHS 0290.10
Hit enter
Click on. Troopships and Trooping

Book.
Troopships and their History.
By Colonel H.C.B. Rogers O.B.E. 1963.
The book is still available through ABE Books.

Lots of excellent photographs and information in all the above. It will keep you busy for a while.

Peter (Kamloops)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Troop Ships

My Dad was in the RAF and got to Aden on the Empire Pride returning on the Dilwara in 1949 as far as I remember.

·
Registered
4 Posts
MV Georgic

I sailed on the MV Georgic in 1951 From liverpool on my way to Korea with the First Battalion KOSB .We landed at HongKong.We were there for a few Months before sailing to Korea on the Empire Trooper
Hi Golden Dawn, my father was also on that ship to Korea in November 1951. He was with the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards. I know the ports of call included Columbo & Hong Kong and possibly Port Said and/or Aden. I would be interested to learn anything about the voyage.

Kind regards
Chris

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I was an o.s. On the Empire Halladale for the last two trips she did trooping,we went to Mombasa with troops fighting the Mau Mau,she was as hot as hell for us and sheer hell I imagine for the troops it put me off ever considering the army as a career the troops were treated like s!!t It is sad that a ship is sent to the scrap yard but that was the best place for her,and mixing Glaswegians and Scousers as crew no way,fisticuffs were never far away,and the beer was crap .

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Hi Golden Dawn, my father was also on that ship to Korea in November 1951. He was with the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards. I know the ports of call included Columbo & Hong Kong and possibly Port Said and/or Aden. I would be interested to learn anything about the voyage.

Kind regards
Chris
Hello and welcome,
Cannot help you out with what happened on the voyage but can confirm GEORGIC's movements from the National Archives piece number MT40/146 (attached)
I think you should find some details of the voyage by consulting the regimental diary.
Try a post on http://www.ww2talk.com/index.php
There are people on there who may be able to point you in the correct direction.

regards
Roger

Attachments

81 - 92 of 92 Posts