Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone out there supply me with any information regarding the whereabouts or fate of the TS Arethusa which was at one time based at Upnor near Strood.

Any info and especially photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Hi Steve,

ARETHUSA is now an exhibit at the South Street Seaport Museum in New York under her original name of PEKING.

Built in 1911, she became ARETHUSA on the River Medway in 1932 and went to New York in 1975.
Info from - http://www.southstseaport.org/

Saw her there in 2002, also have a photo of her on the Medway somwhere, will look it up and post.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Robert,

Many thanks for the info and for posting the photo's, my mind is now at rest.

Best wishes,

Steve.

·
Registered
18,765 Posts
I sailed with a 3rd Mate who'd been on TS Arethusa. He had some hilarious tales of his time there. He was sent there by a magistrate! I'm sure that wasn't the case with all the lads.

John T.

·
Registered
48 Posts
T S Arethusa

Steve

Saw a piece in some shipping magazine earlier this year that the yanks were about to sell the Peking ex-Arethusa ex-Peking for in excess of £6,000,000 sterling. Considering they only paid the scrap value for her on her demise as a training ship in 1974 thats not a bad return for their money.

By by the way, I joined the Arethusa in 1965 not because I was a naughty boy or anything but because at 13 I wanted to go to sea in the MN and she was the easiest way to do so. Spent 9 fantastic years in the MN travelling the world before package tours and getting paid for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Steve. Just as an aside. When I was a Royal Engineer based at the RE Bridging Site at Upnor in 1961 we had heavy pontoon bridge sections moored just off the hard. Late one winter evening the mooring parted during a gale and the cry went up!. Arethusa had a very lucky escape that night as our tug managed to reach the pontoon as it was within feet of spearing her hull. She had a full crew of Shaftesbury boys fast asleep!. Big inquiry after that!.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Ahoy,

Here some details of her:

Rig: Four-masted barque
Material: Wood decks, rest steel
Length: 377 ft.
Breadth: 47 ft.
Gross Tonnage: 3100
Net Tonnage: 2883
Depth: 26 ft. 3 in.
Main Mast Height: 170 ft.
Sail Area: 44,132 sq. ft.
Max Speed: 16.5 knots (19 mph)
Passenger Capacity: 32

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/arethusa/gallery.htm

·
Registered
1 Posts
Arethusa Old Boys Forum

Gooday.

There is an Arethusa Old Boys Forum at

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=arethusa&nav=messages

It's in Delphi which is a bit painful but I kicked it off some 10 years back. Not overly active but there's a few hundred posts there worth trolling back through. Easiest way I've found is by changing the thread and message number in the url. The search engine is rather useless.

Cheers, Geoff. (#234 63-66)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can anyone out there supply me with any information regarding the whereabouts or fate of the TS Arethusa which was at one time based at Upnor near Strood.

Any info and especially photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve.
As a child, I used to get taken on board 'Arethusa' for Arethusa Days down at Upnor. We'd go off to Lower Upnor and go on board opp. The Ship pub, have a look round and then go and eat sandwiches on Upnor 'beach'. I watched 'Arethusa' being towed away down the Medway in the 1970's after she was bought and taken to NY.

Jo

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I too remember the Arethusa at Upnor.

My old man was CO of a Chatham based ship (HMS Mesina that had been at Christmas Island) and while he was away in the Middle East my mother and I lived in rented accommodation on a farm at Hoo. Thanks to the landlady my mother got involved with the local social life.

The CO of Arethusa was Captain Malcolm La Mere who had a (I think) a Belgian wife and a daughter called Petra who was a friend of mine - I was well under 10 years old at the time!

We all used the Arethusa swiming pool and were often onboard. At Christmas they had what seemed to me a huge tree with live candles as decorations. There was always two/three of the cadets on sentry duty with buckets of water. Maybe this was only for a special occasion, but I do remember it.

Amongst the local people that we knew well was the Chancellor familly who lived on the Thames barge Viper. John Chancellor and my aold may were good friends and I knew the kids. John had been deep sea in the war and worked with Tony Lapthorne but later became an internationally known marine artist but sadly died a good few years ago just when he was becoming internationally recognised.

We returned to Kent for a family holiday in the 1970s and Arethusa was still there but a couple of years later was sold.

I remember at the time there were letters in the press (about as good as it got in these days!) about how the UK had given up the chance of having a "real" sail training ship. I have no idea what state she was in, but she was able to be towed to the USA so can not have been that bad. Still strikes me as a wasted opportunity!

As everyone else says here, Happy Days - but I was only a kid at the time and the summers were always longer and it always snowed for Christmas!

McC

·
Registered
673 Posts
Used to be very civilized to have a couple of beers at lunchtime, sat outside the pub at Upnor opposite Arethusa, back in the days when we had decent summers ....................

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I still think it was a missed opportunity!

The UK could have had a real "Tall SHip". I think though that we should be grateful that she found a decent home as the UK seems oblivious to our maritime heritage (and yes I DO know that the ship was originally German from the "flying P' Lietz line sailors).

Does anyone know what condition she was actually in?

As I have said before, she was able to go to the USA!

McC

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
I went aboard back in 1991 and and She wasn't too good then. There is talk that She may well be on her way back across the Pond as the Yanks can't afford to keep Her any more. The talk is that She may come back to Hamburg Her place of origin. That would be great wouldn't it. I believe She went into a Dry-Dock at Staten Island for a Hull check to see If She can be towed back if not on a heavy lift barge.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Strawbs;

Wherever she end up, as long as she is looked after, is OK by me. Just look at the Falls of Clyde thread to see how easy it is to lose a piece of important maritime history.

These threads (and other related ones) simply reinforce what WE all know already - namely that to preserve a ship in a safe condtion you need a shed load of cash, and that sadly the UK does not seem to be interested unless it from private funds.

If Hamburg can offer that then yes, it is a great idea.

McC

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Unreal I know but I would like to see her back at Her old moorings at Lower Upnor on the Medway. Just a Day-Dream McC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unreal I know but I would like to see her back at Her old moorings at Lower Upnor on the Medway. Just a Day-Dream McC.
Wouldn't that be fabulous (Thumb) And we could all stand there with a long cool drink in our hands and toast the return of a local landmark.....what does all the National Lottery money go on?? This would be a very worthy cause - and it's not just because I'm a Chatham girl lol
Jo

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
As I have posted above - as long as the ship ends up being looked after that is good enough for me.

I have very happy memories of my time at Hoo/Upnor/Chatham and so yes - IF somebody can find the cash, and IF some group will maintain her then by all means let her come back to Upnor - or maybe the Chatham Historic Dockyard?

But to be realistic - nobody in the UK seems to care about the warships in Liverpool, the Trust that looked after the Robin, Cambria, Kathleen and May etc. seems to be dead so what chance does a large "Cape Horn Sailor" have in todays Britain?

If Hamburg can give he ship a home and ensure her future then I support their bid.

McC

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Here is a pic of "Peking" in 1991 At New York's South Street Museum.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 71 Posts