Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi This is my first post!!

I am looking for any information on the Tug Applegarth which sank on the Mersey in 1960. My Grandad died on the tug and my mum was only 12 and doesnt really remember the media coverage although she does remember 1 headline naming him saying 'he died at his post'

any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
APPLEGARTH (1951 - 1971)

O.N. 183807. 231g. 103'1" x 24'8" x 11'10"oa.
T.3-cyl. (16", 25" & 42" x 30") engine manufactured by the shipbuilder. 1,120 ihp. 13 tons bollard pull.10 kts.

28.12.1950: Launched by A. Hall & Company Ltd., Aberdeen (Yard No. 739) for Rea Towing Company Ltd., Liverpool.
24.4.1951: Completed. Registered at Liverpool.
19.8.1954: Left Canning Dry Dock, Liverpool after overhaul and was found to be filling with water, subsequently sinking in the Canning Dock.
22.8.1954: Raised and returned for repair.
9.1956: Converted to burn oil fuel.
13.1.1960: Sank with the loss of her entire crew, whilst assisting PERTHSHIRE 10,496g. /36.
28.1.1960: Raised and sent for repairs which lasted 6 months.
1971: Sold to Holyhead Towing Ltd., Anglesey, and renamed AFON CEFNI. Registered at Liverpool.
1973: Sold to Maritime Commercial Enterprises, Greece, and renamed ACHILLES.
1975: Sold to Nicolas E. Vernicos Shipping Company Ltd., Greece and renamed VERNICOS CHRISTINE.
1980: Sold to Kyriakou Brothers & Goutis, Greece for demolition at Perama. 10.1980: Work commenced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i know i am late writing on this post, but i have only just joined.
I am reserching the applegarth myself as i want to build a model replica. My husbands great uncle also died when the perthshire rolled her.
There was a write up this year in the liverpool echo for the 50th anniversery. It maybe usful getting in touch.

·
Registered
349 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tug Applegarth

I worked on the tug boats in 1960 and tied up alongside the Applegarth one Novemember evening. The next morning the Applegarth had gone, leaving the previous night to berth the Aberdeenshire into Birkenhead Docks. Sadly, the ship was steaming too fast and pulled the Applegrath over.

If you would care for a more complete story perhaps you will email me direct:

[email protected]

Best regards,

Bob O'Hanlon

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I worked on the tug boats in 1960 and tied up alongside the Applegarth one Novemember evening. The next morning the Applegarth had gone, leaving the previous night to berth the Aberdeenshire into Birkenhead Docks. Sadly, the ship was steaming too fast and pulled the Applegrath over.

If you would care for a more complete story perhaps you will email me direct:

Best regards,

Bob O'Hanlon

Bob,

As stated earlier in the thread, it was the PERTHSHIRE, that rolled her over.

Bill

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
I remember the incident well, there was a friend of mine, Johnny Dolphin, who was a trimmer on the Applegarth at the time, and was one of those who perished.
The Perthshire, meanwhile went to her berth in Vittoria Dock, and a nightshift of dockers boarded her to commence working cargo.
One of the deckhands was trapped by a loop in the runner while preparing the derricks, and hauled through the winch.
So the Perthshire was responsible for several deaths that night.

There are several photos of the Applegarth in the gallery, including one taken in Bidston drydock after she was raised.
Pat
(Sad)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
As a 15-year-old lad working in a Liverpool office, I well remember being deeply shocked by this sad event. It was horrible to go down and look at the familiar sight of the dark waters of the Mersey and know that it was now concealing the results of this ghastly tragedy.

An aside: a year or two before this tragedy the future pop singer Billy Fury (real name Ron Wycherley) was a crew member in a Mersey tug boat; this one for all I know.

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
As a 15-year-old lad working in a Liverpool office, I well remember being deeply shocked by this sad event. It was horrible to go down and look at the familiar sight of the dark waters of the Mersey and know that it was now concealing the results of this ghastly tragedy.

An aside: a year or two before this tragedy the future pop singer Billy Fury (real name Ron Wycherley) was a crew member in a Mersey tug boat; this one for all I know.
RayL,
Billy Fury worked on Alexandra Towing Co's 'Formby' for about two years, before he got off and went into showbiz.
regards,
Pat

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just joined the forum and my brother Derek Hughes died on the Applegarth. I have a copy of the investigation report from The National Archive if anyone is interested please get in touch.

As stated above the Perthshire was going too fast but was cleared in the investigation of any wrong doing.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Hi Alan,

My deepest sympathy for the sad loss of your brother Derek.

Isn't that the law all over! Evidence comes to light that something was responsible for the disaster but the powers that be inexplicably exonerate them. It's as though they don't want to make those responsible feel their guilt, but the other side of the coin is that such kindness leaves the tragedy-struck families without justice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
May Be You Can Help?

I have just joined the forum and my brother Derek Hughes died on the Applegarth. I have a copy of the investigation report from The National Archive if anyone is interested please get in touch.

As stated above the Perthshire was going too fast but was cleared in the investigation of any wrong doing.
Hi Alan

I believe one of my relatives perished on the Applegarth and his surname could have been Hughes as we think they were originally Welsh. My Mum only remembers knowing him as Uncle Lot.
Wondered whether you can assist further?

Many thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts