Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My brother was John Dolphin who died on the Applegarth. He was 19 years old, the youngest of the crew. His tug was the Rosegarth, but he (and I believe captain Fenby) were moved to the Applegarth to cover illness. He shouldn’t have even been on the tug. I was 14 at the time, the first my parents knew of the tragedy was when a newspaper reporter knocked at the door late that evening requesting if they had a photo of him as he had been in an accident. Disgraceful how they found out. My parents and I never got over the tragedy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi debliv, my first contact also. Your Father (Dad) must be Richard Fenby an old college friend of mine at the time of you losing your Grandfather which I still remember. Please to remember me to your Dad. Richard may remember me from college days, my name is Haydn George.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi This is my first post!!

I am looking for any information on the Tug Applegarth which sank on the Mersey in 1960. My Grandad died on the tug and my mum was only 12 and doesnt really remember the media coverage although she does remember 1 headline naming him saying 'he died at his post'

any info would be appreciated
hi
my great uncle skippered the applegarth at some point before it sank.
i am also researching so if i can be of any help please let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi This is my first post!!

I am looking for any information on the Tug Applegarth which sank on the Mersey in 1960. My Grandad died on the tug and my mum was only 12 and doesnt really remember the media coverage although she does remember 1 headline naming him saying 'he died at his post'

any info would be appreciated
My grandad also died that night. He was John Childs, the stoker. The ‘ man from the echo’ told my mum and nan as they got to her before the towing company. What a way to find out your dad is dead, she was only ten. Happy to share anything I have on the incident but there is some in this site and limited available.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts