Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,608 Posts
Definitely SIR BEVOIS. Built 1953. Sold in 1969 and withdrawn in 1974. QE2 entered service May 1969 so the photo must have been that summer 1969.

QE2 looks rather pristine!

Beautiful photo.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I think there was a HAMTUN similar to SIR BEVOIS. They built replacements of the same names in the 1980's I believe.

The SIR BEVOIS, I believe went to Liverpool renamed AMANDA HOWARD working with John Howard Construction company on the Seaforth Dock project.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
The US flag just indicates the next destination.
[/url]
I was always of the understanding that when a foreign flag visits a port then the flag of the host country is flown as courtesy on the vessel fore mast. That being the case this would be in the USA.

·
Premium Member
11,608 Posts
Re the two message above,

The tug is most definitely one of Red Funnel Steamer's tug SIR BEVOIS. This is definitely Southampton and definitely summer of 1969.

When a British vessel, as in passenger ship, they would not be flying a courtesy if the ship is in a British port... as in this case, Southampton. If you are in British port you are free to show a courtesy flag at the masthead to indicated the intended port... in this case, New York.

Stephen

·
Premium Member
11,608 Posts
Hamtun for me with the less fluted funnel. I think Sir Bevois went north in 1968.

Tommy,

I'm having second thoughts!

I have notes that Sir Bevois did not go north until later 1969, but I have found that she was 'out of service' in late 1968.

Went through photos of HAMTUN and SIR BEVOIS... I cannot find a single identifying feature that can tell them apart. The Thornycroft funnel was identical to the two tugs.

I'll go with your thoughts.

Stephen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts