Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curently involved in a con-commercial 'labour of love' project for the Newhaven Maritime Museum. I'm building up a history of the harbour tug Meeching, with as much information and as many photos as I can collect. This is special and personal for me, as my father Capt. Frank Gilbert, was her skipper for many years. It was his last command before he retired in 1979.

so far, it's going well, with photos from local people as well as some of the contributors here, local press and Fotoflite allowing me to use their images.

If you're reading this and have anything that you can share, please let me know by a reply or a PM.

Now here's a long shot. I can remember reading a post somewhere on one of the forums by a gentleman from Holland, Piet van Damme. He said in the post that he had a copy of her plans. I lost my set in a house move years ago and would like to obtain copies. If anyone can help put me in contact with this gentleman, I'd be really grateful.

Very many thanks
Andy G

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Andy
Would it not be possible to get a copy of the plans from P K Harris and Sons her builders in Appledore as they have been very helpfull with myself in the past

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Gdynia,

I've been in touch with them and they say they no longer have them. They referred me to the Appledore Museum, which I visited, and to the North Devon records office. They referred me back to Appledore Shipbuilders.

There was also an issue with hydroconic hull designs being patented, see other posts regarding this, and plens were meant to go back to the company that held the patents.

Thanks for the thought anyway!

I was going to post in this thread this morning, as my brother (once her 2nd engineer) saw a TV report from the Medway a day or two ago. There, sitting on top of a pile of scrap, was Meeching's lifeboat. It makes us wonder if the old girl hasn't finally gone the same way.

Does anyone know if she's still lying on the Meday?

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks David, I see she was missing the lifeboat back then, so maybe all isn't lost. Hopefully someone else will have some recent news.
Andy

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke to the boss of a salvage company a couple of days ago - he's just put a bid in for the MSC Napoli job - and he'd seen her at Queenborough a couple of weeks ago. She'd sunk at her moorings again, but had been refloated. Depending on the damage, I can't see anyone spending money on her this time.
Anyone have any details on this?

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
My feekings!... its a crying shame. having had two members of my family who have sailed on the meeching. My late father as mate and my brother (marsat2) as AB. i also knew many of the crew who used to sail her. most of which have since crossed the bar.
I do hope someone buys her if only as a "live on"
She did some great towing/salvage jobs in her day.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Meeching.

It may be that the plans have reached either the National Maritime Museum or the National Railway Museum. I got plans for the Humber ferries from Sealink HQ many years ago and was told that the archives would eventually go to York!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was watching "Coast" at the weekend on UKTV History, it was down in the Thames Estuary and I am sure I got a quick glimpse of the stern of Meeching moored up.

Peter.

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Wonder what the future has in store for her? ... She was a damn fine tug in her day, did some interesting jobs too!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for the recent pix, guys. She actually looks a bit better than when I last saw her, maybe there's life in the old girl yet. No lifeboat or liferaft yet, though, so more work to be done. Last time I heard she was still detained for several problems. Anyone have any info on this?

David, do you mean Nore Commodore rather than Nore Commander? If so, that's Newhaven's own Meeching alongside her 'replacement'.

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be weird if Murray bought her and stationed her back at Newhaven!

Andy

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Would love to hear that she had been granted a new lease of life Andy. We shall just have to wait and see what the future has in store for her.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts