Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone. can any of you tell me what became of the turmoil? or her sistership which was known as the esgarth. once based at milford haven i believe?...Great site you lads have here, a mine of information and pics. (Applause)

·
Registered
347 Posts
The TURMOIL was sold on to Tsavliris Salvage and Towage of Piraeus Greece in 1969, being renamed NISOS DELOS. Not sure of her subsequent history, but most probably found her way to the breakers by now. Unable to help on the ESKGARTH - was she a sister ship of the Bustler Class? Tony W.

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
many thanks for the info on turmoil. will continue to search for info on eskgarth.

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DaveM said:
Earlier on this year I had a browse round for a refresher on the Flying Enterprise. It fascinated me as a kid and was a big part of convincing me that a life at sea was for me. I never said I was smart.

I do recall seeing something about the later history of the Turmoil then, so a root through Google's offerings for the Flying Enterprise may hold the answer you are looking for.

Good Luck
Dave
Thanks dave will do

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
My first in MN was with Bullard King's Umgeni , was shanghaid fron Clan Line, but that is another story, Ken Dancy of Turmoil Flying/ Enterprise fame was 2nd mate.

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
japottinger said:
My first in MN was with Bullard King's Umgeni , was shanghaid fron Clan Line, but that is another story, Ken Dancy of Turmoil Flying/ Enterprise fame was 2nd mate.
then you sailed with a great seaman. are you from aberdeen by the way? got a few relatives up there. my late father was a trawlerman out of aberdeen on the old steam trawlers till the war broke out.

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
R58484956 said:
Turmoil,Captain Dan parker and 1st Mate Dancy along with Capitain Kurt Carlson of the Flying Enterprise, 3 truly great sailors.
great sailors indeed. back in the 60' i visited a pub in Falmouth, either the chain locker or the bosuns locker on the pilot quay. they have the history of the flying enterprise dissaster there, including kurt carlsons life jacket in a glass case.

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DaveM said:
It was the Chain Locker. Spent a while there in August 64 when the London Majesty was out in the river undergoing major engine repairs. Oh Happy Days.

Dave (*))
glad you enjoyeds the Chain locker dave, hope you did'nt try to get that awful stuffed parot talking! seen a few try when they came in with a skinful LOL

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just happen toknowone of her OLd chief engineers "Roy Llewellyn" he cant remember which company corys sold her to. think she was a bustler though. assume she went to Holland and thats as far as I can get in the search.

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ha ha, sounds a bit like the albion dave. lost my legs in there a time or two.

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The eskgarth was not a bustler class after all. corrys had her from new. sold to svitzers. have e-mailed them and corrys but no replys.anyone know of another avenue i can take. like to get the news of her and if poss a picture before the old boy swallows ther anchor.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The bars i remember in Falmouth was The Riviera,outside the dock gates,Chain locker,Castle,Greyhound,Masonic,Star,had a good time,and drink in all of them,i suppose it is all changed to the yachting fraternity now,

·
Registered
773 Posts
Two of the "Garth" tugs were bought by Togo Oil and Marine working out of Lome in Togo West Africa. Not sure what they were before they were bought.
Contact Capt Monty Jones at [email protected]******** he'll be able to tell you.

Ahoy,

Once again, I have edited out an email address posted on an Open Forum. This is not a good idea as, although with the best of intentions, it may result in some unwelcome mail arriving in your Inbox, and that's what you're not waiting for, isn't it?

If any Members wish to reply to Capt Monty Jones, you can do so via a PM[Private Message] via Mr.Lochluichart

·
Banned
21 Posts
Turmoil

William,

The Turmoil was broken up in January 1986 in Perama, Greece under the name of MATSAS, a name she was given in 1971.

Re the ESKGARTH is that the 1976 built one, or is it a much old tug ?.

Chris.

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got a feeling it was the 1976 one.
he was chief on her till he retired. sailed with Corys for many years starting with steam tripple expansion engines.
Any members from the Milford haven area may know of him he was "Roy Llewellyn"

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nice drawing of her, many thanks for that Chris. trying the other site you gave me now. you are a gentleman sir.

·
Registered
62 Posts
(Pint) Billy Boy,

Eskgarth, her history as follows:

1976 ESKGARTH, 1998 MOINHOS, 1999 MOIN, 1999 ORIENTAL TUG No 1, 2003 SUMERIAN 1

(sisterships: ESKGARTH, EDENGARTH)
381 GRT, L37,93m(34,17), B10,85m, D4,363m(4,88) - fifi, poll.contr.
1 cpp +dir.nozzle, diesel 4tew V16cyl Ruston-Paxman type 16RKCM, 3520bhp-2626kW, sp 13kn, bp 50t

ESKGARTH
1976 -29/07: Launched by "Richards (Shipbuilders) Ltd" at Gr. Yarmouth (GBR) (YN 529) (keel laid 13/11/1975)
1976 -22/11: delivered to "Rea Towing Co Ltd" at Birkenhead, stationed at Milford Haven (GBR)
(GBR flag, regd Milford, ON 376350, c/s GWAC)
1983 -xx/09: in milford dock for repairs, after breaking adrift "unmanned" in a gale and slamming into B.P. jetty
1984 -18/12: transferred to "Lambert Brothers Shipping" at London (GBR)
1984 -18/12: To "Irish Tugs Ltd" at Cork (IRL), mng "Cory Ship Towage Ltd" at London (GBR)
1985: mngrs restyled to "Cory Towage Ltd"
1990 -14/05: registered (IRL flag, regd Westport, ON 402266, c/s EIDV, 367 GT, 110 NT)
1993: equipped with fifi
1998 -xx/01: To "REBONAVE - Reboques e Assistencia Naval Ltda" at Lison (PRT), renamed MOINHOS
1999 -xx/09: To "Wijsmuller Brothers" at Ijmuiden (NLD), renamed MOIN
(VCT flag)
1999: To "Oriental Tug No Corp", mng "Global Star Ship Management (Hong Kong) Ltd" (HKG), renamed ORIENTAL TUG No 1
(LBR flag)
2003 -17/11: To "Network Logistics Ltd" at Hong Kong (HKG), renamed SUMERIAN 1
(KHM flag)
2004: (IDN flag), disclassed by L.R.

Cheers,

George. (Pint)

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
George! That is fantastic. I cant thank you enough my friend. this information is on its way to one of her former Chief engineers, hope it gets to him in time before he crosses the bar.
Many thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lloyds Register of 1967 gives ..Nisos Kerkyra ..of Greece .Tsavliris Salvage ex Turmoil 1965 built
1945 by Henry Robbs of Leith ...Hope this helps ...Collin

1 - 20 of 38 Posts