Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Turnbull Scott

As I remember (1960's) Turnbull Scott had a mixed fleet of dry cargo ships, Baxtergate, Southgate, and Sungate, and tankers Eastgate and Stonegate.
While working in offshore oil industry, a colleague had been 2nd Eng. on Eastgate a steam turbine tanker built to the same design as Shell's "H"-Class by J.L Thompson, Sunderland in 1957.
He certainly could tell some tales of their exploits. Eastgate sank at Hong Kong in March 1973 after being seriously damaged by fire resulting from a collision with a vessel called Circea.
By coincidence the Lloyds Surveyor responsible for oil platform certification was Chief Engineer of Eastgate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Eastgate

I did two trips on the Eastgate as 4th engineer and left her in Singapore just before she sailed on her last trip to Hongkong. If I remember correctly she collided with another ship whilst entering Hongkong harbour and caught fire but did not sink. When the fire was out the engineers were able to return to her, start up the boilers and discharge the cargo from the undamaged tanks. Turnbull Scott then sold her.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
SCOTHEDE said:
I did two trips on the Eastgate as 4th engineer and left her in Singapore just before she sailed on her last trip to Hongkong. If I remember correctly she collided with another ship whilst entering Hongkong harbour and caught fire but did not sink. When the fire was out the engineers were able to return to her, start up the boilers and discharge the cargo from the undamaged tanks. Turnbull Scott then sold her.
Was the Chief Engineer Marnoch Thompson?
There was also a 2nd Engineer Ray Dickenson although he might not have been onboard at the time of the accident.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
SCOTHEDE said:
Chief engineer when I left was Ian Murcott.
Marnoch Thompson was engineering superintendent.
Marnoch Thompson was Lloyds Surveyor for North Sea Oil Installations based in Aberdeen.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sam,Re.turnbull scott.There is a good history of this company in"Travels of the Tramps" Vol.3 by Norman Middlemiss with 7 photos.IBSN 1 871128 080.May be out of print now though was published 1992. Pierhead jumper.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Turnbull fleet 1953. Baxtergate 7072 tons 1944, Flowergate 4800 tons 1953?, Southgate 7209 tons 1943, Stonegate 6949 tons 1941, Waynegate 7416 tons 1944.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Eastgate Collision 30th March 1973. (Hope this answers previous queries.)

0630 Eastgate anchored Hong Kong awaiting pilot.Local fog bank descended.
Departing cargo vessel Cirea direct hit Eastgate on starboardside No2 wing and centre tank.Undamaged Cirea withdrew.Eastgate spilling cargo ignited - sea ablaze.

Eastgate people all escaped to sea in vessels lifeboats and by jumping.
Rescued by a Chinese junk and police patrol boats and taken to nearest hospital.Very sadly three lives were lost.Vessel made safe by fire department and dockyard works at anchorage permitted towing to discharge berth.
Machinery restarted by a few ships engineers out of hospital. Cargo discharged and tankcleaning completed by the Captain and two mates also discharged from hospital.
In drydock vessel found twisted and declared a constructive total loss.

Eastgate and her compliment were totally faultless. All were outstanding and acts of extreme courage occured. Everyone a hero in the finest traditions of the British Merchant Service.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
A Turnbull Scott superintendent flew out to Tunis where the Redgate (?) was undergoing storm damage repairs. Would this have been you by any chance ?. I was on the Salvesen managed Virgilia. Along with the master of Redgate ? I was treated to dinner in the Tunis Hotel by the this super, as I had been in a position to render some minor agency help. The exact year unknown, probably early seventies.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Sam,Re.turnbull scott.There is a good history of this company in"Travels of the Tramps" Vol.3 by Norman Middlemiss with 7 photos.IBSN 1 871128 080.May be out of print now though was published 1992. Pierhead jumper.
The WSS did a better history by H S Appleyard, covers ships and histories up to 1978 with a lot of photo's

·
Registered
75 Posts
A Turnbull Scott superintendent flew out to Tunis where the Redgate (?) was undergoing storm damage repairs. Would this have been you by any chance ?. I was on the Salvesen managed Virgilia. Along with the master of Redgate ? I was treated to dinner in the Tunis Hotel by the this super, as I had been in a position to render some minor agency help. The exact year unknown, probably early seventies.
No this was not me I don't think I ever attended the Redgate - it is likely to have been Walter Swan or Don Gavin or if of a later date Eddie Green.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Eastgate Collision Hong Kong 1973

My original post was from memory given in good faith but during a re-trawl of the internet I have sourced more reliable information and give the following corrections.

1.Time and place - On the 30th March 1973 the Eastgate was approaching the eastern entrance to Hong Kong harbour in the recommended tanker lane at Dead Slow Ahead doing 4 knots and at 02.39 hrs was in collision with Circea at a position - 22degrees13'17'North 114degrees18'03''East bearing from Tathong light 143degree at 1.38 miles.Conditions were - Murky fog patches, with visibility less than two miles. The Circea was estimated as proceeding from port at 12 knots.

2.Eastgate managed to launch two lifeboats remaining personell jumped into the sea and everyone cleared the vessel alive. Sadly three men died in the water they were John Bernard Mac Dermott: John Walter Richard; and Aleksander Vizens.

3.The Circea had only scoring on port and starboard forward plating with one small fracture 750mm long. It is reported that Cirea returned to the scene but no report of having rescued anyone.

4.The authorities declared that -
We consider that Captain Price ( Eastgate's Master) did all that was required of him in the cir***stances of the case to avoid the collision which we consider was caused by the excessive speed of the Circea and the way in which she was handled in known conditions of reduced visibility.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Turnbull Scott

I joined Turnbull Scott in 1977 and worked in their Farnborough office. The ships then included mini bulkers,small chemical tankers and a product tanker STONEGATE on charter to Shell That year they took delivery of the 29000 mt geared bulk carrier named TRONGATE.

It all seems like a lifetime ago as indeed it is

1 - 20 of 211 Posts