Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in August the BBC are reintroducing the £157.50 TV licence fee for
the over 75's.
I am 88 and am considering refusing tom pay.
Anyone any idea what the BBC can do to me

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
George

The BBC will not pursue you - but TV Licensing might. At first instance they will send you a reminder that your TV licence has expired and invite you to renew.

If you don't renew they will bombard you with mail threatening you with civil prosecution and possible fines. Ignore these and then you will receive written notice that their "enforcement team" will visit you to check on whether you have a TV.

When I was selling a property that I had let a few years ago I had all of these threats from TV Licencing. I never responded to any communication from them. Even though there was no TV at the property nobody from TV arrived in 9 months.

They gave up!

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I was amused by the short-lasting period in which they pretended to seek people's opinions, and then acted positively in exactly the way they probably always intended.

On the other hand you have to have sympathy for them, for it's a fact that time will bring more and more over-75s, and fewer and fewer of those under.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
Its time the BBC was self funded,
There was a time when I did watch TV a lot and it was in main the BBC channels, now I don't watch so many of the main stream channels and when I see how much some of those BBC presenters are earning it makes me cringe..

I never thought that I would say this but I agree with Kingham, in that self funding is the way forward........(Thumb)

Cheers Frank

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Its time the BBC was self funded,
As soon as the BBC starts scratching around for sponsors they will lose their independence.

Channel 9 in Australia used to produce a weekly current affairs do***entary called "60 Minutes". It was sponsored by BHP. After many years, sponsorship switched to Toyota and the very first week under the new regime, there was an expose of BHP's dirty deeds in Papua New Guinea. Funny that.

John T

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Put the blame where it belongs; with this government. The last Labour government funded over 75's their free licence and this government under their 'Public BAD- Private GOOD' ideology have taken away that funding as part of their strategy to force the BBC into private hands..

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Jeez Expats give us a break from your all too familiar anti government rhetoric.

J

·
Registered
662 Posts
TV LICENCE over 75s

Not only do the Berlin Brussels Corporation pay obscene salaries and 'redundancy' payments/golden handshakes but they are the paid voice of the EU. Similar to 'Germany Calling' when I was a boy.
They are now actively criticising everything our government does and says and are in line for an almighty shafting when our government get around to it.
Can't wait for that!

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
"Jeez Expats give us a break from your all too familiar anti government rhetoric"

There isn't much pro-government rhetoric around for some reason.

I can't imagine why.

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
I heard that the Virus Testers are inserting tracking devices up peoples' noses ... I'm sure that was on the BBC. Be alert!

John T

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
"Similar to 'Germany Calling' when I was a boy"

A true Brexit soundbite.

52% tumbled for it.

:)
:)

We're sure gonna get what we deserve come January.

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
Some members can't seem to help it turning a thread into a bias political thread. How many more times do we need to remind members that the Pig & Whistle is for: General Chit-Chat. Lightweight Off-topic Discussion, nothing political or heavy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
All these foreign language services on the BBC who pays for them? or do the countries receiving them or is it the poor BBC who foots the bill? Gary Liniker really earns his £1.75 million a year salary maybe reducing his and many more excessive salaries may go to helping over 75's pay the licence fee.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I always find it re-assuring when I read that the BBC is
a)rabidly communist.
b)shockingly right wing.

It shows the balance is about right.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Far too many massive salaries for mediocre presenters. Far too many tv and radio channels with low audiences. Sending outside broadcast units to give a ten minute update from outside the Houses of Parliament at 10pm when it is in darkness. Sending Breakfast tv weather presenters all over the country to give us the forecast that could have been done from the studio. Sending London based reporters out to Scotland, Wales or N.I. to cover stories which could be done by local BBC reporters. The list goes on......

When I first landed a job looking after £ multi million marine contracts I was given the advice “treat it as if the money was your own”. Needless to say I never went over budget. Indeed, I was able to save the company loads of money.

·
Registered
69 Posts
One of the more frustrating issues with the BBC, and I am sadly becoming more & more disillusioned with them, is when there is a "big" story somewhere they have to send one of the big guns eg Jeremy Bowen etc, why can't the local correspondent deal with it??
If they (the local correspondent) can't deal with it, why were they employed in the first place?? Kev

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I wouldn't pay top dollar for second hand goods so why should I pay for second hand programs I.e.the hours of repeats l know the b.b.c.present us with some wonderful programs that have to be paid for but then the b.b.c.sell them to other countries for a lot of money ad if they don't get top dollar for them get shut of the people in charge of the business.I also am fed up with the so called pundits I.e.football ones etc many of them already wealthy enough.I must admit tho I enjoyed the world wide broadcasts when at sea but now most of the news is all U.K..I now get most of the worlds news from Al Jezeera I may have misspelt the company but those who watch will know who I mean.I would hate to see the death of the B.B.C.but to keep taking from us older folk our hard earned savings and pensions from our wages that have already been taxed this licence money is just another tax grabbing. Action from this shower of sh-the,taint over I now await the flack .Stay Safe Tom Roberts.

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
I'm all for the Licence myself. I'm still paying it at the moment as I'm just a Nipper. What the licence gives me is some of the best TV in the world for a one off price with no adverts. (Adverts can run in periods of 3 x 6 minute per hour) I get TV, Radio, Local Radio, iPlayer, and 24 hour news, great history & Natural history. etc etc. The licence is money well spent, and a small price to pay for quality without being pestered with adverts and sponsored shows. Just look at other stations and compare...

1 - 20 of 91 Posts