Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to our poor hearing we like to have the subtitles on the TV.
Last evening there were none available anywhere.
Today they are all back.
Anyone any idea what wa the reason

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I like to use subtitles George but they are almost useless in live programmes being so behind and often not completed.
They don't seem to be available with catch-up TV either.
I did have some yesterday and didn't notice any lack on what I watched - maybe particular areas?

JJ.

·
King Ratt
1,955 Posts
My wife and I use the subs nearly all the time. Neither of us are corn beef. Today’s actors/actresses seem to mumble more in these modern productions. Try an old Taggart series, no probs there with hearing what was spoken. Subtitles of course merely for translating to English!

·
Premium Member
11,597 Posts
I have a mild condition... 'aphasia'. Nothing to do with passion! Anyhow, with subtitles, 'listening' is just fine. Best of all, once you get used to subtitles it is so easy... and great with foreign films!

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have a mild condition... 'aphasia'. Nothing to do with passion! Anyhow, with subtitles, 'listening' is just fine. Best of all, once you get used to subtitles it is so easy... and great with foreign films!
'ALL4' category 'World Drama' some excellent foreign series all subtitled of course. Anyone with a black (can I say that?) sense of humour may enjoy 'Hellfjord' a Norwegian comedy, yep that's right, Norwegian comedy

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
' Today’s actors/actresses seem to mumble more in these modern productions. Try an old Taggart series, no probs there with hearing what was spoken. '

Very true.

I have just about had to give up the news read by a couple of females here in Melbourne. They gabble and also speak too quickly.

Another problem that I find are those segments where there is music or some other noise as an intentional background.

Come back Ed Murrow.

·
Premium Member
11,597 Posts
'ALL4' category 'World Drama' some excellent foreign series all subtitled of course. Anyone with a black (can I say that?) sense of humour may enjoy 'Hellfjord' a Norwegian comedy, yep that's right, Norwegian comedy

Thanks. I'll look for this.

I got hooked on subtitles when I started watching the Spanish series 'Gran Hotel (2011 -2013). The star is Alicia Alarcon, actress Amaia Salamara. She puts 'Downton' in the shade!!!!! :) Available on Netflix.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
My wife and I have sufficiently poor hearing to make us wish to have subtitles switched on a lot of the time rather than raise the volume to a level that a passing neighbour would notice. However, we constantly notice 'howlers', which makes us realise that anyone who totally relies on them will very frequently be misled, some of the errors being so outrageously wrong as to totally reverse the meaning of the original speech. Quoted numbers or dates are very often wrong. Even recorded programmes that incorporate edited (supposedly corrected) subtitles are found to be far from error-free, so all-in-all it's a very imperfect technology that has perhaps been unleashed on us too soon.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Was interested to read earlier posts on the subject.
Am slowly but surely losing ability to make out a lot of what those on tv are saying, so decided to give sub titles a go.
I rapidly found out that I too was busy reading the bottom of the screen and missing the action on the screen itself.
As has been said previously the playing of music while someone is speaking does not help plus lots of actors appear to mumble, or is that just me.
Davie

·
Registered
250 Posts
Even though I live by myself, I just use plug in earphones, much easier

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
' ...plus lots of actors appear to mumble, or is that just me. '

No it's not just you.

I often wonder whether anyone from the TV/radio stations actually listens to the quality of the presentation. Even some TV news readers here in Oz are largely incomprehensible. (I nearly said female news readers but one is not allowed to say that these days).
(Cloud)

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
I think they mumble to go with the almost impenetrable dark of the cinematography. It is art for the sake of the director and not for the sake of the audience. Bring back Alfred H!

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Oh, do I agree with you there, David. In every TV drama it seems an unbreakable rule that one should enter an unknown building in total darkness. I find myself shouting at the TV, "Switch the bloody light on!"

They never do and they walk around in the total blackout with only a small torch - which they shine on the walls or the ceiling! Look at the floor for God's sake, that is where the trips and falls take place.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I think they mumble to go with the almost impenetrable dark of the cinematography. It is art for the sake of the director and not for the sake of the audience. Bring back Alfred H!
David, in the TVs set-up selection I have noticed that if you select 'Movie' as your choice you immediately get a darker screen!!!
I always select the brightest of the choices and even then have to increase more with the 'brightness' button for some films.
Back to subtitles, I use them most of the time but only for non-live programmes as I said before. You still get howlers as mentioned but not as bad.
Anyone not liking subs as they detract from the action, I'd say persevere - it got better for me.
When a bit deaf there is nothing worse than a quiet mumbler and there's lots about.
Hearing aides improve thing a lot but there is no substitute for the real thing!

JJ.

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
John, The best solution for hearing face to face used to be just dangling a piece of string from ones ear to breast pocket. One's companions would assume you were wearing a hearing aid and therefore, obviously if not logically, shout.

Obviously this won't work with TVs (or those now used to the wonderful world of cochlear implants and the like).

Please advise make and model of your TV so that I may avoid it should my town gas powered screen finally fail. I may also seek out the factory in order to set it on fire.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Oh, do I agree with you there, David. In every TV drama it seems an unbreakable rule that one should enter an unknown building in total darkness. I find myself shouting at the TV, "Switch the bloody light on!"

They never do and they walk around in the total blackout with only a small torch - which they shine on the walls or the ceiling! Look at the floor for God's sake, that is where the trips and falls take place.
Sound like my wife Ron, same words.

I was told by a police friend they don't switch the lights on (i) in case there is a gas leak, (ii) in case there is a booby trap wire in place, that's why the look at the ceilings (light fittings) and walls first.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Sound like my wife Ron, same words.

I was told by a police friend they don't switch the lights on (i) in case there is a gas leak, (ii) in case there is a booby trap wire in place, that's why the look at the ceilings (light fittings) and walls first.
Maybe I am being naive but I suspect that there are more instances of people being injured, within disused factories, warehouses and other dilapidated buildings, as a consequence of trips and falls than by explosions caused by IEDs. Your police friend isn't PC Walter Mitty by any chance?

He would be fairly safe in my house, whichever of us is right - it is a bungalow so there is no distance to fall and piped gas has not reached the village yet. (Jester)

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
John, The best solution for hearing face to face used to be just dangling a piece of string from ones ear to breast pocket. One's companions would assume you were wearing a hearing aid and therefore, obviously if not logically, shout.

Obviously this won't work with TVs (or those now used to the wonderful world of cochlear implants and the like).

Please advise make and model of your TV so that I may avoid it should my town gas powered screen finally fail. I may also seek out the factory in order to set it on fire.
David, I've had/got Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic - which is also the best of those for pic. and sound. All infinitely adjustable to the far end of a fart and beyond. Also with "clear-voice" for best chance at mumble control.
In our house Mrs JJ insists on the latest creations so steam TV long gone.

JJ.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
We enjoy the subtitles on French films at the cinema . Being so isolated from Europe Kiwis get little exposure to or chance to hear French spoken but it is amazing how much you pick up over the course of the movie . Near the end I find myself able to ignore the prompts and basically understand the voices .

Bob

·
Registered
895 Posts
Maybe I am being naive but I suspect that there are more instances of people being injured, within disused factories, warehouses and other dilapidated buildings, as a consequence of trips and falls than by explosions caused by IEDs. Your police friend isn't PC Walter Mitty by any chance?

He would be fairly safe in my house, whichever of us is right - it is a bungalow so there is no distance to fall and piped gas has not reached the village yet. (Jester)
Ah! well! I tried (Smoke)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts