Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of you tell me something about the U boat and plane that are on permanent display in Malmo. I had a walk through the U Boat, glade I was born when the war ended, I would rather be on the water not under it. The photo was taken in the mid 70's. The other one is of an unknown older type ship in Oslo. Once again I took the photo in the mid 70's.

Thanks for your help.

Blair Lagerstedt
New Zealand

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Blair
I was in Malmo last year for a day and managed to get to the UBoat which is U3 but saw no plane. The Museum is called Teknik-Och Sjofartsmuseet - The Museum of Technology and is quite good.Enclosed a photo of sub now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Blair
Im not 100 per cent sure but I think the Vessel in photo is DOULOS (5119105), Malta, 6804/1914, ex Franca C-78, ex Roma-52, ex Medina-49 as Franca C by your photo.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ruud,

That is truly amazing - still going strong after all these years! I had no idea there were any ships like that still afloat from that period.

So much more attractive than today's monstrosities - though no doubt very inferior in terms of technology, handling etc.

Brian

·
Banned
83 Posts
The plane looks suspiciously like a late model Seafire (carrier-borne version of the Spitfire) but the wings are folded differently. The Seafire wings folded vertically up at the root and then again at the tip forming a "Z" shape.
If it is a Seafire or a Spitfire then it's probably been moved to a national indoor Swedish museum because they're like hen's teeth.
I can't find a surviving Seafire listed as ever having been in Sweden. The tail looks un Spitfire like but the rest including the wingform looks right.
Probably foiled again.
(Cloud)

PS - can also not find surviving Spit that has been in Sweden other than the 5 bladed prop job in the Swedish Air Force Museum. Looks like Spit with wings removed under close inspection. Also civilian registered. Probably been scrapped because it became an eyesore. Bigger cloud.

·
Registered
63 Posts
dont thinkits a seafire tail looks slightly wrong and the wing does not look right the swedish airforce bought 50 pr24 spitfires in the late 1940s but they had a five bladed prop and were griffon engined there is one in the swedish airforce museum

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
u3 and plane

Thanks for all the info and to you Gdynia. I used the info you gave and checked the Malmo Museum website. All the info on U3 is there. There were nine U Boats built, all of Swedish design. Five were built at Kockrums yard and 4 were built at the naval ship yard at Karlskrona. They are all coastal submarines and were built during the period 1941 to 1944. U3 was taken to Kockrums in 1965 cut into three sections placed were it is today and has been restored by ex submariners.

As for the plane I sent a copy of the photo to the museum asking for info on it and where it is now. I will let you all know when I get a reply.
To read about U3 got to the website www.malmo.se/museer and in the search box type submarine U3.

I should have looked at the museum web site before, never even thought about it.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Blair
Glad to have assisted if you get a chance to go there the Museum is well worth a visit.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
U3 and Plane

I was up that way in the mid 1970's. I don't think I will ever get that far again. OZ is about as far as I go these days. Got as far north as Spitsbergen Island and to the North of Norway. I was on the old "MV Kong Olva"

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt
New Zealand

·
Banned
83 Posts
Sorry Davie

The two at Duxford are both Swedish but they are SE-CAU and SE-BRD or SE-BRG.
This looks like SE-SAW or SE-GAW or SE-CAW.
It could be a misprint of U for W but two seperate sites have it as CAU.

:mad:

Cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts