1,742 Posts
Interesting, thanks for posting Ian

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just in case camera jockeys out there may be unaware, with effect from
16th February 2009 (last Monday) under Section 76 of the 2008 Anti Terrorism Laws, it is now a criminal offence to take photographs of 'any subject which may be of value to a terrorist' . There is no definitive list, however it can include any road, street or motorway, any public building bridge or utility, or any public official or law enforcement officer whether apparently by accident or design. If you Google 'section 76 2008 photograph'
there is plenty chat about it. I guess it also includes ships/canals/and allied subjects especially warships. But that's a guess.

Regards ChasD

·
Super Moderator (L)
1,742 Posts
Counter Terrorsim Act comes into force in the UK.

The attached article appeared in the Daily Telegraph of Monday 16th Feb.

Pay particular attention to Col 4, Para 2 about the Cleveland photographer.

I think we need to be very concerned, not just about this particular incident, but about just where it might lead

(Mods - I'm not sure if this is posted in the correct place, please feel free top move it as appropriate)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
A distinct can of worms and openers for any abuse of 'lawful' interference. Just how is a photographer supposed to act if there is a RN ship in the distance of an otherwise perfect scene of harbour or bay? With digital material, it is quite feasible to get an infiltrating military jet in the sky of your delightful country scene. I remember in the 1980s it was an offence to take pictures of military establishments, ships, canals, bridges etc in the satellite states. At least that was the official view. Policeman disappears from view and out came the cameras, after all - all they wanted to photograph was the old town ... This could reach Orwellian Blackness of Control. Most of which is quite insane, as Google and other services online give just about all the information anyone could get as to military and other information, maps, numbers, armaments.... Access to Information Acts ... it is all available as it should be. This is not a Police State .... yet?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I seem to remember that this is the Govt. which thought they could "ban" hunting?

let's face it, there are more people with cameras than there are police to arrest them. If we all go out taking photos at the same time what are "they" going to do?

·
Registered
987 Posts
A couple of Sundays ago I was out on my bike down by Point Gellibrand, by the mouth of the Yarra (Melbourne) where there is a single tanker berth. Noticing that there was a vessel in discharging, I went down as far as the security gate to take a look, as I have done many times in the past. I'd no sooner stopped when a "rent a cop" emerged from the gate hut and told me that I was in a secure area - despite the fact that I was still on a public highway. I pointed out that I was not intending to go any further and was simply looking at the ship. He muttered something about regulations and started reaching for his radio. Being as he was rather large, and did not look like he had passed out phi beta capa in civil rights from the security wallahs' college, I biked it out of there fast. And I did not even have a camera and shudder to think what would have happened if I had, probably still be in some cellar somewhere in a foreign land where they send you for rendition getting water boarded. That is the price we all pay for going along with politically generated paranioa.
Incidentally, I have downloaded the piece and will read it with interest, as I do have a camera. Thanks to Ian for posting it for us.
CBoots

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Terrorists photos

G'day,
During my last trip to the UK I was taking some video of HMS Victory and was told to stop as it was a Naval base.
So I went outside to the bus stop and took the video I wanted there with the Navy guys looking on!

Regards

·
Registered
306 Posts
Where does all this fit with the Google (Earth or maps) van taking pictures at street level to go online with their satellite images & maps. It's a while since I heard anything about this; is it still happening? or was it 1st April when I originally heard about it?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Its still going on...Google Earthed the other day down to street level....the van must have gone up our street on a Tuesday, cause the rubbish bin is still out side my house and my truck is still parked up...got a shot of the woman over the road with her shopping bags....no body came knocking on my door to ask permission to take pictures of my house at street level.(Cloud)

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Would Landranger OS maps be of any use to the terrorist, maybe they should not sell them in shops, or any dictionaries, or holiday guides, or provide passports, or allow ships to dock or aeroplanes to land ... maybe investigate all swans on the wing, or swallows heading for Africa ..... On second thoughts, ever heard of vigilance and common sense anyone?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Where does all this fit with the Google (Earth or maps) van taking pictures at street level to go online with their satellite images & maps. It's a while since I heard anything about this; is it still happening? or was it 1st April when I originally heard about it?
I use the 'Googly street thingy' quite regularly, it's excellent for finding your way out of strange airports (always the most difficult part) - having 'driven' the route a few times on the computer, everything is familiar and recognisable when you come to do it in real life. Unfortunately the concept terrifies the security obsessed.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I still consider that we are not living here in a Police State (though I do appreciate your meaning). We do not live in fear of instant removal to a camp of doubtful purpose and outcome, nor are we beaten to a pulp in the street.

There are a number of photographs in the public domain taken by Forces photographers of what may be described as having potential for abuse. It all makes a mockery of any applied restrictions to the public.

·
Super Moderator (L)
1,742 Posts
I still consider that we are not living here in a Police State (though I do appreciate your meaning). We do not live in fear of instant removal to a camp of doubtful purpose and outcome, nor are we beaten to a pulp in the street.

There are a number of photographs in the public domain taken by Forces photographers of what may be described as having potential for abuse. It all makes a mockery of any applied restrictions to the public.
I agree Treeve about not being dragged off the street and being beaten up, but we are the most 'surveilled' society in the world in the UK now.

A interesting statistic :

Croydon, Surrey, UK (population in 2001 - 331 thousand) has more CCTV cameras monitoring and recording people's movements than New York, USA (population in 2001 - 19 million)

You have to ask why.

Some years ago I attended the Bonfire celebrations in Lewes East Sussex, an occasion when perhaps half a dozen local bonfire societies parade around the town commemorating in their own way the Gunpowder Plot. The crowds are huge for such a small town.

Before the parades started, the police came up and down the road filming all the spectators, not just those on the street, but also those in the first floor windows of the buildings along the street. Not just once, but twice. When asked politely about why this was being done, the answer was a shrug of the shoulders and keep on filming.

The only possible reason for this data collection exercise is 'just in case'. There is no need for the info now, but we'll collect it and keep it just in case it might come in useful someday. Just like all the other proposals for collection of date on individual's web browsing, emails, mobile phone calls, driving patterns (ANPR). Also, from last week, all 'private' (ie) in store, pub, shopping precinct, transport station etc, CCTV footage HAS to be made available to the authorities on demand. No argument or excuse.

Add this to the change a few years back to make almost all offences in the UK arrestable, so the national DNA database could be expanded on the sly. (Your DNA is taken, but if you are subsequently released without charge, it is not destroyed, ever.) Soon all children will have their DNA recorded at birth So the restrictions the UK Parliament want to put on the National DNA Database are being cir***vented surreptitiously.

End of Rant, sorry !

·
Super Moderator (L)
1,742 Posts
Don't apologise - a very eloquent rant! All the more so because it's true.
Thanks, but I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I feel better for it !!!

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
136 Posts
The attached article appeared in the Daily Telegraph of Monday 16th Feb.

Pay particular attention to Col 4, Para 2 about the Cleveland photographer.

I think we need to be very concerned, not just about this particular incident, but about just where it might lead

(Mods - I'm not sure if this is posted in the correct place, please feel free top move it as appropriate)
Another 'win' for Islam. We may as well convert now and save them the bother of giving us a hard time until we do.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I absolutely agree with you; if the police can film 'us' why can't we film them? After all if an undercover agent was in there, he should be doing his job and remain as an undercover officer; mind you, they appear on British TV in so called 'fly-on-the-wall' reports and in news items, albeit pixelated or perhaps even 'fuzzed'. Just what would a foreign or internal trouble maker do with such images? Accuse them of bad acting? To the subject of surveillance, to be honest, our police are much maligned and accused of not performing to match idiotic requirements and they also have to meet those targets within a specific and tight budget, with highly limited staff. Much easier to save the coppers on the beat in the thick of it, by installing cameras. Personally they can film me as much as their little hearts desire, and have as much DNA or fingerprints or identity cards as they like - it does not bother me at all, sice a) I have done nothing wrong or likely to do so and b) it makes me feel somewhat safer that there are records being held that will hopefully lead to wrongdoers being charged and banged-up. As to the statistics, maybe you could also offer the number of street attacks and incidents as well as murders etc to really compare figures in context. The US police are even more tied as regards litigation. This is an insane world in some respects, but the more surveillance there is the safer I feel. Just as long as it does not become Big Brother and the Thought Police. The police are often accused of not being fully prepared and some sleezy lawyer gets obvious criminals off the hook by deviously squirming through loopholes of very often ill-prepared cases drawn up by the police. In any crowd situation, I would be much happier that the authorities were actually prepared and 'on my side'. @andysk - Never apologise for a rant, too many appear not to have an opinion, you are one of the fortunate ones - you feel and think.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
....Another 'win' for Islam. ??
I am not at all sure that any of this has the slightest to do with Islam; more like Western Paranoia; as far as I can see there is no great rift between The Qu'ran or The Holy Bible; the rift develops from megalomaniacs and militancy, with a very firm heart of extremism; that is rife in any religion or politics, and the end result is dreadful to behold. If Johnny Public believes all the hogwash, he is swept into the raging torrent down over the waterfall and on to the rocks below, with no chance in between to actually sit and consider the participants or what the True Belief is for each and every faction and believer.
This is not a Holy War - it is a war of the political and the media coupled with those in the commercial world. We are looking in the wrong direction, all of us.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts