Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was 2/O mid eighties for a year. When border hit the Caisson and Mkuze ended up being the Ceylon Hilton. Oh yes, trip across to Brazil on a tiny ship (range?) and the Tugela sold. I could never understand why I was on the Cargo ships and not Tankers. Turned out my year sorting out wether to live out there was a nono, mainly because the kids education would have been disrupted. Now, of course, it looks like the right choice. My wifes family are having hell with the electricity and drought.
The tiny ship that went across on a couple of voyages to South America was the Voorloper (ii) IMO7116937 - a RO-RO-which is one of those illustrated above.. They needed a relief Chief Engineer with a Diesel 'ticket' and he had fairly recently retired from Safmarine and was available. Still have some old slides he took in Buenos Aires where they were docked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi:
Unfortunately I do not have any photos of any of the ships I sailed on, nor of my shipmates-"lost" during my divorce :). I am also hoping that someone on this thread will be able to help.

Captain was an excellent seaman-highly respected by everyone that I came into contact with at the time. Strict but fair.

I was on Mkuze early 1981-we went through a rough time on voyage from Durban to cape Town when several vehicles came adrift around 01h00-just as I was about to fall asleep having done 8-12 watch.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
The tiny ship that went across on a couple of voyages to South America was the Voorloper (ii) IMO7116937 - a RO-RO-which is one of those illustrated above.. They needed a relief Chief Engineer with a Diesel 'ticket' and he had fairly recently retired from Safmarine and was available. Still have some old slides he took in Buenos Aires where they were docked.
VENTO DI LIBECCIO / VOORLOPER (1971 - 1978) Tarros class.
O.N. 342888. 1,591g. 874n. 1,870d. 86.72 x 13.75 x 4.706 metres.
6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (410 x 470mm) Werkspoor 6TM410 type by Stork-Werkspoor B. V., Amsterdam, geared to a controllable pitch propeller. 3,200 BHP, 15½ kts. Thwartship thrust controllable pitch propeller forward.
5.1977: 6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (381 x 457mm) Mirrlees KMR-6 type by Mirrlees Blackstone (Stockport) Ltd, Stockport. 3,200bhp. 15kts.
24.4.1971: Keel laid by Zaanlandsche Scheepsbouw Maatschappij N. V., Zaandam (Yard No.523), as VENTO DI LIBECCIO, for Sea Containers Chartering Ltd., (J. B. Sherwood, manager), London. (Intended as TARROS ELM).
24.7.1971: Launched.
10.1971: Completed as VOORLOPER, for Sea Containers Ltd., (same manager), London.
1974: Transferred to Sea Containers Chartering Ltd., and removed from management.
1977: Re-engined.
1978: Renamed TARROS ELM.
1979: Renamed ZIM MANILA, and transferred to Bermuda registry.
1979: Renamed TARROS ELM.
1979: Sold to Compania Maritima, Philippines, and renamed PANAY.
27.12.1986: Arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition by Al-Murtaza Metals (Pvt) Ltd.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can remember a small Unicorn coaster (about the size and likes of the Indoda in a previous post) came alongside the City boat I was on (City of Wellington or CapeTown maybe) when alongside in Beira (early to mid 70s).

This sticks in my mind since it was unusual for the City boats to do ship to ship cargo work on this coast (in fact the only time for me) and was something of a curiosity. I think the Rhodesian blockade may still have been in place and the Beira patrol was still banging up and down the coast enjoying the sunshine. Not absolutely sure but I think that we were transhipping cargo to the coaster. Thinkng back now I wonder if there were some 'special embargo' cargo involved.
Think it unlikely that it was a Unicorn vessel in those days.
Unicorn hadn't been invented then. They were still African Chaos (Coasters)
Most likely Durban Lines with Congella, Greyville or Madeleine.
Madeleine was actually Stena Lines owned, on charter to Durban Lines. I was on both Greyville and Madeleine during that era.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Were you on Tugela when they sold all the bar goods in preparation for the ship being sold?
No I was not onboard then, although I remember they were moving ships around. I left the Nahoon 87 and it became the African Rainbow I think. The Capt and Chief Eng stayed on but we all got off. They sent it up the East coast. After I left the Tugela they sent me home and I found work back in the UK. Got my 6 months in to validate my ticket thankfully.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Think it unlikely that it was a Unicorn vessel in those days.
Unicorn hadn't been invented then. They were still African Chaos (Coasters)
Most likely Durban Lines with Congella, Greyville or Madeleine.
Madeleine was actually Stena Lines owned, on charter to Durban Lines. I was on both Greyville and Madeleine during that era.
MADELEINE (1956 - 1970) Ice strengthened general cargo vessel.
499g. 289n. 960d. 198' 9" x 33' 0" x 12' 0½".
4-cyl. 2 SCSA (340 x 570mm) oil engine by Nydqvist & Holm Ab, Trollhattan. 760bhp. 11.5 kts.
6.7.1956: Launched by Lidingoverken KS Ab Live, Lidingo (Yard No. 23) for Sten A. Olsson Handels Ab, (Sten A. Olsson, manager) Sweden.
26.10.1956: Completed.
1963: Transferred to Rederi Ab Samba, (Stena Ab, managers) Sweden.
1970: Sold to Stig T. A. Ivarsson, Sweden.
1974: Sold to Ingemar Gudmundsson, Sweden, and renamed ADELE.
1975: Sold to Koukoulis and Company, Greece, and renamed ARIS III.
1981: Sold to Nik and John Kairis and Company, Greece.
1983: Sold to Ourania Malamoutsi and Company, Greece.
1986: Sold to Neosalaminiaki Marine Company, Greece, and renamed AGIOS NIKOLAOS.
1988: Transferred to Neosalaminiaki Shipping Company, Greece.
1988: Sold to Demetrios, Stavros and George Valhalis, Greece, and renamed ANNA V.
1989: Sold to Stamatakis Stefanos and Company Ltd., Greece.
5.10.1989: Wrecked on Agion Oros during a voyage from Halkidiki to Piraeus.

·
Registered
146 Posts
He was,nt by any chance on the Safmarine ss. "Morgenster" which in Sept 1961 was in such a hurry to enter the Avonmouth dock that as we were exiting the she gave us a long lingering kiss all along the starboard side despite having a pilot and tug in attendance.?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi:
I was a deck cadet on 3 of the Unicorn tankers (Mobil Durban, Africa Shell and Buffalo), then sailed as cadet on: Horizon, Zwartkops, Mkuze, Berg, Oranjemund. After 1980 sailed as 3rd mate on some of them up to 1981, when I came ashore.

I would love to have pictures of any of the Unicorn ships, and could tell a tale or two about the above. The Islands run on Horizon was fantasttic-remenber the bar was made of beer bottles, ceiling had handprints, footprints and b.prints (made with engineer's blue ) of treasured guests.

1977 Mobil Durban was laid up in Port Elizabeth for a week-everytime we had to get underway, something in the engine room would go awry-was never quite sure if it was because we had such a good time partying :)

Anyone who sailed on any of the above are welcome to contact me for a chat:
[email protected]

Incidentally, whilst we have problems here-it is not as bad as some would have you believe. I have lived in 5 different countries, and still prefer SA to the rest.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Unicorn A true Story - I dug this out of a Shipping Survey article - and was wondering if anyone has heard of this book

·
Registered
21 Posts
I SERVED MY TIME WITH BANK LINE IN THE SIXTYS THEN JOINED AFRICAN COASTERS MY FIRST SHIP WAS THE RAMPART I WAS SECOND ENGINEER THEN THE BORDER UNDER CAPT ISREALSON THE MATE WAS BILL PARFITT MY CHIEF ENG WAS IAN TEMPLETON THEN BUFFALO INDUNA CONGELLA PONGOLA SUZELA BEREA LINES BEREA AND CLAIRWOOD THEN GRIQUALAND CHIEF ENG WAS DERICK CUTHBERTSON. THE SUPERS WERE MR LANIER AND MR ? THE TWO HAD A FIGHT ON THE ORIBI RECORKING TUBES.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts