Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a mighty ship - the fastest ever to cross the atlantic and for years a disgrace and a sham - why despite the many who have tried and failed did no one ever either try to
Sky Boat Naval architecture Vehicle Water

restore or just scrap her ...... image oct 2022

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I read somewhere that almost all of her inboard decks are in a perilous state with some even collapsed. Vegetation in her saloons and machinery spaces.
Clearly she was a magnificent liner but for me always a 2nd choice behind the SS France as a looker.
BW
J:cool::cool:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I read somewhere that almost all of her inboard decks are in a perilous state with some even collapsed. Vegetation in her saloons and machinery spaces.
Clearly she was a magnificent liner but for me always a 2nd choice behind the SS France as a looker.
BW
J:cool::cool:
I remember passing her in Norfolk Virginia I was on the act 6 at the time I talked to the stevedores and was told they only paint the Riverside part of the ship so when you passed this fine ship she looked good what a shame to a fine vessel tony

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Correct, Tony. We used to berth at a right angle to her - Bow to bow. Her port side was painted, stbd not! I tried to get on her but a watchman vanished us with empty bottles! I just went to the port office and called my wife instead. USD27, all in quarters!

Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have never had a "thing" for UNITED STATES although when 11 years old when penning a "What I Want to Be When I Grow Up" school report, I asserted I wanted to be Chief Purser of SS UNITED STATES (!). She was out of service of two years later and I have been frustrated career-wise ever since.

But when I finally got a chance to see her in the flesh, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of her maiden voyage, and from the water, not pierside, I was struck by her presence, lines and perfect proportions. Her hull is... perfection.

She's a sad derelict now and one I wish would be finally put out of her misery but externally she was simply a splendid looking ship. Then. Now. and Forever.

Peter Kohler

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
I was able to visit the ship at anchor at Bermuda in 1969. She was spotless! I thought she was beautiful and quite modern. My only disappointment was the lack of teak decks. I understood what it was all about. Yes she is stunning vessel. There is not a single part of her design I would change.
Stephen

Four paintings of the ship. The last was one done 35 years ago. Ouch!!!!!

Cloud Water Sky Boat Watercraft

Water Cloud Sky Boat Watercraft

Water Cloud Boat Sky Watercraft

Water Watercraft Boat Naval architecture Vehicle

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have always been a france fan - although her interior decor never quite struck a cord with me - the big u - classic etc etc -but what was always off putting for me was the accolades every one bestowed upon her which is all good and well but the issue came when the so called preservation of her arose - and here despite the many years that have passed - NOTHING ..... - i was lucky to have seen the qm back in 1994 and spent 5 days exploring her - despite the fact that she had a lot of closed off areas - she still had that " true ocean liner " feel about her ...long may she be with us ....

·
Registered
93 Posts
I pick painting no. 3, Stephen.... it reminds of the Brenet series for Towline (the Moran Towage magazine) that had these sorts of detailed harbour scenes where big majestic ships look, well more majestic, close up in the confines of a port or pier. And quartering aft perspective (my favourite) is the make or break of a truly handsome ship... from that angle, you either have it or you don't. You prove that The Big U had it. In spades.

And yes, horrible mastic decks, an absolute horrendous seaboat (I had a French teacher in 8th grade who was aboard her famous 1966 crossing, her second fastest ever... she said you could barely stand up let alone walk, she rolled so much) and all that chalky flat fireproof paint.

But who wouldn't jump at the chance to cross in her... well right now.

Peter Kohler

·
Registered
109 Posts
Shame here is a pic of better days layed up in Norfolk Virginia in the 70s, photo taken from the container terminal. View attachment 694812
a mighty ship - the fastest ever to cross the atlantic and for years a disgrace and a sham - why despite the many who have tried and failed did no one ever either try to
View attachment 694809
restore or just scrap her ...... image oct 2022
I remember seeing the SS United States/KJEH moored in the Navy Yard at Norfolk, Virginia, in her role as a reserve Troop Transport in 1974; when I was an R/O in SS Canberra/GBVC, at a distance she looked the “business”, but as we got closer, and berthed more or less along side, it was evident that external degradation had set in at apace.
The last time I saw her was during June 2005 in Philadelphia, I managed to get a quick photo while on the freeway going past the old docks (see attached), but as I got closer the truly sorry states of her became more evident. At the time I thought, she will cost a huge amount money ($60m+ for restoration to be carried out),
I hope she will not end up being pulled apart on a beach in Pakistan or the wreckers in Taiwan (as happened to Canberra).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
She should go to the breakers, tout-suite! Good lines or not, the vessel is a has-been and will never be again.

QM - nearly thirty years ago, I went with my wife and a family friend who had gone to Europe on her, for her 15th birthday, around 1950. The friend remembered her cabin number and led us through the QM to show it to us. Unfortunately, it was in a closed off area. She did however, remember magnificently the layout, pool, restaurant etcetera. Yes, the QM still "has it".

(I was aghast with all the DC machinery - but that is another foible!)

Rgds.
Dave

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
I would not go to see QE2 in Dubai. A real 'shell' and not external fittings eg boats and davits. She does not look a ship any more.

ss ROTTERDAM at Rotterdam. Different matter. The change from ocean liner to hotel/museum could not be better.

UNITED STATES. It could be done. Internally she was stripped and there is very little of wastage on the steel. Most of the paint coating is in good condition. No piping, wiring. cabin bulkheads and deckheads, all gone. Externally there is some rust on the hull. Not that bad,. Some external decks, yes plenty of rust, bit that could be fixed. She is a good 'shell' so the cost would not be as bad as say, a ship like old QUEEN MARY. She could convert to museum with hotel. Rebuild some of the pubic spaces rebuild as before other wise there is no point. $60 million 29 years ago? Probably $250 today. Not that bad for a hotel on the riverside in Manhattan. Cheap!

Stephen

·
Registered
383 Posts
I would not go to see QE2 in Dubai. A real 'shell' and not external fittings eg boats and davits. She does not look a ship any more.

ss ROTTERDAM at Rotterdam. Different matter. The change from ocean liner to hotel/museum could not be better.

UNITED STATES. It could be done. Internally she was stripped and there is very little of wastage on the steel. Most of the paint coating is in good condition. No piping, wiring. cabin bulkheads and deckheads, all gone. Externally there is some rust on the hull. Not that bad,. Some external decks, yes plenty of rust, bit that could be fixed. She is a good 'shell' so the cost would not be as bad as say, a ship like old QUEEN MARY. She could convert to museum with hotel. Rebuild some of the pubic spaces rebuild as before other wise there is no point. $60 million 29 years ago? Probably $250 today. Not that bad for a hotel on the riverside in Manhattan. Cheap!

Stephen
Hi Stephen I worked on the QE2 1977 she was a smart ship I sailed as shipwright looking after the wood decks inside lifeboats and fire shutters my most memorable thing is dropping a greasey rag on Harry second head he was in a deck chair below the lifeboat I was working in happy days

·
Premium Member
6,049 Posts
My guess is that you had a good position on board. I was in Franconia in 1967. The 'Chippy' went about the ship is spotless white boilersuit. Cap and a good torch in pocket. He must have been important. 'Lamps', Pat Conolly was another. Lots of curses when anyone came to his shop to ask him for anything. Bosun Tom King was the real boss. Owned a 14 Boston Whaler. On arrival at Bermuda the derrick was topped and the boat was put over the side. The Ch Off, Lee was his fishing pal.

Made several voyages in QE2... as pax. The ship was quite special. No, I would not to go back to see the ship now. How long did you stay with the ship?

Stephen

·
Registered
733 Posts
She was indeed special and like you would not visit her in dwbaii Stephen, I have special memories of this vessel and don't want them tarnished. Only ship I've been on where I was accused of sloping off and sleeping in the khazi when I was walking around the eng room actually carrying out some watchkeeping and trying to figure out how it all worked.If my memory serves me right the head honcho in the TCR ( turbine control room) was Steve Constance and even though we got on allright I,m convinced he didn't believe me?

·
Registered
93 Posts
SS UNITED STATES.

. A New York arrival. This how I prefer to think of what she was like.

View attachment 694855
Beautiful photo but something looks quite amiss with her approach and that very long, taut towline... never seen a liner come into a North River slip like that. Indeed, could she be berthing without tugs during one of the not atypical tugboat strikes?? The towline possibly on a winch on the pier?? There is enough of a crowd on the pier head to make one think this was "newsworthy" enough even for New Yorkers to pause and watch.

Although often reported as "as a piece of cake," these tugless dockings were often embarassing disasters of crunching fenders, pilings and pier structure and in the slightest wind on the North River, all but impossible. EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND had to abandon an attempt in 1954 in high winds, overnight at anchor and come back for a second time and crunched her way alongside Pier 97.

But just look at her... IMMACULATE. Her hull always looked like licorice out of the bag and her white boot topping line was a perfect as any. Flawless. All of which makes her all the sadder looking today.

Peter Kohler

1 - 20 of 45 Posts