Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Everyone

I only joined the forum yesterday so I'm not very good at using the site yet - not sure I ever will be!!! but I would like to ask all tug enthusiasts if they have any photos of either Lady Moira, Lady Constance or Salvageman as my Father-in-law was on them years ago - he retired 12 years ago now! I have found a few in the gallery. Or any news/stories to do with United Towing as I am trying to put together a photobook - it would be great if I could get some more photos! I know he went to the Faulklands in 1982 on the Salvageman but I can't seem to find any footage - didn't they warrant a proper send-off?

Thanks, Elaine

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hi Elaine,
I done a gallery photo search for SALVAGEMAN and all the photos are available for your viewing at this location
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=58114
Good luck, never let it be said that us Grey Funnel types were unable to rush to help a member of our favorite sex(Frogger)
AB

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
9,820 Posts
Moved post

Elaine,

I've moved this post from "Hello" to the "Tug" category.

See, you are already getting a response to your request.

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of things before long - we all make mistakes, believe me! (Thumb)

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Hello Elaine
I sailed with a Cyril Reibbitt on the tugs for United Towing, any relation? he was mainly skipper on the harbour tugs although he did occasionally do coastal or oil rig moving work. That was a long time ago and he must be well retired by now. I spent thirteen years with UTC, my father and brothers were skippers with them.
Ray Jordan

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Peteb
That was 'Englishman' 1970. We were based in Singapore but did a few tows to Borneo, (Kuching, Sarawak, around that area). We also did a couple of salvage jobs in the South China Seas and one off the Saudi Coast. The previous crew salvaged the 'Seatrain Washington' in the Mekong Delta. The Vietnam war was still going on and the ship was carrying explosives. Story has it that the tug crew demanded war zone bonus, which they got but also the sack when they flew home but I don't know the full story behind that. When I was there the skipper was Arthur King who became director of his own towing company (AKA) Arthur King Associates. The chief engineer was Charlie Boxhall whose son played rugby for Hull FC. The second mate had an extra masters ticket and went on to became an 'Examiner of Masters and Mates' but I can't remember his name. The other engineers were Brian Chapman who I believe became marine superintendant for South Coast Shipping and Pete Yeomans who I have lost contact with. Peter Hemmerman was the RO, he was an excellent artist who got us a free night on the beer for presenting a Singapore bar with a painting of the ship. Another crew member who shall remain nameless ended up doing time for manslaughter. A mixed bunch to say the least. We had a navigator who couldn't keep his feet when the tug was rolling (and she would roll on the morning dew). I once got smacked on the head by the tow wire in bad weather and he attempted to stitch me up, talk about homeward bounders, at least my hair covered the scar. I remember another tug in Singapore at the time. I can't recall the name although 'Charles' rings a bell. She was timber built with very colourful funnel markings - a red indian in full head dress. She used to tow munition barges to Vietnam where she once took a shell through the galley porthole killing the cook. Alan Keeping and I got offered a job on her which we politely declined.
Ray Jordan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Everyone

I only joined the forum yesterday so I'm not very good at using the site yet - not sure I ever will be!!! but I would like to ask all tug enthusiasts if they have any photos of either Lady Moira, Lady Constance or Salvageman as my Father-in-law was on them years ago - he retired 12 years ago now! I have found a few in the gallery. Or any news/stories to do with United Towing as I am trying to put together a photobook - it would be great if I could get some more photos! I know he went to the Faulklands in 1982 on the Salvageman but I can't seem to find any footage - didn't they warrant a proper send-off?

Thanks, Elaine
Hi there elaine & welcome to this great site. I believe there are quite a few ex United Towing crewmen among the users on here. My Dad (Gordon Mason) was Chief Engineer on a few of Uniteds tugs & my godfather Ernie Baker was also on a few including Salvageman but I am not sure if he was still on her when she went to the falklands. I know there is a good book on United Towing by hutton press but I can't seem to get hold of one as every supplier says it is out of press. My friends dad Ray Chapman who worked for United and later Humber Tugs has a copy but won't part company with it. Keep us all posted with the booklet as I would love a copy.
Regards
Rob Mason

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Elaine

Hi All, I was so pleased to hear from you all - that's made my day!! Cyril Reibbit is my Father-in-law, he has been retired now for about 12 years I think, he done his last trip on Lady Cecilia. He is keeping well but I don't think he stayed in touch with any of the crew!

Danny Reibbitt is my husband - he joined United Towing in 1983 as Galley boy on the Salvageman, then deckhand. He worked for them until 1986, then Humber Tugs. In 1988 he joined the Arco Thames in Southampton as AB and I met him in 1989. He has worked his way up and has just joined the Arco Arun as Master (January 16th 2008). I have just spoken to him on the telephone and he recognise some of your names - it would be great to know some more about you if you don't mind. Ray, which tugs did you sail on and when? Pete, what is your surname?

If you have any more stories to tell I'd love to hear them or any photos (tugs and crew) thank you for the photo of Lady Susan I'll ask Cyril if he did sail on her.

Thank you for letting me know about the book - I think Cyril has a copy so next time we visit I shall ask him for it.

Hope to speak to you all again - bye for now and thanks

Elaine

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Rob
I have a spare copy of that book about United Towing which you are quite welcome to. I am away at the moment in the Gulf of Mexico but am due back in the UK in about three weeks time, if you send me a PM with your address I will post it to you. To be quite honest I wasn't all that impressed with it, too factual for me. I wish someone would write a book about the actual tows and salvage jobs (too numerous to mention I suppose) and some insight into how the crews lived and worked - then again perhaps not!
Elaine
There are a few stories knocking about this site regarding tugs. I have been to a few reunions over the years to meet the lads and I went to a Falklands coming home party, maybe you and your husband were there. I left UTC many years ago when they went into decline.
Ray Jordan

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ray, Thanks for the info.about Englishman 1970.The photo came from Pete
Hemmerman. He was on the same job as me at Immingham just before Xmas
I have been compiling a history about U.T.Co for several years now,hopefully
for book2 one day.Please contact me when your home I,ve hundreds of photos and stories I would like you to see.
Regards Pete Bass

·
Registered
83 Posts
Elaine,The photo of Salvageman & crew came from Tony Porter I,m sure your
husband will know him. I was down South Georgia and the Falklands 1982-84
on RFA Appleleaf and Fort Grange but not on tugs. My father and Uncle both
sailed with U.T.Co as Engineers on The steam tugs Tradesman Merchantman
Englishman and Masterman. Uncle Bill joined the Masterman in WW2, she was
then called Empire Larch. Let me know what photos you need I have hundreds
Regards Pete Bass.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Elaine

Hello Pete

I would love to see any photo's you have of any of the United Towing tugs - Im not sure how many there were though. My husband, Danny, is home next week so I'll have to get him on site so he can catch up with you all.

Ta ra for now. Elaine

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Peteb
You must be the same Pete I met in "Blue Bell' in Sproatley with Barry Pickard? If you are still interested in writing a book about tugs get in touch with Danny and Dave Betts (if you haven't already done so) Danny is ex UTC and has been skipper of the 'Wolraad Woltemade' for about 25 years, his brother Dave (also ex UTC) is a salvage superintendant for Smits in Singapore They have a wealth of experience of ocean going tugs as do quite a few other guys on this site. Their father (like mine) was also skipper with UTC.
I have been out of that game for many years now but I suppose a tug is still a tug so to speak. I can tell you all about Dynamic Positioning if that's any good aha!
You mention Tony Porter. A Tony Porter lives just two doors from me. We both bought a plot of land and built our own houses. He served in the Falklands on the tugs but left to become a Humber pilot. He left the pilot service when ABB took over and went back to sea. could it be the same guy?
Ray Jordan

1 - 20 of 94 Posts