Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again.

These disjointed funnels seem to be a favourite with this photographer.

Hull King George Dock, again. Mid '50s, again.
Wooden lifeboats and steam whistles this time.
Not the Brazil or the Rhodesia.

Any notions gratefully acknowledged.

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Empire Star had wooden boats exactly in that position. Fat stacK like the picture too.
Timaru Star and Dunedin Star had fat funnels like in the picture. So did many other Star boats. Just the stack and one lifeboat not very much to go on.
There should be a picture of Empire Star in SN. I think I put it there a long time ago , but don't know how to navigate my way around yet, to find out.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Empire Star had wooden boats exactly in that position. Fat stacK like the picture too.
Timaru Star and Dunedin Star had fat funnels like in the picture. So did many other Star boats. Just the stack and one lifeboat not very much to go on.
There should be a picture of Empire Star in SN. I think I put it there a long time ago , but don't know how to navigate my way around yet, to find out.
Go into gallery & type in Empire Star in the search box at bottom of 1st lot of pics

·
Registered
328 Posts
I will hazard a guess that she may be English Star 1 or Scottish Star 2.
In Duncan Haws little book the others mentioned above have slightly raked, wire stayed funnels, wheras the 2 I have nominated seem to have a more 'vertical' stack and no wire supports.

Regards
David D.

·
Banned
21 Posts
I have to agree with David, comparing the pics of English Star 1 and Scottish Star 1 on the Blue Star site, it it one of those two vessels but which one I dont know. I think David means Scottish Star 1 not 2 as Scottish Star 2 is a much more modern ship.

Chris.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts