Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Wardroom at the Canadian Naval Base at Halifax is a painting depicting a corvette on the high seas at night, painted by a man named Baillie. Ant information about the painting or the artist would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Santos said:
Hi Keltic Star,

The corvette is HMCS Sackville which is presently being preserved. If you go to the following site it tells you about her.

http://www.hmcssackville-cnmt.ns.ca/news.html

See also :- http://www.hnsa.org/ships/sackville.htm

Kind regards

Santos
Hi Santos, Thanks for the info, but it's not H.M.C.S. "Sackville", I am a member of the Sackville Trust and trying to identify the corvette in the pic for the old timers who served on the "Sackville". I think they are trying to claim it foe the Sackville wardroon rather than have it collect dust in the shoreside base.

Incidentally, H.M.C.S. "Sackville" is going to sea once again on May 6th, albiet for a short voyage down Halifax Harbour, to commemorate Battle of the Atlantic day followed by scattering of ashes for those veterans who have crossed the bar over the past year.

It may be her last voyage as there are firm plans to have her encased in concrete on the waterfront.

Thanks for your input.
Bob

·
Banned
21 Posts
Bob,

Sorry I believed it was Sackville. I read Alan Eastons Book and found it excellent. Wonderful story of the Royal Canadian Navy in WW2, I was very impressed.

I wonder, if he is he still alive. If he is has he been back to see Sackville.

Chris.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Santos said:
Bob,

Sorry I believed it was Sackville. I read Alan Eastons Book and found it excellent. Wonderful story of the Royal Canadian Navy in WW2, I was very impressed.

I wonder, if he is he still alive. If he is has he been back to see Sackville.

Chris.
Chris: I am aware that Alan Easton was active in the original negitiations to have Sackville restored and declared Canada's Naval Memorial but not sure when he was last aboard.
Unfortunately Lt.Cmd. Easton passed away in Ottawa on 21 September 2001 at the age of 93.
Bob

·
Banned
21 Posts
Thanks for the info Bob, sorry to hear he has died, however he certainly lived to a ripe old age. Must have been the sea air .

I hope you find out more about the painting

Kind regards

Chris.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts