Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My father was sent to the far east at the back of WW2, about Jun 45. The attached photo gives little to the untrained eye on the name of the ship and my searches have not been fruitful.

Can anyone help in identifying the ship's name?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Welcome, Bonkers to the site. You never know, there are so many clued up people on this site. The oval plaque on the front of the bridge will have the information you require including the name and number and builders yard. How to enhance it is another matter.
All the best.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Welcome Bonkers - It could be Clan Chisholm/GFBY, my first trip to sea around the same date: it was a DEMS ship (Carried approx. 20 Naval Ratings) If the photo was taken by your father at the time, it has port and starboard Gun Turrets! Also it was one of the first ships to have Radar (Operated by RN personnel) The voyage was from London to Calcutta. There is a Photo of the ship in the Gallery. What was the name of your father ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you. Unfortunately the actual picture is only about an inch & half and as with others of this types, it is one blurry mess when zooming in. Nether the less, your direction is helpful, again thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the name Clan Chisholm but there are slight differences. Through your direction I have found a site that seems to have pictures of most of the Clan ships. Whilst I do not know about ships or even their design, there are similar features in the older ones. I will update you accordingly when I finally get through them all. PS. the route fits nicely.

·
Registered
895 Posts
it was a DEMS ship (Carried approx. 20 Naval Ratings) QUOTE]

Just a note DEMS had nothing to do with whether a vessel carried naval ratings or not. It was literature for Defense and Emergency Measures for Shipping carried in a sealable lead weighted bag and contained various do***ents to be opened when reaching certain latitudes and longitudes whether in convoys or not with latest instructions and precautions and radio frequencies to be used in that area in an emergency situation, the information was restricted to Masters. I was a Marine Supt for a British Company in the 1960's and our vessels still carried these bags and had to be periodically checked by the Master of the vessels when receiving instruction to do so and in the office copies (by myself), as confidential information updates were received on a regular basis, this carried on into the 70's. Don't know when it ceased as I left UK in mid 70's to become a Mar Supt for a Swiss Company

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Ivan, I think the context Bonkers is referring to is Defensively Equipped Merchant Ships [DEMS] which would carry naval ratings as well as army personnel all as part of the crew having signed on the articles of agreement.

Regards
Hugh

·
Registered
895 Posts
Ivan, I think the context Bonkers is referring to is Defensively Equipped Merchant Ships [DEMS] which would carry naval ratings as well as army personnel all as part of the crew having signed on the articles of agreement.

Regards
Hugh
Probably misread the context, but glad to be on the same ship with you again Hugh, Regards

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Feeling is mutual Ivan :) (Thumb)
Regards
Hugh

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
We used to see busloads of gunners en-route Liverpool to HMS Queen Charlotte for gunnery training. That was on the Formby Bypass, circa 1944-45 and each buss had the letters DEMS on its destination thingy.
We also saw target towing planes (Skuas), that must have been flown by very courageous pilots.(Smoke)

HMS Queen Charlotte was the former Lido at Ainsdale.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks Hugh, I was beginning to doubt myself! I knew DEMS was an acronym for Defensively Equipped Merchant Ship - the Clan Chisholm was a DEMS ship - the crew totalled 100 (including a Doctor) On the return voyage from Calcutta, hostilities ceased and the ship was ordered to dump all ammunition. The 4.7 shells were encased in teak boxes, the Captain purloined the boxes and built a ship's garden in them!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bonkers, I'm quite certain that your Dad's ship is not Clan Chisholm. I've numerous photos of the Clan Chisholm of the wartime years and the bridge front is quite different. You can also see the top of the funnel above the wheelhouse, which is probably buff in colour. Clan Line vessels all had black funnel tops. As JG Grant pointed out the builder's plate would reveal all but no amount of enhancement is likely to help there. If you were able to find out who were the ship's owners, I would probably be able to identify her.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Samarah2, thank you for your confirmation. The Bridge front does seems to be unique and yes I have tried enhancing the plaque but that's a no go. Thank you for the offer of identification but unfortunately all I have is the photo and a time frame, which admittingly, could be a month either side of Jun 45. Again, thank you for your time looking at this, much appreciated.

·
Registered
895 Posts
. You can also see the top of the funnel above the wheelhouse, which is probably buff in colour. .
Don't think that is the funnel you can see, it is more than likely the protection cladding for the standard compass on the monkey island atop the wheelhouse, the protection for the navigator when taking azimuths and bearings in inclement weather, and it can be very inclement on the monkey island in a gale blowing you off your feet

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Was your father in the Merchant Navy? If so we could try records if he was a member of
crew on that ship.
Rrgards
Hugh

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hugh, sorry my father was called up into the Army - RASC and the service records transcripts are rather scarce of info, expect, I know this was the ship he was on when travelling to India, or at least India Command. He would have only been 18 at the time. I have recently asked for a copy of the originals, which may help but I suspect this is more hope than anything else. Thank you for the thought.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seaman38, that's a good point you raised about the monkey island cladding but you can clearly see the curved shape at the top which could really only be the funnel. Apart from anything else most merchant ships of this vintage had tall funnels that would certainly have been visible from the aft end of the crew's fo'castle accommodation where this photo was taken. Bonkers, I will keep looking.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
The best clue I can see in that photo is the pair of cranes at the after end of #2 hatch... not a very common arrangement

Permanent awnings between wheelhouse and the bridgewing cabs suggest a ship employed in eastern service...

One of Paddy Hendersons maybe?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bonkers original request has certainly raised some odd comments! and my original response that "It could be" the Clan Chisholm, based on Bonker's date and reference to the far east! which coincided with my first trip as 3rd R/O. samarah2 reference wartime Clan line ships should not apply to Clan Chisholm (There was a previous Clan Chisholm!) as from memory (which is a long time ago) it was only it's second voyage, since commissioning. Also, again from memory, was in battleship grey colour, with no company distinguishing marks. I doubt whether Bonkers photo,was of a wartime ship, as no Rafts are showing! I did question my own suggestion, as in the centre of the monkey island, there is a small curvature which may be the D/F Bellini Tosi Marconi loop whereas the ship, being a Siemens ship used the single loop Adcock & Brown system of D/F. Are the structures on each side of the monkey island, gun turrets?

The posts have brought back many memories which have remained dormant for over 70 years! Thanks Bonkers, hope you can find the information you are seeking.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I can see guns P & S above the bridge wings and a bit of a raft against the shrouds on the port side.... that combined with peacetime colours suggest very soon after August 1945...

I also think the structure on top of the wheelhouse that is painted white is indeed the monkey island structure around the binnacle....

BI?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts