Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
It probably came down the Volga from St. Petersburg. I was with BUE marine 1995-1997 on various ships of theirs in the Caspian. One was 'Baki' a seismic survey boat which had been a Russian spy ship. It was refurbished at Wear dockyard Sunderland, and travelled down the Volga. The ships move on each tide and sit on the bottom waiting for the next one! so takes a few days. Where did you get the pic. from?

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Les

She docked in Thailand so came from the east. Gulpers has got one part of it the road bit. How did she get from Thailand to the Caspian. There were 3 other forms of transport.The photo is from another SN Member who I work with here in the Caspian he was on its total journey

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CED
Shes in a small floating dock with another one of our vessels. Its just starting to get into the wintertime when photo was taken I think Clint said 2003 and its ice all the way around her.

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
exsailor said:
Dismantled in Thailand. Railed, roaded and barged, then re-assembled.
Rail is part of it no barging involved.

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dom said:
one of the low loading ships took them to the black sea ,then low loader truck to the caspian
Dom

She came from the East so no where near Black sea.No other ship was involved. So far we have rail,road and under her own power. That leaves one part

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Sections lifted by heavy-lift helicopter? (?HUH)

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gulpers said:
Sections lifted by heavy-lift helicopter? (?HUH)
Nope

Boat remained in one piece all the way. Vietnam to Thailand under own power.After Thailand there was road and rail transport but what was one of the legs by.

·
Super Moderator
6,624 Posts
I was thinking of one of the giant Antonov freighters, but dont think even they could manage her. However you can never tell. They have a huge appetite!!
Regards
Hawkey01

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hawkey01 said:
I was thinking of one of the giant Antonov freighters, but dont think even they could manage her. However you can never tell. They have a huge appetite!!
Regards
Hawkey01
Thata the final form of transport she was loaded into a Giant Transport plane.
The route was Vietnam to Thailand own power. Thailand/Laos/China byTrain.
Kyrgzstan by Road transporter then Uzbekistan to final destination by Plane. It took 3 months for whole voyage and had a Marine Captain accompany it all the way for Insurance.

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ian Harrod said:
There is something strange about the block arrangement aft. Does she have an asymetrical stern?
Ian
Reason for block arrangements she was getting fitted with Ice knives to protect the props and rudders. Its also the angle photo was taken at.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts