Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-whole-world-is-watching-us/

You probably have seen on TV all the nasty things happening in the USA? Frankly I am both surprised and happy that some 'usual-suspects' have not begun nasty SN posts about the USA. So I will tell you what I see happening on local television.

First the unemployment rate for San Diego County is 27% - that means that there are a LOT of mostly young citizens of all skin colors with nothing to do. We have had ten days and ten nights of wide spread protests. A week ago Saturday night late in the evening some individuals began looting and destroying -- ie by burning down the buildings - of businesses.

Today is Sunday June 7th, a week ago today, May 31st, individuals appeared from everywhere to help clean up the looting and the vandalism. Business owners, just viewing the destruction, were astonished by all of the people that showed up, to help clean up. And help clean up they did.

There has been a lot of lines of riot clad police kneeling down in front of mobs. Same thing with the deployed National Guard, they would line up, facing the crowd then kneel down.

Something else that has been shown over and over are the crowds of peaceful people who just want to walk around and let their protests be heard.

I think just about everyone was stunned last Monday June 1st? When police who joined the marchers, left their gun home, in uniform bare headed wearing a police portable radio on one hip and a baton, in a loop, on the other hip. They walked along the outsides of the parade groups, and what do you know, they even looked like real people.

Everyday and every night this past week there has been no rioting or destruction, but there have been protests in nearly every city in the area.

Multi Billion dollar Police Department budgets are being reduced in the $100 - $150 Million dollar ranges. That money earmarked to be used for good works in poorer neighborhoods. There is a move afoot to remove from police use most, but not all, of the ex-military armored vehicles, hardware and equipment.

The State of California legislature passed and the Governor signed a bill outlawing Police Departments and other law enforcement agencies, working in California; of restricting an individuals blood flow at the neck.

MOST local jurisdictions have made announcements that they will never use those tactics again. Initially the San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore announced that since his department has ONLY used these holds, SIXTY-SIX TIMES so far this year, that deputies would continue to use it. The next day Gore publicly contradicted himself.

Attached:
toronto-star-political-cartoon-michael-de-adder-620-E.jpg (150.3 KB)
blame-china-cartoon-620.jpg (137.1 KB)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
I was horrified bye what was shown on TV . But now I understand there is a lot more to the picture .
The effect has been to make George Floyd a hero ; Which he was not .

The world has again gone nuts .

Check a Black American view on the situation ; check Candice Owens comment on George on line ; also a follow up of what happened on camera before he was arrested .

Troubled times ; but time for people to check every side on an incident before going nuts like the States.

The police officer should have eased up on the pressure as he had enough help to constrain George .
A nightmare for all involved .
Derek

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
,And what do you know, they even looked like real people.

Kelw Dude, they are real people and put their lives on the line every day they leave home for work.

I read the article that Candie Owen wrote and she is 100 percent right. George Floyd did not need to die in that way, there is more to his health problems that the press are not telling. R.I.P Mr. Floyd.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't really care what other people do, but I find the "taking the knee" personally offensive. I agree he should not have died that way, but there is no way he should be made out a "hero" a much overused word in my opinion.

·
Registered
112 Posts
We had a weekend of demonstrations with people defying the isolation laws with impunity. I think that instead of carrying on like idiots in the city, a lot of people who scream 'black lives matter' should go and get some dirt between their toes at the outback settlements.
They might use the billions of dollars that have been poured into the black hole of "Aboriginal Advancement" and start looking after their own and 'kneel' before the women and children of those settlements who are bashed, abused and murdered by their own people.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
All lives matter. In the ideal world there should be no racism what so ever. You should be treated the same whatever your colour, nationality or creed. George Floyd should not have died whilst being arrested. George Floyd was a criminal with a long track record who apparently on this occasion, resisted arrest. He was most certainly, not a hero and he should not become a martyr or be compared to decent people like Rosa Parks. The knee on the throat manoeuvre has long been a means of constraint for law enforcement agencies in the US( some have now banned it). I would have thought that 4 burly officers would have been able to restrain George by other means. Therefore they should be answerable for the actions. I just wonder had it been a non black criminal wether the same fuss would have ensued. Unfortunately, it has left every looney leftie in the UK with the ability to mass gather in cities with no social distancing who have now undone a lot of the good work done by the majority of people and the NHS and will probably lead to a second spike of Covid-19 in the UK.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Well KD they have crawled out from under their rocks again. It is amazing that “those people” meaning dumpers Barmy army have nothing but hate, envy and vitriol to contribute. As they used to say “They are more to be pitied than scolded”. To spout law and order when they have propagated the largest crimes in US history and are actively destroying the constitution, which by the way some on here had sworn to uphold and protect, is beyond belief. Truly his supporters are sad and empty people who have marginalized themselves and who will hopefully pay a price for.
Like a ship a divided crew was a miserable experience whereas one that coexisted and worked together was a joy.
Some people never learn.
It is good for the world to see that a huge section of this country is not taking this lying down. It amazes me that they have managed to build a new prison in a week to keep the cause of their discontent contained. I even hear that Mexico will pay for this wall too.
Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Thanks Kewl Dude. A heart warming account at last. The media always point their cameras at the noisiest lunatic present.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
The method of 'restraint' involving strangulation has never, ever, been part of any trained or authorised method in the United Kingdom.
That being the case can anyone please explain why the howling mobs are attacking police officers in this country? Why are they taking to the streets anyway? Apart from an opportunity to cause mayhem and destruction, and to defy any form of regulation, in this case the perfectly proper quarantine regulations.
As I understand it, the American officer involved had a conviction for assault - in most countries of the world that would probably debar his employment as a police officer, but not in the USA apparently.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
George Floyd wasn't a hero but he was a human being..If you were seen kneeling on a dog like that the ASPCA would be up in arms..

George Floyd was the 'last straw' in the ongoing racism by the judicial system in the USA..
From Rodney King (the four officers, initially aquitted were only brought to justice, on civil right's abuse, after the violent demonstrations), through the Zimmerman/Martin killing, to Ahmaud Arbery (whose killers were only charged after a delay of two months and civil protests in Georgia)

Can you honestly say say that had it been a black on white killing the charges wouldn't have been instantaneous and the verdicts different?

As for the 'howling mob' attacking police officers in the UK???? Police spokespersons in all areas have said that the protests were almost entirely peaceful with the exception of a few who were looking for trouble.. As one journalist said, after being injured by a thug, "99% of the people there were very kind.”

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
As for the 'howling mob' attacking police officers in the UK???? Police spokespersons in all areas have said that the protests were almost entirely peaceful with the exception of a few who were looking for trouble.. As one journalist said, after being injured by a thug, "99% of the people there were very kind.”
Only 27 Police officers injured in London and a Police horse, union flag burnt on the cenotaph, etc. In Bristol a local philanthropist's statue torn down.
Yes, all very peaceful.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
In Bristol a local philanthropist's statue torn down.
Yes, all very peaceful.
You refer to Edward Colston as a local philanthropist. You omitted to mention that he was a prominent 17th Century slave trader involved in the transportation of tens of thousands of West Africans. Some people hold the opinion that the scale of that crime somewhat outweighs the fact that, having enjoyed the benefits derived from the trade during his life, on his death he left his wealth to charities.

The Kray brothers were also reputed to have used money gained from their criminal activities to do good deeds for some (a few) poor people in the East End of London. Nobody has suggested that statues should be erected to them.

Time change.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
Men holding the office of Archbishop of Canterbury authorised burning heretics at the stake.
Francis Drake would now be called a pirate.

It was all quite normal then, as was slavery, times change but one cannot change history. It happened, it hopefully does not happen now.

The main point that I am attempting to put across is simple:
How on earth does a homicide in the USA have any bearing whatsoever on people in Britain?

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Only 27 Police officers injured in London and a Police horse, union flag burnt on the cenotaph, etc. In Bristol a local philanthropist's statue torn down.
Yes, all very peaceful.
I utterly condemn that violence. However, as with every protest (on any matter) there will be 'idiots and agent provocateurs' who set out with the sole object of causing violence and damage..
My reference to 'almost entirely peaceful' was taken from the police themselves..
Regarding the statue..this was a man who made a fortune from slavery, who was responsible for over 100,000 humans being treated as animals of burden, whose company 'logo' was branded on the chests of men, women and children.. For years those who wanted its removal by the council were blocked by Tory councillors who even objected to a plaque explaining that his good works were funded by slavery...
The statue has long been described as a monument to slavery, I have no objection to it being in a museum (as a reminder of history) but not in a prominent site..
Mussolini made the trains run on time but I doubt a statue to him would be acceptable in the Roma Termini railway station.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Anyone want to put forward a convincing argument for George being a clean living pacifist who was a pillar of the community. Police officers around the world take an oath "to serve and protect". That means everyone regardless of colour, nationality, creed or sexual orientation. The police officers responsible for his death should stand trial and be punished if found guilty. They are certain to be found guilty as there is no way on gods earth that they will ever get a fair trial due to the events following George's passing. There would be more chance of Adolf Hitler being awarded Saint status. These 4 guys were loose cannons who should never have been police officers and they give the decent ones a bad reputation but if any of you want to have sympathy, have it for the families of the black and white police officers who are shot at, stabbed and abused every day of their working lives for no reason other than they are policemen. Expats said that George was not a hero but he was a human being, fair enough and I agree. He was entitled to be restrained responsibly to respect his safety despite the fact he resisted arrest. He had the right to be presented safely for trial for the crime he was arrested for and in short he had the right to police protection for whatever he did. I believe that all that has happened following this offence will lead good police officers not to do their jobs for fear of being accused of racism. Sometimes it is nothing to do with racism, it is just about lifting baddies of the streets whatever their colour, creed etc etc. I am reminded of the period following the Borough Market attacks when special forces were assisting police patrols to stop and search suspicious people all over London. One guy who was stopped took offence as he was a Muslim gentleman of Syrian descent and felt that he was only stopped for how he looked. My son's boss heard his complaint and suggested that when White people start strapping devices to themselves, or blowing up kids at pop concerts he will ensure that as many are stopped and searched. As it turned out, this gentle soul had a machete in his back pack for "protection". This is the danger chaps. We could go so far the other way that we allow baddies to walk free because of fear of the race card. Race cards should be restricted to race courses. My last word on the subject.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Slavery still goes on now as frequently reported in the media. `Black Lives Matter`, should be `All Lives Matter`, only self perpetuating by putting black as the lead off word.

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
Slavery still goes on now as frequently reported in the media. `Black Lives Matter`, should be `All Lives Matter`, only self perpetuating by putting black as the lead off word.
I agree, but we are a long way from that sort of individualism, just about every single person on this earth consider their identity to be of a membership kind. One should perhaps have considered the fight against the Nazis to remain unfinished until all German Jews were considered at least simply German, if not simply human. But no Jews would have accepted it, they would nearly all of them have seen this not as a sympathetic attitude, but rather as supportive of Hitler's racism.

But, as said, I agree, the blacks must themselves refuse to see themselves as a race apart, they must find it as easy to embrace white culture as we embrace black. No white person is going to be accused of "acting black" if he prefers Ellington to Beethoven, he is merely observed as liking jazz. And If Obama is half black, as often have been claimed, then of course he is also half white, as nobody has dared claim. And that is out of the book of Nazi racism, the idea that Jewish blood were "dominant", that one drop of it was a "total contamination."

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
On the news awhile ago it said that 300 police officers were injured this week in New York. We also have a case in St. Louis where a retired police Captain was helping protect his friends shop when 5 of the looters killed him, video cams caught them in the shop and they arrested one of them today, the retried Captain was black.
I dont see any Marchers honoring the dead captain.

Just found this article.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local...cle_3e95441e-4126-520b-9c41-fbbcbf889e6c.html

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
George Floyd was as high as a kite on drugs at the time of his arrest ; some drugs can give superhuman strength which is perhaps why it eventually took 4 police to hold him down .
The video following the Candice Owens speech on the subject of George is followed by a video showing police approaching the vehicle after it was stopped ; all very civil and calm with no weapons drawn ; this all before the later video which was shown on the media . Why did they not also show the video before the arrest .
Derek

1 - 20 of 55 Posts