Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
USS Forrestal

Do any members remember the 'Forrestal' visiting the Port of Southampton in, or around, 1960.
I seem to think she was berthed alongside the old Ocean Terminal, but then again, I have been wrong before, so why break the habit.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I remember being in drydock in Palermo while the Forrestal was there, got chatting to a few of the chaps off her and got invited on board to have a look around.
300 people living in a space that was not that much bigger than the ship I was on's mess-room !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do any members remember the 'Forrestal' visiting the Port of Southampton in, or around, 1960.
I seem to think she was berthed alongside the old Ocean Terminal, but then again, I have been wrong before, so why break the habit.
It's on Wikipedia:

...her first NATO operation, Operation Strikeback in the North Sea. This deployment, between 3 September and 22 October 1957, found her visiting Southampton, England...

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Even though FORRESTAL is laid up in Rhode Island.. her anchors are still at sea. They're used on board USS HARRY S TRUMAN (CVN-75)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts