Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst doing some research for my book, I was astounded to discover that the deliberate attack on the American ELINT ship USS Liberty by the Israeli navy and air-force over 51 years ago has still not been subject to a formal inquiry by the U.S. government.
The attack, in which 34 American seamen were murdered and 171 wounded, lasted for over an hour and was carried out by Israel despite overwhelming proof that they were fully aware that the ship was a U.S. naval vessel.
What is even more astonishing is the fact that two flights of jet-fighters from the U.S. Sixth Fleet stationed off Crete, which were sent to assist the Liberty, were re-called by the U.S. Secretary of Defence, McNamara, due to the fact that he thought the attackers might be Russian and did not want to start an incident. How pathetic is that?
It appears that anyone in the US who has tried to call for an official inquiry receives a visit from NCIS and told 'to let it go, or else...' and as the number of surviving crew members of the Liberty dwindle each year, it is extremely un-likely that the true facts behind this incident will ever be exposed.
As is currently the case with the missing Saudi journalist in Turkey, it would appear that if you are a Middle Eastern country and an ally of America then you can literally get away with murder while the rest of the world looks on impotently.
It's pretty sad to realise that the crew of the USS Liberty are never going to see justice done for the terrible events they experienced.

Regards Phil

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
"Israel has no greater friend than America, and America has no greater friend than Israel." Benjamin Netanyahu to the US Senate.

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Whilst doing some research for my book, I was astounded to discover that the deliberate attack on the American ELINT ship USS Liberty by the Israeli navy and air-force over 51 years ago has still not been subject to a formal inquiry by the U.S. government.
The attack, in which 34 American seamen were murdered and 171 wounded, lasted for over an hour and was carried out by Israel despite overwhelming proof that they were fully aware that the ship was a U.S. naval vessel.
What is even more astonishing is the fact that two flights of jet-fighters from the U.S. Sixth Fleet stationed off Crete, which were sent to assist the Liberty, were re-called by the U.S. Secretary of Defence, McNamara, due to the fact that he thought the attackers might be Russian and did not want to start an incident. How pathetic is that?
It appears that anyone in the US who has tried to call for an official inquiry receives a visit from NCIS and told 'to let it go, or else...' and as the number of surviving crew members of the Liberty dwindle each year, it is extremely un-likely that the true facts behind this incident will ever be exposed.
As is currently the case with the missing Saudi journalist in Turkey, it would appear that if you are a Middle Eastern country and an ally of America then you can literally get away with murder while the rest of the world looks on impotently.
It's pretty sad to realise that the crew of the USS Liberty are never going to see justice done for the terrible events they experienced.

Regards Phil
What's an ELINT ship?

John T

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Reference my post #2 and Greg's pictures of the Liberty - I would say that is a perfect example of friendly fire. With friends such as those you will never be short of enemies.

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
There was always a smell to the stories about the USS Liberty, I have read two different stories and there are many lies to both. History does repeat itself, for members that can remember the Gulf of Tonkin, Johnson and McNamara did the say thing with the North Vietnamese gunboats, a pilot by the name of Stockdale, yes the one that was shot down later and became a POW stated, "I had the best seat in the house and was flying above the Destroyer at 2000 feet and I saw no gunboats only the gun fire from the ship across the water."

In the case of the Liberty the plan went wrong, Johnson and McNamara wanted the US dragged into the 6 day war by saying it was Egypt that attacked the Liberty.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
There was always a smell to the stories about the USS Liberty, I have read two different stories and there are many lies to both. History does repeat itself, for members that can remember the Gulf of Tonkin, Johnson and McNamara did the say thing with the North Vietnamese gunboats, a pilot by the name of Stockdale, yes the one that was shot down later and became a POW stated, "I had the best seat in the house and was flying above the Destroyer at 2000 feet and I saw no gunboats only the gun fire from the ship across the water."

In the case of the Liberty the plan went wrong, Johnson and McNamara wanted the US dragged into the 6 day war by saying it was Egypt that attacked the Liberty.
I doubt it was the US...The most likely scenario is that Israel wanted the US to believe that it was an Egyptian attack and, so, enter the war. Israel wanted no survivors which is why there were multiple waves of air attacks followed by torpedo/gun boats and which, by both air and sea, machine gunned the liferafts and the sailors launching them.

When, despite the 'jamming' the USS Liberty managed to contact the main US fleet and inform them that the planes were Israeli, Johnson and McNamara were faced with the choice of a US/Israel shooting war or recalling the US fighters; they chose the latter rather than go to war with their main 'ally' in the region.

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
I think that's what I said.

n the case of the Liberty the plan went wrong, Johnson and McNamara wanted the US dragged into the 6 day war by saying it was Egypt that attacked the Liberty.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I think that's what I said.

n the case of the Liberty the plan went wrong, Johnson and McNamara wanted the US dragged into the 6 day war by saying it was Egypt that attacked the Liberty.
Reading the latest excuses out of the Saudi royal house and Donald Trump's eager acceptance of it, I see some similarity in that Trump wants SA kept on board to support his plan to attack Iran. Oy vey.

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
Reading the latest excuses out of the Saudi royal house and Donald Trump's eager acceptance of it, I see some similarity in that Trump wants SA kept on board to support his plan to attack Iran. Oy vey.
It sure was a poor excuse, he was fighting a bunch of killers with his fists and they were armed with Bone Saws. Reminds me of Korea when we discovered a tunnel at the DMZ that the North Koreans had dug, it was about 6 feet wide and miles long, they had thrown coal dust
around the shaft and then told the United Nations Enquiry that they were digging for coal.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was recently contacted by a female reporter for some obscure American newspaper who had never heard of the USS Liberty incident and asked to conduct an interview over the phone.
We made a date and time for her to contact me but she never kept the appointment.
Not that I could have told her much as I only knew the details from stuff picked up on the internet but I still find it incredible that this horrific attack could have been swept under the carpet and the American public kept in the dark for all these years.

Regards Phil

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
Many people of a younger generation are in the dark over the USS Liberty and the Tonkin Gulf. I am not surprised at all Phil.
If you need a good read check out the Bio of James Bond Stockdale US Navy Retired, a very brave man who was set up to fail as Ross Pero's running mate, the press made him out to be an idiot, the man was very sick and suffering from Dementia when on the stage debating.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whilst I am in lockdown, I'm reading a book called GCHQ, a book on the history of the British intelligence service.
The author states that the reason behind the Israeli attack on the USS Liberty was due to the ship having picked up the messages from the Israeli army commanders issuing instructions to massacre the Egyptian POW's captured in the Sinai Desert.
This view was also shared by one of the top American commanders.
The author has access to a host of confidential information, so no reason to disregard his statement regarding this un-provoked attack on an un-armed vessel.
It would be good if the US Government could confirm the truth of this incident after all these years, but the reality is that we are probably never going to get to the bottom of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts