Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Manners USS

I spent a year on the Komata just before she was slod. Have a lot of memories of her, mostly good ones. The machinery was is in good nick when she was sold. Did a lot of work on her, even had a hot smoky unit one night in Bass straight, luckly it was dead came. Never been a been a great fan of a hot unit. Went surfing on her one night, backwards a few times, even been barriered out from all from all others. Our cargo was a little liguid, well some of it and had a low flash point. Same ship, before I joined her, went on the rocks, wrong turn approaching Wellington. Ever hear of magnetic torches, dont help the compass
Jim B (Applause) (Thumb)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Interesting the Manners bought a number of Union ships. Apart from the Komata, I sailed a ship called the Ashburton with Trinders. Manners bought he in the UK. I was on her then she was bought my Manners. I spent three and a half months tied up in the Tyne when half the engine was taken out and repaired. I often wonder if Manners kept he very long.
Jim B

·
Registered
766 Posts
John
Thank you for the Ashburton information. I was one of the people who were flown to Noumea to work on her to bring her back to the UK. I spent from 18 Dec 61 in the Tyne during the repaire time was done on the engine, and other bits up to March 62. I am in the process of writing up my experiences with her, and a few others. My aim is to leave a history of my time at sea, especialy my children and grandchildren.
Jim B

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.