Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm looking for further information on the steamer "Vaccares" 2997 brt.

Build by Ateliers & Chantiers de la Seine Maritime Worms & Cie, Le Havre, France 1924

From May 1937 it sailed for the german company Hanseatica Aschpurwis & Veltjens, S.A. Panama

14.4.1939 it sailed for Aschpurwis & Veltjens, Hamburg and was renamed "Hohenhörn"

In WW2 it was taken over by the german navy, used as trooptransporter and renamed "Maravi".

21.10.1944 it hit a mine and sunk on pos. 57.45,097 N 11.29,950 E near Göteborg, Sweden.

I have the technical details on the steamer, but would like to know more about its history and where it sailed.

Regards
Joern

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Being Danish, I guess you have seen this?(but in case not):

http://vrag.dk/vrag/hohenhorn.html

there's also a thread,which you may have seen, at
http://www.warsailors.com/forum/read.php?1,9543,9543#msg-9543

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danzig, July 1, 1939.

YESTERDAY morning four German army officers in mufti arrived here by night express from Berlin to organise Danzig Heimwehr.

All approaches to hills and dismantled fort, which constitute a popular public promenade on western fringe of the city have been closed with barbed wire and "Verboten" notices.

3. The walls surrounding the shipyards bear placards "Comrades, keep your mouths shut lest you regret consequences."

4. Master of a British steamship whilst he was roving Königsberg from 28th June to 30th June observed considerable military

DETERIORATION IN DANZIG SITUATION 97

activity, including extensive shipment of camouflaged covered lorries and similar material by small coasting vessels. On 28th June four medium-sized steamers loaded with troops, lorries, field kitchens, &c., left Königsberg ostensibly returning to Hamburg after manoeuvres but actually proceeding to Stettin. Names of steamers were Hohenhorn, with heavy derricks each capable of lifting about 50 tons, Sharhorn, Tilsit and Utlandhorn, all modern well-equipped vessels, each about 5,000 tons gross.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The person most active for the refugees was businessman Abraham Stiller, a member of the Jewish Community in Helsinki and a long time activist for the cause of the refugees. On hearing on the plight of the refugees, that were to be handed over to the Germans, he called upon every politician he could in order to change the verdict. His efforts bare partial fruit. On November 6, 1942, in spite of all the lobbying 8 Jews are sent to Estonia upon the ship Hohenhorn. Only one of them survived the war.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi John

Thanks for the help. I knew the link to the wreck page, but the rest is very usefull for me. I'm still interested in knowing when and why the german navy changed the name to "Maravi". From the info you found it seems that she was still named "Hohenhorn" on November 6, 1942.

Regards
Joern

1 - 3 of 3 Posts