Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Can anyone identify, and if possible, supply photos of the following ships my dad served on -

Melampus - 1951
Dardanus - 1951 - 52
Calchas - 1952
Atreus - 1953
Idomeneus - 1953 - 54

I believe they must be one of the Liverpool based fleets.? I take it by the names that they were vessels of the same company.?

Thanks,

Rushie.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Rushie,

Yup all Blue Flue boats:

MELAMPUS: built 1924, one of a three sisters, and the only one to survive WW2. Initially under the NSMO (Dutch Blue Funnel) flag, transferring to the Red Ensign in 1950. Broken up at Intherkeithing in 1955.

DARDANUS: built 1920 for Glen Line as Glenapp, one of nine sisters which incidentally were the largest motorships in the world at the time. Glen Line were a part of the Royal Mail conglomerate (as were Elder Dempster) and when Royal Mail went bankrupt the nine sisters were divided between Royal Mail (3), Holland American (2) and four remained with Glen Line. In 1949 Glenapp was renamed Dardanus and used on the Far East to Australia service. Broken up at Inverkeithing in 1957.

CALCHAS: Built 1947, the lead ship of the A boats, (these were known as the A1 type) these being the post war rebuild of the fleet. She was renamed Glenfinlas in 1957 under the Glen Line flag. in 1957, she reverted to the name Calchas. In 1971/2 she was operated under the Elder Dempster flag, remaining as Calchas. In 1973 she was damaged by fire at Port Kelang, Malaysia when a petrol engined fork lift truck caught fire after it was dropped in one of the hatches from the tween-deck onto the tank top. She was found to be beyond economic repair and was towed to Kaohsiung to be broken up. at the time your father was on her, she was the cadet ship for Blue Funnel. I think there is a link to another site...try searching under CADETSHIPS, or if I find it later I'll add it to this post.

ATREUS: Another A boat, this time an A2. Built in 1950, and remained in theh fleet with this name until 1977, when she was sold and renamed UNITED VALIANT. Broken up in Kaohsiung in 1979.

IDOMENEUS: One of a class of two ship, built in 1926 and scrapped in Genoa in 1962

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

Allan

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just another thought, if you would like to see photos of the above, get the ships in focus book; Blue Funnel Line, got a fairly comprehensive list of photos of Blue Funnel ships.

Regards

Allan

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
Hello,

Can anyone identify, and if possible, supply photos of the following ships my dad served on -

Melampus - 1951
Dardanus - 1951 - 52
Calchas - 1952
Atreus - 1953
Idomeneus - 1953 - 54

I believe they must be one of the Liverpool based fleets.? I take it by the names that they were vessels of the same company.?

Thanks,

Rushie.
Ahoy Rushie,
Found your Dardanus as Glenapp 1920, unfortunately not the best shots, as they were taken quit a few years ago.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts