Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
4,558 Posts
MV Vaterland

This is a brief History of the MV Vaterland, if you are a cruise liner enthusiast you are on the wrong page this is the history of the Coaster. Also not to be cofused with the Vaterland which was owned by Ludwig Lührs, Wischhafen.

Everybody has a favorite ship that they sailed on and this one was mine.

As far as I can gather she was a one off and had no sister ships she. I am not sure what her original purpose was but she had huge walk in freezers air conditioning on every cabin and mess and accomodation for 20 people.

Year Of Build: 1958Yard: Theodore Buschmann No 61Type: Freighter 489GWT:942DWT:1300LOA:64,70x10,16x5,85Eng:4T 8 cil. Kl.-Humb.-Deutz (320x450) 1000 hpSpeed: 11 knotsCall Sign: DAFF

Launched as the MV Bosco for Baltische & Overzeese Scheepvaart. Mij, Rotterdam

In 1966 she changed to the German Flag and was renamed Vaterland but the company/owner is not clear.

In 1981 bought by the late Captain Heinrich Kottemann (1938-1991) under Charter to Dammers and Van der Heide managed by Wilhelm Tietjen of Hamburg.

In 1987 laid up in Vlaardingen after the loss of a propellor forced the owner into sale of vessel. Sold to A.V Marine, Florida and renamed Cha Cha. Honduras.

In 1998 After delivery to Florida the Kottemann family handed her over to her new owners at the Miami Shipyards Southwest 2nd Ave and waved a rueful goodbye.

1989 Renamed Haiti Express. Honduras

1996 Renamed Anderson. Honduras

2001 Renamed Julie Elizabeth. Belize

On the 3rd of July 2002 a fire started in the engineroom and spread into the accomodation at 18 miles off Puerto Cabello,vessel was towed to harbour. No fatalities one crew member injured, cargo of paper rolls was discharged. Vessel was broken up in 2004.

A fine pen and ink drawing by my dear friend John Baird from Letterkenny Co Donegal

The Vaterland Under Captain Kottemann's Command.

When Captain Henry as he was fondly known on the Irish coast bought the Vaterland she was involved the shipping of general cargo from continental Europe to Britain and Ireland she was a regular trader to Dundalk, Drogheda and Cork and Rotterdam with cargoes ranging from shock absorbers to ammunition for the Irish Army.

Alas the general cargo trade for small ships was fastly being overtaken by containers and ships that could not be converted were destined for the bulk trade. With this came a new life of china clay soya meal and the dreaded fishmeal. We still traded mainly on the Irish coast but the routes and ports became more diverse.

The Vaterland was now a regualr at Dundalk, Drogheda, Belfast, Kinsale, Par, Fowey, Exemouth, Teignmouth, Avonmouth, Wivenhoe Glasson Dock, Le Legue, Granville, St Malo and Rotterdam just to mention a few. Bulk cargoes were hard work compared to crates and most of the original crew moved on. I did my first trips in 1984 at 14 and worked for the summer the following summer I went on for the holidays and didnt go home for 2 years.

She was manned by a crew of 7, Captain, Mate, Bosun, 3 deckhands and a cook, we were allowed to knock some of the excess cabins together and build a lounge for the crew which was complete with a bar. Cabins were spacious with day beds desks and sinks. The ship also had a hospital.

All in all she was a happy ship with a good crew and skipper food was prepared by Antnio Da Silva from Cape Verde who did not own a sinlge cook book but could make any dish requested including shepherds pie and Irish stew and of course Erpsen(pea) soup which was served every Saturday on most German and Dutch ships.

Although most of the crew were Irish or Cape Verde she was run to German rule. Watches were 12-6 and 6-12. Working day Monday to Friday started at 0800 after breakfast coffee from 1000 to 1020 lunch from 1200-1300 coffee from 1500-1520 working day finsihed at 1700 and evening buffet served at 1730. Saturday was 0800-1200 cleaning would start with wheelhouse brightwork etc and work down through superstructure. Alcohol could be purchased on board but was not given out until near arrival at port drinking while underway was forbidden withe the exception of Christmas Day when wine and beer would be served with dinner.

In 1987 the ship lost its prop in Rotterdam and was towed to a waiting birth in Vlaardingen. The Captain could simply not afford to repair the ship and while laid up she was losing money a decision was regretfully made to sell the vessel and her time in our ownership had come to an end we delivered the ship later that year to her new owners in Miami Florida. The Trip across the Atlantic was fantastic with some of the best weather I have ever seen on an Atlantic crossing.

She came to a tragic end in 2002 after catching fire and was broken up in 2004

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.