Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
USS Isabel, 1940. You can't hold it, but software makes mistakes easier to correct, and my use of tools and failing vision (and skill) aren't what they used to be. Plus, I'm not taking up the wife's shelf space!(Pint)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Nice model Sully. Here's one sent to me by a job applicant last week of the new AA colours.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, more pix below. Making a 1918 version, and a 1942 version is easy when you can reuse the main bones of the vessel, and get out the virtual paint can.B\)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
good day sully,th,11,march.2013.04:38.re:virtual model ok.?great models.thanks for sharing.ben27

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
good morning sully.today.04:47.re:thank you for your reply.and more great models.your computer skills are pretty good,thanks for posting,regards ben27

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 new and 1 repainted.

Dutch Eversteen Class DD in 1941

Late model USN Farragut class DD

Darn, noticed I didn't install the lifelines on the Eversteen. The Chief and the Captain will have my hide. Lucky it can be done at dockside.(Scribe)

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
1 new and 1 repainted.

Dutch Eversteen Class DD in 1941

Late model USN Farragut class DD

Darn, noticed I didn't install the lifelines on the Eversteen. The Chief and the Captain will have my hide. Lucky it can be done at dockside.(Scribe)
Are these 3D models? Which package are you using?
Thanks for info

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are these 3D models? Which package are you using?
Thanks for info
They are 3D models made with FSDS (Flight Simulator Design Studio) made for aircraft design. Sad, that community seems to be ruled by hackers. So I no longer build for them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
They are 3D models made with FSDS (Flight Simulator Design Studio) made for aircraft design. Sad, that community seems to be ruled by hackers. So I no longer build for them.
Great work Sully, does it take long to get up to speed with this software? When I worked (retired) I used Solidworks, which as you may know is a 3D design package. I'm planning to build a historic ship for which there are almost no drawings available so to sketch it first to make sure everything fits would be a great advantage. Derek

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great work Sully, does it take long to get up to speed with this software? When I worked (retired) I used Solidworks, which as you may know is a 3D design package. I'm planning to build a historic ship for which there are almost no drawings available so to sketch it first to make sure everything fits would be a great advantage. Derek
Derek: With your previous experience, you may have enough expertise to handle it. I only have FSDS and some GMAX knowledge. If your program used primitives (polygons making up squares, triangles cubes etc.) as the building blocks for the models, your learning curve would be limited to the methods to construct a model in the new program compared to Solidworks.

FSDS is M$ windows based (yuk!=easily hacked) and permits input of background plans (profiles) to permit fairly accurate models. I've used photos and drawings (and some hybrids of both) to provide a template of vessels I wanted to build because of the absence, or great cost of plans. I'm 65 and retired, living on fixed income and make models for fun, not for profit.

Another consideration is that this program permits construction of vessels that may be placed in a virtual world (flight sim) as scenery or "aircraft" - ships, but on a flat sea. With my negative experience with hackers in the flight sim world, I wouldn't recommend you go there. Attached is a screen shot of mine from that world. Its sad that part of my retirement disrupted by such trashy people.

Abacuspub.com is the web address and FSDS 3.5 is the program. It is relatively inexpensive and I'd be happy to give you pointers if you are interested. If I can do it, anyone can.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Many thanks for the time and effort you have put into your reply Sully, it's much appreciated. Like you modelling is a Hobby for me.

This is the Ship I am planning to build.

st-def-bruce-ship.jpg

Thanks also for the offer of help, might just take you up on your offer.

Kind Regards Derek

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, nice looking square rigger. Have you checked archives and possibly some sites about exploration? The biggest problem is that there are probably no photos. You would be restricted to drawings and artist renderings. I've found these can many times be misleading. But, since this is a "fun" project that is irrelevant.

Have you researched ship specifications yet? This, with some similar period ship plans/drawings etc. would give you a try at her. I've done some small sailing vessels, but none of them square rigged.
Let me see what I can find. I'll get back to you.

Perhaps this is better with private messages. I'll send you one after some research. To me this is liking finding a wayward dog. Lets see... where is the owner?(?HUH)

Please post your needs on the ship research research forum here. Someone out there might have some helpful info.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks again Sully for your continued support. I have been researching this ship both on this and many other websites including Norway (she started life as the Norwegian Sealer/Whaler the 'Hekla'). Fortunately there are quite a few photos online, if you Google SY Scotia Scottish National Antarctic Expedition 1902-1904 you will find them from many sources. Also a very kind Lady at the Scott Polar Research Institute, University of Cambridge directed me to a book entitled ' The Log of the Scotia' Pub; Edinburgh University Press. It is out of print, and quite expensive second hand, but I was fortunate to find one on ebay last year at a more realistic price. This book contains a number of plates showing the basic scale drawings of the vessel which I can scale up to 1:80 scale.

Like you being retired and on a budget, in order to save money, my wife bought me, at my request for Christmas last year this model http://www.hobbystores.co.uk/default.asp?WPG=HOB_HomePage1&itemid=80835 at a very good price which is a similar type Steam Yacht but a little shorter and wider of beam, but I can correct this. This kit will give me 90% of the materials needed for the build. I have another model on the go just now which should be finished in the spring of 2014, then I will make a serious start on the Scotia.

How I got into this project was the BBC program 'The Last Explorers' which included Dr William Speirs Bruce, you can see the program here on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTaTwkiAXBs

Thanks again Derek

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No problem Derek. Research is half the fun!

Just finished a Bangor class minesweeper circa 1940. Over 180 built, 3 versions with different types of propulsion, recip, diesel, turbine. They served the RN, RCN, and RIN. At 180Ft long, a real joy in big seas I bet.

Years of service after 1945 cleaning up allied and axis mines.

Will modify her for a Bathurst Aussie version after I get enough pix/drawings.

Happy holidays all, the dock crew wants off for bad behavior.(Jester)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 98 Posts