Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
During the Eighty’s I sailed with a Captain on the P&O BSD “Gazana”, Captain Mike Hill from Durham.
He sailed on the on the “Vendee” and the “Vosges”, always talking about them, because of there cargo handling equipment.
Anybody else, who also sailed with Captain Mike Hill.

John.

·
Registered
164 Posts
During the Eighty’s I sailed with a Captain on the P&O BSD “Gazana”, Captain Mike Hill from Durham.
He sailed on the on the “Vendee” and the “Vosges”, always talking about them, because of there cargo handling equipment.
Anybody else, who also sailed with Captain Mike Hill.

John.
Hi Macphail,

Sailed with Mike Hill on the Vendee, and before that, on the Wild Curlew.
Oh, he was also on the Strathmuir for a few weeks as a super doing some kind of inventory, when I was on her.
Always got on well with him.

Cheers,
Willie

·
Registered
357 Posts
Have been unable to download Ian Cameron's lead to VOSGES/VENDEE pics in P&O livery. Quite surprised, and wonder whether they actually ever "sported" P&O GCD livery on original delivery passage from Crusader charter (and funnels) to Israel, AGREXCO (Carmel livery) charter when re-named. If this was the case, this must have been the very small window, when they were ever decked in P & O livery.

Can anyone plse elucidate?

Tom

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Tom,

I have various pics of both V's and when they were Z's but not in P & O livery. Attached is a pic of the Zira on her maiden voyage - she was in Crusader livery at that time. Ziada I believe was the last ship to be in BI livery when she went on tials. Zira was in Crusader livery on trials, thence to Liverpool before departure to NZ - very happy days.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Vendee 1977

Got plenty pics of Vendee post Bonifacio Straits if anyone wants copies.
(Will take a while to find negs and scan)

Leyther

·
Registered
53 Posts
Vendee FC

I found the attached pic, dated Easter 1979, of the Vendee football team which played in a tournament in Marseille. 40 years ago, more or less exactly! I wonder if anyone else in the picture will see this - if so, do say hello!

L-R, back row: Derek Vanston, Doug Martin, Kim Erswell, Pete Canham, Dave Nicholas, Arthur Dawes, John McClure.

L-R front row: Austin Guest, S.K. Biswas, R.B. Roy, Dick Dockett, Phil Bowler.

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
The Bonifacio incident proved that these ships were somewhat vulnerable in a bilged condition, presumably an extra bulkhead was fitted when they were lengthened?

regards
Dave

21 - 36 of 36 Posts