Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm looking for a Marconi 365 key to add to my collection. I've been a Full Licence Radio Ham for 2 years (callsign M0JOC) and really want to rekindle my days at sea (mid 70's to early 80's with Houlder Bros) using the 365 - any variant A/B/EZ ..... I'm using a Kent twin paddle, a Bencher BY-2 and a Hi-Mound straight key but miss that great lump of heavyweight refinement in my shack!
I trained at Fleetwood Nautical College 1972 - 1975.
Happy to pay the going rate - just wish now I'd "borrowed" one from the 2 ships I took to scrap whilst at sea !
Many thanks

John O'Connell

Hardwicke Grange, Humboldt, Lynton Grange, Orotava, Abbey, Bidford Priory, Oswestry Grange, Clerk Maxwell

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hi John,

keep an eye open on eBay. Marconi 365s in all variants and conditions show up fairly frequently. Decent keys seem to sell around the £300 mark. If only we’d known then what we know now...
Happy days.
gwzm

·
Registered
83 Posts
John - I too sailed on the HUMBOLT/GYFR!
And guess what? I have a 365B key for sale!
Get in touch via PM/Conversation.
Rgds Bruce/GW4XXF

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
As can be seen from the GTZM 365A above its brass case after removal of original grey paint will polish up very nicely.
Maybe sounds sacrilege to morse key purists but I actually gifted a 365 to a French amateur here as I never took to it's (ball-race) chunky action even when at sea.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Regarding polishing down to shiny brass, it was bad news. In a stinking hot radio room, dripping with sweat, you could get a 'tingle' off the case, which could affect your morse. Worse still, was the removal of the plastic off the tuning knobs of the Mercury/Electra, and polishing them to shiny brass. Fine tuning to GKB and getting a belt, was not a joke.
Sorry for the moan.

Duncs

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi John,

keep an eye open on eBay. Marconi 365s in all variants and conditions show up fairly frequently. Decent keys seem to sell around the £300 mark. If only we’d known then what we know now...
Happy days.
gwzm
I have been for almost 2 years GWZM ;-) Nothing suitable has come up on all the major selling sites.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Doubt there'll be many lying around either the Alang or Gadani Beach shanty town shops these days.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Shocks from the brass case spoiling your sending?
On my first ship the Chief R/O would take the cover off, invert it and use it as an ashtray.
At the end of his watch he would empty into the waste paper basket and bung it back on.
The remaining ash would get between the contacts and ruin MY Morse sending!

Looking at those various keys - why not get an Eddy diecast box, some black plastic and put a Kent key mechanism inside?
Need a bit of jiggery-pokery but it would be pretty close to the real thing!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi
I'm looking for a Marconi 365 key to add to my collection. I've been a Full Licence Radio Ham for 2 years (callsign M0JOC) and really want to rekindle my days at sea (mid 70's to early 80's with Houlder Bros) using the 365 - any variant A/B/EZ ..... I'm using a Kent twin paddle, a Bencher BY-2 and a Hi-Mound straight key but miss that great lump of heavyweight refinement in my shack!
I trained at Fleetwood Nautical College 1972 - 1975.
Happy to pay the going rate - just wish now I'd "borrowed" one from the 2 ships I took to scrap whilst at sea !
Many thanks

John O'Connell

Hardwicke Grange, Humboldt, Lynton Grange, Orotava, Abbey, Bidford Priory, Oswestry Grange, Clerk Maxwell
Hi John were Houlders direct employ? I always thought they were Macs blokes?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi John were Houlders direct employ? I always thought they were Macs blokes?
Houlders were Marconi but I was sponsored by them in my last year at Fleetwood 1974/75 doing the MRRT course and radar. I think P&O, Cunard and Shell did the same thing in 1974 as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts