Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not maritime but I don't know where to put it!! If anyone out there has any knowledge of war medals, I could do with some help. I am attaching a photo of four medals and a bar.
The left one is a Royal Red Cross Decoration. Then the 1939-1945 Star and the Burma Star. The right one is unidentified and the bar is meaningless to me. They were my wife's aunt who served throughout the Burma campaign as a nurse and some input would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
1, Royal Red Cross - for exceptional service or bravery as a nurse. Only awarded to women at the time
2. !939 - 1945 Star. Min 180 days of operation service.
3. Burma Star. Service in the operational area
4. War Medal. Min 28 days service. Sometimes incorrectly called the 'Victory Medal'.

I am guessing that these are miniature medals, worn at formal events in civilian attire.
The 'bar' is a ribbon bar showing the full size ribbons of 2 and 3. Worn on uniform at any time, so would have been worn before the other two were awarded, hence the faded colours.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1, Royal Red Cross - for exceptional service or bravery as a nurse. Only awarded to women at the time
2. !939 - 1945 Star. Min 180 days of operation service.
3. Burma Star. Service in the operational area
4. War Medal. Min 28 days service. Sometimes incorrectly called the 'Victory Medal'.

I am guessing that these are miniature medals, worn at formal events in civilian attire.
The 'bar' is a ribbon bar showing the full size ribbons of 2 and 3. Worn on uniform at any time, so would have been worn before the other two were awarded, hence the faded colours.
Thank you so much. Yes they are miniatures, She also had a full size Indian Nursing Service medal. I know they are worth little and there is now nobody in the family remaining so it is a small problem as to what to do with them. My family - offspring - never knew her and in any case have little interest in this stuff (unfortunately!).

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
I would assume that she served with QAIMNS, that being the case maybe you could donate them to QARANC Association, which is UK registered charity.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would assume that she served with QAIMNS, that being the case maybe you could donate them to QARANC Association, which is UK registered charity.
Yes, one idea. She was indeed with that association and from old correspondence we have, was highly thought of. Many thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts