Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we more or less know about most ww2 built ships,this photo of the trinadad, i belive is war time built,i think some type of victory ship,i have seen a few but not to many around over the years,any answers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
War Time built Ships.

Hi Dom
The ship pictured is definitely not a Victory Ship, I think she may be a type C2. class cargo vessel built in the mid 1940s, some I believe were motorships, but the majority were steam turbine powered. The Whil. Whilhamsen vessel pictured 'Trinidad' was built as the 'Cape Meredith' in 1943 by Consolidated Steel Corp. USA and was powered by two steam turbines.
I hope this helps. regards Bruce. (*))

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
War time built ships

Dom,
I mistakenly identified the 'Trinidad' as a type C2, cargo vessel, I shoiuld have said C1, my mistake, got the numbers wrong. regards Bruce

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dom

thanks both of you,i knew she was'nt the normal type of victory ship,but was'nt sure of her class,as i said i did'nt see to many of them.dom

·
Registered
766 Posts
Victory class

Wairata, built 1943 was, I understand, was a C1-A Type Vistory ship. Built as Cape Igvak. Sold to Union Company 1947. I sailed on it and have a very nice photo of it hanging on its wall. I am in the photo. She was powered by two motors through rebuction gears to single shaft. Whe also had a band rivited around it to strength the ship.
Jim B (Thumb)

·
Registered
74 Posts
wartime built ships.

John, that band that was riveted around the ship was demanded by Lloyds who would not insure any ship that was only welded. They had to have that strengthener put in place and you would find them on all mass produced vessels that were purchased by shipping companies after the war.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts