Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I joined the MV Woolwich 30-Dec-1955 first trip to sea deck boy.
It was a 9 month voyage.For the time the accommadation was great.
Abs had there own cabins i shared cabins with the catering boy.

·
STORES
940 Posts
re the greenwich,

hi i sailed on the wanstead, my brother on beaconsfield and woolwich, am writing a history of watts watts ships, would be grateful for any photos, cheers, stores.

·
STORES
940 Posts
I was on the Greenwich from May 1957 to September 1958. Anybody out there who was on her at the same time?
hi dont know if you want a photo of Greenwich, am waiting for some to arrive from New Zealand in about 3 weeks, including Greenwich, can copy one for you if needed.. stores.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
I made a couple of trips on the Willesden and on the Beckenham,have pictures if you would like to have them, please PM me with your address. It was a very good company to sail with.
John.

·
STORES
940 Posts
I made a couple of trips on the Willesden and on the Beckenham,have pictures if you would like to have them, please PM me with your address. It was a very good company to sail with.
John.
hi john, any pics of watts ships would be great, my email is, [email protected]. home address is tony wilding ,32 hurst grove ramsgate , kent ,ct12 6db, thanks , tony.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Watts Watts

Hello

My father Trevor (Courtney) Jones worked on board a Watts Watts ship for a number of years during the late 40s and in the 50s.

I have a number of pictures that he too whilst he was at sea and remember that one of them is of the Beckenham.

Unfortunately my father died a couple of weeks ago and I have only stumbled across this thread in the course of writing about his life.

Could I ask whether any of you remember him or worked with him?

Much appreciated.

Simon

·
Registered
135 Posts
I joined the Weybridge in Durban as an EDH in July 1960.
Very unusual ship, strange shaped bow and stern and the crew accomodation was in the tween decks.
I've got a very poor picture of it which I'll try to upload.

·
Registered
10,573 Posts
Apologies for the quality.
Monket, if I remember correctly her unusual Hull shape was due to the Owner's/designers? interested in the profile of a Dolphin/Shark and how smooth they travelled through the water

·
Registered
1 Posts
John Livings

Two of my uncles, Fred Livings & Ted Livings were with Watts Watts in the 1950`s. I remember that one or other were on Wanstead, Wendover & Greenwich.
Also Ted was on Wanstead when chartered to Port Line as Port Wanstead.
Both uncles long since crossed the bar, but were great characters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Simon, what was the time frame your father was on the Beckenham.

John.
Thank you for getting back to me on this. My father must have been on the Beckenham between 1947 when he was 18 and the late 50s (before he went on to Join Union Castle having become an officer). He started off with Watts Watts spending his time 'chipping and painting' the vessel he was on and I know that at one stage he was sailing around the south coast of Australia shipping coal one way and iron ore the other.

Any information gratefully received. Thank you.

Simon

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Simon, I was on the Beckenham from the end of August 1952 thru Oct 1952, joined her in Manchester and left her in Middlesbrough.One trip down to North Africa.

John.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Watts-Watts Greenwich 1908

Hello. I am new to this forum and I trust that I am doing the right thing, but I note that someone is writing a history of the Watts-Watts line and may be able to help me.
My real interest is learning more about he death of my Grandfather William Henry Bowdon ADSHEAD. He was the master of the Greenwich in 1908 and died at sea somewhere in the Pacific Ocean, probably just off the Galapagos Islands.
He married my Grandmother in Wilmslow in Dec 1906 and after 6 months sailed off in the Greenwich, and all she ever knew was a telegram received in May 1908 that he was dead. The relevant ships logs were sent to Newfoundland during WW2 and so far I have not been ableto locate a copy.
I have found an interesting USA Immigration record when the Greenwich called in at Seattle in Jan 1908 for Japan: 28 crew from all round the world and against 10 of them is stamped "Deserted".
I have just found an article in the Victoria BC Daily Colonist 30May 1908 about his death. Saying he was well known in Victoria and that his previous ship the steamer Hounslow was lost on the Costa Rican coast soon after she left Esqulmalt and he returned home.

Is it possible that someone on this forum can help me find any other sources of information about these incidents and the Watts-Watts company please ?

Best regards Gordon Adshead

Just in case anyone is interested I have a few (small) photos and a complete set of papers as my Grandfather served his apprenticeship [parchment - paid £5 after 4 years] and the commendation certificates and letters as he rose through the ranks of 3rd, 2nd, officer, mate etc.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Watts Watts

I was on a Watts Watts ship; thw SS Willesden. She was originally a wartime built empire boat. We went from Tilbury to Sydney in 1949 then to Japan and Vancouver and home via Panama. I think that they were a very good company. I have a photo of her taken in Sydney Harbour

1 - 20 of 41 Posts