Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how Brexit is getting on? I think Boris should now have the decency to change his mantra from "Getting it done" to "Getting us done" . Honest to God, you couldn't make it up.

Reactions: John N MacDonald

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
A total mess. However for some people the realm of the democratic encompasses self immolation. Immolation itself I am happy with. My body is mine to do with as I choose without superstition demanding other. However we are in the same hellbound handcart as the brexit half-a-nose-in-fronters with no way of disembarking.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I will never forget the look of disbelief and absolute dejection on the face of Speaker Bercow as he was forced into playing along with the Tory (mis)government farce of Prorogation - simply to push through Brexit.

The people of the UK were bamboozled by the Brexit plebiscite and then fell for it again in the last election.

Would the decisions have been different had the ultimate costs been made clear at the outset? I hoped so.

Rational thinkers (those not swayed by the immigration and "freedom" hype in the popular press) should have tipped it the other way.

And with eleven days to go we still don't know!

If there was anywhere to escape to I would "get my coat"!!!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Sadly logic was never a consideration. Brexit is more akin to a hate filled religion whose adherents would sacrifice anything and anybody to achieve their rather dubious goal.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sadly logic was never a consideration. Brexit is more akin to a hate filled religion whose adherents would sacrifice anything and anybody to achieve their rather dubious goal.
Could not agree more, British fishing grounds for British fishermen not to good if the majority of the catch is exported at the moment and with Brexit we get to keep all the fish but can't export it or I am reading this wrong.

·
Registered
213 Posts
John - your logic is quite correct.

Could we in the UK (or GB as NI seems to be left out in limbo) actually eat all that fish and seafood?

I like my fish'n'chips, scampi and prawns (not keen on scallops) but there are limits!

Might save us importing meat though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
'Might save us importing meat though' We have plenty of the stuff here in Oz, The Chinese are playing silly buggers again with our exports, so we need new markets !!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
French fishermen want a cod war while Dutch fishermen are running scared as 80% of their
catch is from UK waters.

·
Registered
174 Posts
French fishermen want a cod war while Dutch fishermen are running scared as 80% of their
catch is from UK waters.
The fishing side of the Common Market/EEC/EU has always seemed odd.

Fishermen were sold out by the Government of the time when we joined, and it seems as if they could be again now.

Working in VTS, about twice a year, we had a convoy of 6-8 British registered but Dutch owned (Urk?) trawlers who had bought British licences. They had to land the catch, I think, twice per year in the UK to retain the 'British' licence. They landed the catch on the quay-straight into a Dutch lorry which then went on the ferry back to the Netherlands......

Martyn

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
No fish eater will lose out only one lot of catchers to another. The market will find a way of connecting supplier with customer. Less optimistically I fear that should the political 'pull' of the fishing 'fleet' which fights at a much higher weight than its economic mass justifies that any government would simply sacrifice them. Like the mines, it is a lousy and dangerous job and I am not sure we should not be thankful if someone else did it.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I care a lot more about the post-Brexit health of the UK's economy and the cost of the food on the table than I do about what boat caught the fish I eat. Get a deal and sod the fishermen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts