Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
South Africa is not usually on the map for severe flooding - although periodically it happens - the last few days have seen massive flooding in the Port of Durban - with the port closed - attached images reflect the damage to the container area View attachment 691274 View attachment 691275 View attachment 691276 View attachment 691277 View attachment 691278
Jesus what a mess, keep a lookout for bull sharks in the deeper water, you don't want a tickle off them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I worked on product tankers on the SA coast in the late 80s. We spent weeks at anchor after Durban, and the refinery there, were hit by massive floods. Nothing new as far as I can see but I‘m sure it plays well with the ‘climate emergency’ narrative.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I worked on product tankers on the SA coast in the late 80s. We spent weeks at anchor after Durban, and the refinery there, were hit by massive floods. Nothing new as far as I can see but I‘m sure it plays well with the ‘climate emergency’ narrative.
You must have been on moss tankers then Paul

·
Registered
458 Posts
My first ship was a Moss Tanker - I was a Brocklebank cadet but they sent me to the Lucigen, 9.5 months away but good for seatime!
Lucigen was before my time Alan, did you come across an engineer called Tommy bampton on there? My time on the product tankers was spent mostly on luminetta,lumiere and one trip on Energos (ex Mobil refiner) which was watchkeeping and not as enjoyable for various reasons.All trips were on yarpie coast and durban to Walvis Bay with occasional trip up to Richards Bay, hard workers but great fun when tools downed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You didn't do a trip with me and Steve percival did you, I was 4th eng,Steve 3eng and Tommy was chief.on the luminetta I think it was.
The name rings a bell! I did 4 trips on Lumiere in 87 and 88 then 1 trip on Luminetta in 89. Left Cunard at the end of 1989 to work in the North Sea. Do you know Port Line / Cunard Cargo has a FB page?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts