Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been contacted by a student at Brunel Uni who is researching the above. She would like to make contact with any of the crew with a view to conducting an interview to aid her research.
Can anyone help.

Margaret Dalzell
PA to Chairman
J & J Denholm Ltd

email deleted to avoid spam

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
hi margaret if you email me i will give you the phone no of the cook who was on there at the time sadly he has passed away but his wife might be able to help i think some of them kept in touch with them regards kevin.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
If you want, I have a copy of the Denholm News covering the incident.

Kevin ; who was cook, Thought I knew most of the crowd on board at the
time.

JC

·
Banned
48 Posts
Margaret, a warm welcome to the site and I’m sure that one or more of the SN Members will be able to assist you, and I am sure that the student will appreciate your kindness in trying to open the door to her research.

In keeping with the moves we have made previously, I have deleted your e-mail address ,as we have found the open posting of addresses does cause some problems. If and when any of the Members wish to make contact with you, it is a relatively easy operation for them to send either a P/M or an email via the system

Enjoy the site and all it has to offer.
Tonga

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Kevin,

That's a shame. Didn't know that Pat had passed away. He was one of the best
cooks I ever sailed with and was always very proud (and protective)of his craft.
Sailed with him on the GTV's and also on the Caledonian Forest.

Yes , Hector Connel was master on the Wellpark at the time of the incident.

JC

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Wellpark - Vietnamese Boat People

Margaret,

One of my neighbours (David Nelson) was 2/0 or 3/O on Wellpark at the time. He has an album of photographs and thank you letters from some of the Vietnamese. Send me a PM or email via SN and I'll see what we can sort out for you! (Thumb)

Rgds,

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Margaret,

I've noted and removed Jo's email address from the public area of SN. I'll certainly try to get David and Jo in touch with each other.
Have a good weekend yourself - unfortunately, I am working! (Thumb)

If any other members can help Jo with her research, give me a PM and I'll pass on her email address.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
hi john, i think that was hectors first trip old man did you know wee pat and big dougie had a slight disagreement on one of the gtvs he was cook on the cast husky maiden voyage if you remember wewere all mad about the korean sausages till bob cotter told us it was dog meat it turned out to be true regards kevin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello and thankyou

I would like to say a massive thankyou to Margaret from Denholm for her help - this website is great!
As she said I am a student at Brunel University. One of my collleagues at work is of Vietnamese descent and told me the amazing story of how him and his parents left Vietnam in Oct 1978 in a fishing-boat to escape the new Communist regime. Thankfully they were picked up by the Wellpark and given sanctuary by the British and are eternally grateful; many refugees had already drowned in the South China Sea.

I would dearly love to contact any crew who were on the Wellpark when the refugees were rescued. David Nelson sounds a great contact, and the Cook's wife. The captain was indeed Hector Connell and apparently he was only 31 at the time (1978), so it would be great to talk to him too. Any contacts would be much appreciated.

I get the impression I can't put my email address on - let me know if I can! I'm a bit confused about how I contact people on this site...

Many thanks for everyone's interest and help.

Jo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Joanne,

We discourage people from putting their email addresses on postings because there are s*** out there that have software that scan sites looking for email addresses. Once they get your email address you are likely to get a large quantity of annoying and offensive stuff coming your way including attempts to put viruses on your computer.

SN members will contact you via either putting postings on the threads on the site (such as this one) or sending you a Personal Message (PM) - again through the facilities of the site. You will be made aware that you have a PM by a message when you log on - you can't miss it. PMs are not accessible to hackers so the situation is under your control

If you decide you want to provide individual members with your private email address for any reason you can do this securely via a PM .

I hope this information helps and that you have success with your enquiry.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kevin,
No I didn't get any email from you or pm. I haven't heard from Margaret either about info from you... Can you resend?
Thanks very much, jo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Searching for Captain Hector Connell and crew of the Wellpark 1978

Hi, my name is Joanne and I am a student at Brunel University. At my workplace I am friends with a young man who was rescued in Oct 1978 by the Denholm ship the Wellpark. He was only 4 at the time and his family were all Vietnamese Boat People, escaping life in Vietnam. The family are indebted to the crew and I am researching the story for a college project.
I am trying to track down any crew of the Wellpark at the time, Hector Connell especially who was the captain.
Thankyou for any assistance.
Regards, joanne

1 - 20 of 98 Posts